Why Aren't Spaces Available in Personal Version?

Guest Greg F

Idea

Why aren't spaces available in personal premium version ?   It seems like a much better way to organize notebooks instead of stacks.       

It seems like a better alternative to Quip now that you allow notebooks to be organized.   Does it fix the note system issues between devices and users?      

68 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 1/31/2019 at 3:36 AM, jcook said:

What is the product roadmap for releasing Spaces with the premium Trim option? When will it be GA? Can I join an CA group for premium?

It seems like further development of Spaces has been dropped, and the person in charge of Spaces issues here on the forum has also left Evernote..

• Ex Employees

@gustavgi As the new CEO noted in his blog post, we're actively working to fix issues in the core Evernote product that result in a lot of the bugs you see in our clients and the speed at which we're able to move forward and build new features. This means that feature development, like bringing Spaces to personal, is on hold while we address these issues. As was noted, we previously definitely intended to bring the Spaces feature to personal users, and I'm hopeful we'll come right back to it once we've finished fixing the core issues. But, I can honestly say it won't be until at least later this year. Also, I'm not personally responsible for prioritization of feature development, so can't promise anything for sure. But, I'm pretty confident that something like Spaces for personal would be core to our future plans.

On 9/4/2018 at 9:36 AM, Kitezh47 said:

@Leo Gong

It's been more than 9 months since the arrival of Spaces for Evernote Business.

Therefore, two questions:

1) When will Spaces be added for Evernote Personal? I believe I'm not alone in saying that a specific timeframe for Spaces in Evernote Personal would be greatly appreciated.

2) When will Spaces support nesting (putting spaces in other spaces, so that there is a folder-like structure)?

Thank you in advance for your response to the questions above.

thumbs up for you

On 2/21/2018 at 4:49 AM, Leo Gong said:

We're working on it! Spaces are a pretty big architectural change (from both UX and technical perspectives), and work best for Teams - which is why we're launching for Business first. We're looking into bring Spaces to personal too - I'd love to have one for my family too. :)

very good news . but we still waiting for a long time. evernote premium will become perfect with spaces and now is incomplete

• Level 5*
On 11/21/2018 at 3:16 AM, Toiyeubongda said:

Some people require more or less personal space, depending on their cultural and personal needs.

The question here pertains to the Spaces feature currently available in the Business edition of Evernote, not anything related to capacity.

@Leo Gong

It's been more than 9 months since the arrival of Spaces for Evernote Business.

Therefore, two questions:

1) When will Spaces be added for Evernote Personal? I believe I'm not alone in saying that a specific timeframe for Spaces in Evernote Personal would be greatly appreciated.

2) When will Spaces support nesting (putting spaces in other spaces, so that there is a folder-like structure)?

Thank you in advance for your response to the questions above.

The most annoying thing is having to log into another account. Evernote, its extremely cumbersome to literally have to TOGGLE accounts and separate your personal and business when its just a space. I run a sales team and i had to ditch spaces because it doesnt seem to be designed for outbound sharing, it requires me to segregate my Evernote Pre Account content and it requires other users a Per sub account which not Everyone is willing to give up and deal with TOGGLING. Fix this madness, i can never understand why one would have to go back and forth to segment their content instead of just having spaces be apart of the premium account as a added cost option. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jeffsf said:

... allow one to browse and edit tags without digging into the settings, I'd adopt them as my organizational system in a heartbeat. Until then, they are just another half-measure. PS: The ability to browse information stored in categories is important in a large information system. Remembering precisely what to search for, including what tags are available, gets overwhelming. In your house, you search for a shovel by first going to your garage and "browsing" there. You don't search the whole house. And shovel is easy because you know it's name but what about that "thingy" that you named a year and a half ago and put somewhere.

I'm not into browsing; my data or my tools.
I just want the shovel to be at hand, without having to remember where I stored it.
title:"garden shovel"   tag:tools-shovels

>>Yes, but not if the system is not implemented on any iOS devices.

I agree; the tag hierarchy feature needs to be available on all platforms.
I use this feature to  organize my tags.

On 3/16/2018 at 7:07 AM, Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy said:

Nested Folders may work great for Cloud systems that store large media files/data, but for building a information database, i think the Tagging system that we have in Evernote works much better.

