Bug: Cutting and pasting special characters

nirvanagold

Idea

When cutting and pasting special characters (I have checked angled brackets and ampersands), they do not cut as expected, but rather as their underlying HTML-encoded entities. For example:

• A cut "<" pastes as "&lt;"
  • A cut "&" pastes as "&amp;"

I usually have three fonts available in my menu: Arial, Courier New and Helvetica Neue. I'm not exactly sure why it's these three, or if it's easy/possible to add more, but depending on where my cursor is, sometimes Arial is not listed! Anyway, I notice the above issue occurs for Courier New and Helvetica Neue, but not for Arial. It seems like it shouldn't really happen, regardless of which font is used.

I notice it is the cutting at fault, because a character cut from Arial pastes as expected into a paragraph using Courier New, say. But not so vice-versa. "Paste and Match Style" makes no difference.

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, nirvanagold said:

When cutting and pasting special characters (I have checked angled brackets and ampersands), they do not cut as expected, but rather as their underlying HTML-encoded entities

Some question to help narrow/clarify the issue:

1. What versions of EN Mac and macOS are you running?
  2. Does this always occur, whether in a new Note you manually typed or in a note created from the web clipper?

Hi there and thanks for your comment.

Evernote Version 6.13.3 (455969 Direct) Editor: 1.30.3433 (fec246b).

I just tried clipping this page: https://www.freeformatter.com/html-entities.html

When clipped as "Full page" or "Article" the note ends up all being set in Helvetica Neue and when I copy and paste a symbol it is indeed pasted as its HTML entity, not as the symbol. However, when I clip it as "Simplified article" then the font is Arial and the issue does not occur.

I wonder if you can shed any light on how, and which, fonts appear in the menu at all actually, because I do see some inconsistency there. I seem to recall something about Evernote using the "Web" collection of FontBook but I'm not sure if that is still the case - there's nothing in that collection on my Mac.

Still seems this probably shouldn't happen for any font.

Archived