Yes, but not if the system is not implemented on any iOS devices. If Evernote would fully implement nested tags on all platforms, and allow one to browse and edit tags without digging into the settings, I'd adopt them as my organizational system in a heartbeat. Until then, they are just another half-measure. PS: The ability to browse information stored in categories is important in a large information system. Remembering precisely what to search for, including what tags are available, gets overwhelming. In your house, you search for a shovel by first going to your garage and "browsing" there. You don't search the whole house. And shovel is easy because you know it's name but what about that "thingy" that you named a year and a half ago and put somewhere. Well, if it's a garden tool, you "browse" in the place where you keep garden tools. (Yes, you can search Evernote in a particular notebook, but that gets us back to nested notebooks. Catch 22!)

It's been four months since the first post about having the option of having Spaces on a personal account.  Still, no word on when it will happen.   Meanwhile, every time I sign on to my account on the Web I am asked to sign up for a business account.  Let me be clear again: If I am interested, I will sign up!  I have made it clear that I want to integrate it with my personal account.  I am very disappointed that there hasn't been more movement in this offer--Spaces with a Personal account.

On 3/15/2018 at 10:13 PM, N. Lum said:

... I would sign up on Evernote Business if you allowed just to sign up individually--not signing up with two accounts at once.  It is very annoying that you keep on asking me to "try" the free trial...

I agree.  I signed up for Business to check out Spaces.  Spaces are great, but not worth paying for two accounts when you only need one...

5 minutes ago, Scott T. said:

@Sayre Ambrosio Out of curiosity, how do you use WorkChat on a daily basis? What purpose is it serving in your business/workflow?

We use Evernote business for my sons school and use it so for example, if he’s working on an assignment he will send a chat asking me a question and send a link to what he’s working on. 

I also help other authors with editing and brainstorming. They will send me the link to what they are working on via workchat and that way everything is in one place. 

• Ex Employees
On 3/16/2019 at 11:38 PM, Kitezh47 said:

Yes, nesting notebooks (so that there can be sub-notebooks as well as sub-sub-notebooks and so on) would be better than nesting Spaces.

How soon will the nesting feature arrive for notebooks?

A timeframe would be much appreciated.

The current Evernote architecture is built such that we are unable to offer nesting of notebooks within notebooks. We have a strict hierarchy of a note lives in a notebook. A notebook can live in a space (for business customers). And in most clients (except the latest web client, for now), you can put a set of notebooks inside a stack. But that was it. This is why a lot of people use tags. As @DTLow mentioned, you get unlimited levels of tags. Basically, our system stores a tag and an optional reference to its parent tag. So it's essentially a linked list (for computer science majors).

The new architecture we're working on should free us from the hinderances of the existing hierarchy, allowing us to build various new features such as multiple levels of nested notebooks. I don't personally define our roadmap, so can't provide any details on if multiple levels of notebooks would be in the near future. I'm just saying we could theoretically support it.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Kitezh47 said:

Yes, nesting notebooks (so that there can be sub-notebooks as well as sub-sub-notebooks and so on) would be better than nesting Spaces.

afaik  There are no plans for "sub-notebooks as well as sub-sub-notebooks and so on"

So far, Evernote's design is to create a Stack or Space element to organize notebooks.

A hierarchy has been implemented for the Tag element.
It allows for unlimited sub levels

On 13.03.2019 at 23:42, Scott T. said:

@Kitezh47 I expect to see Spaces coming to the personal product once we've finished with the re-architecture work we are undertaking now (as noted by the CEO). We recognize the value of having a space where you can invite other personal users, vs. the existing feature of just other members of the business. I cannot give any time frame since we effectively put our feature roadmap on hold while we complete the re-architecture. I think we'll be re-evaluating the entire roadmap and reprioritizing features.

Putting a space into another space would be an interesting feature. What do you see as a use case? In general, Spaces is a feature which allows you to easily apply permissions to a set of users. This allows any notes/notebooks added to the space to be auto-shared to members at their granted permissions. Nesting of content within a space is managed by notebooks. I'm not sure that nesting a space within a space would make sense. Would it just be better to have multiple levels of notebooks? I know we currently don't allow nested notebooks in spaces (an issue with our current system design and not a business policy by choice), but I think you'd be more likely to see a feature for multiple levels of notebooks rather than nesting spaces.

• Ex Employees

@Kitezh47 I expect to see Spaces coming to the personal product once we've finished with the re-architecture work we are undertaking now (as noted by the CEO). We recognize the value of having a space where you can invite other personal users, vs. the existing feature of just other members of the business. I cannot give any time frame since we effectively put our feature roadmap on hold while we complete the re-architecture. I think we'll be re-evaluating the entire roadmap and reprioritizing features.

Putting a space into another space would be an interesting feature. What do you see as a use case? In general, Spaces is a feature which allows you to easily apply permissions to a set of users. This allows any notes/notebooks added to the space to be auto-shared to members at their granted permissions. Nesting of content within a space is managed by notebooks. I'm not sure that nesting a space within a space would make sense. Would it just be better to have multiple levels of notebooks? I know we currently don't allow nested notebooks in spaces (an issue with our current system design and not a business policy by choice), but I think you'd be more likely to see a feature for multiple levels of notebooks rather than nesting spaces.

On 05.03.2019 at 06:59, Scott T. said:

@Sayre Ambrosio Thanks for the insight. I mentioned your feedback in a meeting I was in earlier about WorkChat. It fit well with what our usability/research team found when talking to various customers about their WorkChat usage. As we work on new features, it sounds like we will make sure we address individual use cases of WorkChat (like commenting or strict chatting) before any deprecation of it. But, it's an active discussion right now.

@Scott T. 

Are Spaces coming to Evernote Personal (Premium version)? If so, what's the timeframe?

Will it become possible to put a Space into another Space (nesting)?

• Ex Employees

@Sayre Ambrosio Thanks for the insight. I mentioned your feedback in a meeting I was in earlier about WorkChat. It fit well with what our usability/research team found when talking to various customers about their WorkChat usage. As we work on new features, it sounds like we will make sure we address individual use cases of WorkChat (like commenting or strict chatting) before any deprecation of it. But, it's an active discussion right now.

16 minutes ago, Scott T. said:

In both these cases, would a proper commenting system solve this problem? If you have the ability to comment on notes and "@ mention" a person (which would generate a notification to them) eliminate the need for WorkChat?

That would be super helpful. Especially if I'm doing line edits on a manuscript. Say my friend has a section that i think needs work. Being able to highlight something and do an @comment (inline or even have a side column open) would be great. RIght now how we do it is I have to go in and highlight the section and then say something like, 'the first highlighted section needs this', 'the fourth highlighted section needs this'. Different highlighter colors would come in handy too. Or if the commenting system had the ability to color code the person commenting.

I hope that makes sense.

• Ex Employees
1 minute ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

We use Evernote business for my sons school and use it so for example, if he’s working on an assignment he will send a chat asking me a question and send a link to what he’s working on. 

I also help other authors with editing and brainstorming. They will send me the link to what they are working on via workchat and that way everything is in one place. 

In both these cases, would a proper commenting system solve this problem? If you have the ability to comment on notes and "@ mention" a person (which would generate a notification to them) eliminate the need for WorkChat?

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, ronmccord said:

I do not want Business or have multiple user scenarios!!

What do you see as the value of Spaces for your  use?

1 minute ago, Scott T. said:

@Sayre Ambrosio FYI, I heard back from the Clipper team. They confirmed that the Google clipper is newer and fully supports Spaces, while Safari is slated for an update. But there's a decent amount of work to do in order to update the Safari plugin. It's on our roadmap, but I can't provide any specific details.

That’s awesome! Thanks for the heads up. 😊

• Ex Employees

@Sayre Ambrosio FYI, I heard back from the Clipper team. They confirmed that the Google clipper is newer and fully supports Spaces, while Safari is slated for an update. But there's a decent amount of work to do in order to update the Safari plugin. It's on our roadmap, but I can't provide any specific details.

1 hour ago, Scott T. said:

@Rblover69 As I mentioned, I can't speak to what our product roadmap will look like in the future and what features will be prioritized, but I can say this: We are currently evaluating the WorkChat feature and what we can do to improve or replace it. The feature serves two main purposes: Notifications of sharing and chat. Sharing is being updated now and "Shared With Me" is ultimately the place a user will go to see everything they've been shared. As for chat, we're evaluating what we want to do with it. We're not a chat program like Slack, but we have a decent amount of paying users/businesses who actively use the feature, so we want to understand use cases and what we can do to maintain/replace that functionality should we decide in the future to deprecate WorkChat. This is all still being actively investigated, so no decisions are pending at the moment. 

Just wanted to chime in that I would personally be devastated if work chat were to be no more. Use it daily. As for spaces the only complaint I have is that when using safari I don’t see the notebooks inside the spaces when clipping. I don’t like google chrome but when clipping to business side of things I am forced to use it because of that limitation. 

• Ex Employees

@Rblover69 As I mentioned, I can't speak to what our product roadmap will look like in the future and what features will be prioritized, but I can say this: We are currently evaluating the WorkChat feature and what we can do to improve or replace it. The feature serves two main purposes: Notifications of sharing and chat. Sharing is being updated now and "Shared With Me" is ultimately the place a user will go to see everything they've been shared. As for chat, we're evaluating what we want to do with it. We're not a chat program like Slack, but we have a decent amount of paying users/businesses who actively use the feature, so we want to understand use cases and what we can do to maintain/replace that functionality should we decide in the future to deprecate WorkChat. This is all still being actively investigated, so no decisions are pending at the moment. 

13 hours ago, Scott T. said:

@gustavgi As the new CEO noted in his blog post, we're actively working to fix issues in the core Evernote product that result in a lot of the bugs you see in our clients and the speed at which we're able to move forward and build new features. This means that feature development, like bringing Spaces to personal, is on hold while we address these issues. As was noted, we previously definitely intended to bring the Spaces feature to personal users, and I'm hopeful we'll come right back to it once we've finished fixing the core issues. But, I can honestly say it won't be until at least later this year. Also, I'm not personally responsible for prioritization of feature development, so can't promise anything for sure. But, I'm pretty confident that something like Spaces for personal would be core to our future plans.

Will the business Spaces feature be worked on aswell currently we use spaces but dread the workchat and heavily want a floating chat to share EN notes and better notifications of notebook updates and message notifications and grouping of users in chats. 

On 2/20/2018 at 5:19 PM, Leo Gong said:

We're working on it! Spaces are a pretty big architectural change (from both UX and technical perspectives), and work best for Teams - which is why we're launching for Business first. We're looking into bring Spaces to personal too - I'd love to have one for my family too. :)

There's a technology that's been around since 1984 that would solve the same problem and have no UX learning curve at all - nested folders. Does Evernote continue to resist this proven organization system because "it wasn't invented here"? If not that reason, then why in the world?

12 hours ago, Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy said:

Nested Folders may work great for Cloud systems that store large media files/data, but for building a information database, i think the Tagging system that we have in Evernote works much better.

If Evernote wants to go exclusively with tags, then they need to fully implement the nesting system for tags. It's absent from the phone and tablet versions and also in some views on the Mac version. 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, jefito said:

To amplify this, there's a concept that's been around before well since 1984 (and hierarchical directories in Unix predate MS-DOS 2's directory system by at least 10 years) that has solved the problem of knowledge categorization, and also should have no user experience learning curve at all : keywords (or their equivalents: labels, categories, and Evernote tags, or even, if you will, adjectives in language). Evernote didn't invent tags, they just chose them as a way to organize notes, in preference to arbitrarily nested containers. They work really well, but it does seem that their thinking is changing on the concept of hierarchical storage. We'll see how that plays out; they seemingly have Spaces at the forefront now, and that's going to take some fleshing out.

If Spaces are about collaboration and dropping whatever into any and many given Spaces, then logically it sounds like tags on steroids to me (many to many relationship versus a tree structure).  Maybe the only way to present it physically is with an hierarchical display layer.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy said:
On 3/11/2018 at 2:25 PM, jeffsf said:

There's a technology that's been around since 1984 that would solve the same problem and have no UX learning curve at all - nested folders. Does Evernote continue to resist this proven organization system because "it wasn't invented here"? If not that reason, then why in the world?

To amplify this, there's a concept that's been around before well since 1984 (and hierarchical directories in Unix predate MS-DOS 2's directory system by at least 10 years) that has solved the problem of knowledge categorization, and also should have no user experience learning curve at all : keywords (or their equivalents: labels, categories, and Evernote tags, or even, if you will, adjectives in language). Evernote didn't invent tags, they just chose them as a way to organize notes, in preference to arbitrarily nested containers. They work really well, but it does seem that their thinking is changing on the concept of hierarchical storage. We'll see how that plays out; they seemingly have Spaces at the forefront now, and that's going to take some fleshing out.

• Evernote Expert
On 3/11/2018 at 11:55 PM, jeffsf said:

It is very annoying that as I posted my request for Spaces on the Premium side, every time I sign into my Web version of my account, I get this pop up asking if I want to have a free trial of Evernote Business.  As I mentioned, I would sign up on Evernote Business if you allowed just to sign up individually--not signing up with two accounts at once.  It is very annoying that you keep on asking me to "try" the free trial.  Is there a way that you can stop asking me to try the free trial, pleeeeaasseee?

• Level 5*
On 2018-03-14 at 3:57 PM, jeffsf said:

Tag hierarchy not implemented in phone and tablet versions.

Good point.  I'd like to see tag hierarchy implemented on all device/platforms
This will complete the work Evernote started when they implemented this hierarchy

>>Therefore, not an adequate substitute for folders.

Just to be clear, the Tag feature is a method to quickly access notes per a specific subject(s).
Folders are not an adequate substitute for this.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jeffsf said:

There's a technology that's been around since 1984 that would solve the same problem and have no UX learning curve at all - nested folders.

Its not clear what problem you think would be solved.

"Nested folders" has been a long time concept, even before the use of computers.

When Evernote implemented their digital filing system, they used the name "Tag".  It includes an unlimited hierarchy (Win/Mac/Web)

A rose by any other name ...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jeffsf said:

If Evernote wants to go exclusively with tags, then they need to fully implement the nesting system for tags. It's absent from the phone and tablet versions and also in some views on the Mac version. 

I make use of the tag hierarchy page (Mac) to organize my tags.  It's not a feature I use on a regular basis.

For my use, a standard naming convention is more useful than the hierarchy.  For example, instead of using tags red/green/blue, I use colour-red/colour-green/colour-blue.

20 hours ago, DTLow said:

The Spaces feature does look useful.
Are there other reasons you'd consider switching the a Business Account?  The price increase is significant.

That is why I have decided not to get Evernote Business and Spaces.  It is unfortunate that I cannot be a part of being on Spaces.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, N. Lum said:

I was thinking about signing up for Evernote Business, however, it requires two users to start up--which I don't have another person to commit to using it for the price in mind.

The Spaces feature does look useful.
Are there other reasons you'd consider switching the a Business Account?  The price increase is significant.

I was thinking about signing up for Evernote Business, however, it requires two users to start up--which I don't have another person to commit to using it for the price in mind.  I would be very pleased if you would offer Spaces to personal users, because that is exactly what I need to promote others to use Evernote.  I have been a user since 2011, and would love to have the option to work as a team.  The sooner you can get this rolled out to personal accounts the better!

I would like to see Spaces in the personal version as well. 

I think the next step of organization for my notes is a visual area where I can "play with" our notes, notebooks the way we want to. Pin them to the top, or spread the notes on a table and review them all together making and creating connections. 

The spaces might be coming close to my vision/needs therefore I hope it will (or a similar version of it) makes it to the personal accounts in the near future.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Leo Gong said:

Nesting / nb hierarchy is something I've written about before: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/96180-nesting-multiple-notebooks-creating-sub-notebooks/?page=11#comment-496455 (tldr; we need it, it's in the plans to be added).

Just sitting here waiting patiently for Spaces to arrive in the personal edition, as I don't really want to hop up to the Business edition for awhile, only to have to hop off again (since Business is overkill for my use case)... :) 

On the topic of tags: allowing notebooks and notes to live in multiple spaces is definitely where we're headed towards in the medium term. Once that's possible, this would solve for a significant amount of the "Tags" use case (ie. I want to be able to organize my content in multiple different ways), especially if you imagine a world where notebooks can be nested in multiple layers.

I'm assuming that 'notebooks being nested in multiple layers' really means that a notebook can reside in multiple Spaces, since there's no such thing as 'layers' in Evernote, unless that's a generic term for 'things that can include notebooks' (i.e. stacks and Spaces, as far as I know currently, but maybe eventually other notebooks?). In any case, this scenario makes ample sense to me; a Space would be sort of a view (in the DB sense) on a collection of notebooks (assuming that you can nest a notebook that's shared to you in a Space, as you can in a Stack). Tags in a shared world are currently problematic (again, looking at it from the personal edition side of things; my tags are my tags, and your tags are yours, and they can overlap in terms of identical tags names even though they may mean the same thing), but in general, they should be able to flow across other containers freely, as they do currently inside a single account. Tags across multiple accounts is trickier, but that shouldn't be insurmountable.

Would that make tags obsolete? Certainly not... one of the other use cases I've encountered with tags through talking to users, is that people use them as a way to add structured data to notes. ie. they'll mark a recipe note with "gluten", "french", "breakfast" as a way to categorize the note contents in various different ways. I think a better solution than tags here, would be to allow users to define properties for notes, ie. "gluten? true/false", "cuisine: french/italian/chinese", "meal: breakfast/lunch/dinner", allow users to restrict options (ie. set it as a dropdown field vs making it free text), and make these properties searchable / filterable / browsable. This would solve for a major pain point today with tags, which is that it's really easy to get multiple tags based on variants of a single string, e.g. "Mon", "Monday", and where it's not possible to group tags well (beyond that single layer of hierarchy).

Interesting concept: attributed tags. I kinda like that (and I think that other users will, too, if for no other reason than just having another mechanism for organizing their Everdata). Of course you can simulate already that using segmented tag names (e.g.: "meal-french", "meal-italian", "meal-chinese"), but the value restrictions would be useful. "gluten:true/false" is already handled via tag: and -tag:, but still). Sooooo, I guess that means you'll need to update the search language; when you get around to that, I and several thousand of my fellow forum-goers might have a few suggestions for other improvements... :) 

Truly, though, being able to cross-categorize notes via tags as they exist today is something that I find very useful, so much so that I don't feel any pressing need for notebook hierarchies. I don't even structure my tags all that assiduously (it's kinda hopeless anyhow since tags can mean different things in different contexts; there's no single hierarchy that can hold them).

This is stuff that's pretty far out though. There's a bunch to work through to get to a model of organization that's flexible, yet simple to use. A lot of what I shared above is likely to change as we think deeper about the problem and get feedback (so please don't yell at me if the above doesn't quite sound right to you, I'd love to listen to suggestions actually).

Hey, this is good stuff, and it's nice to have you sharing it even if it's early in the design / implementation process. I know how this works. I'm not sure that there is an actual right or wrong here; maybe better vs worse is closer. In any case, I (and I'm sure others) appreciate the feedback, and look forward to seeing how it rolls out.

On 2/20/2018 at 8:19 PM, Leo Gong said:

Will renew my premium once Spaces is part of Evernote Premium.... I do not want Business or have multiple user scenarios!!

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Leo Gong said:

Actually I was referring to allowing more layers of hierarchy in the future, ie. notebooks inside of notebooks with the additional ability to have notes / notebooks live in multiple containers. :) 

OK, got it. I sort of have this view that a note or notebook might be relevant to more than one space and it's good to know that that will be part of it. My need for structuring notebooks in a hierarchy is really pretty low, and I'd probably not use Spaces to do that, except maybe to replace the small number of stacks that I use.

On 4/10/2018 at 7:30 PM, jefito said:

I'm assuming that 'notebooks being nested in multiple layers' really means that a notebook can reside in multiple Spaces, since there's no such thing as 'layers' in Evernote, unless that's a generic term for 'things that can include notebooks'

Actually I was referring to allowing more layers of hierarchy in the future, ie. notebooks inside of notebooks with the additional ability to have notes / notebooks live in multiple containers. :) 

Of course you can simulate already that using segmented tag names (e.g.: "meal-french", "meal-italian", "meal-chinese"), but the value restrictions would be useful. "gluten:true/false" is already handled via tag: and -tag:, but still).

Actually it's great you bring this up. We've definitely seen our advanced users take advantage of segmented tag names (just like how they use that for grouping notebooks too). It's exactly examples of this that we look at, and try to figure out - how do we make this kind of "tip & trick" something more intuitive for the common user? Having note properties or something like that was one of the potential solutions that shook out as a result. I think there's a lot that can be learned from advanced users that have really figured out "workarounds / hacks / implementations" to get the most of out Evernote, and then productizing these ideas.

Hey, this is good stuff, and it's nice to have you sharing it even if it's early in the design / implementation process. I know how this works. I'm not sure that there is an actual right or wrong here; maybe better vs worse is closer. In any case, I (and I'm sure others) appreciate the feedback, and look forward to seeing how it rolls out.

Thanks for the good responses everyone! Getting some early validation on this idea is really helpful - we'll be reaching out more with surveys / betas etc once we're further along.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, Leo Gong said:

I think a better solution than tags here, would be to allow users to define properties for notes, ie. "gluten? true/false", "cuisine: french/italian/chinese", "meal: breakfast/lunch/dinner", allow users to restrict options (ie. set it as a dropdown field vs making it free text), and make these properties searchable / filterable / browsable. This would solve for a major pain point today with tags, which is that it's really easy to get multiple tags based on variants of a single string, e.g. "Mon", "Monday", and where it's not possible to group tags well (beyond that single layer of hierarchy).

Hmmm, if we think there is confusion today with folks trying to structure their data....  When do I use the drop down, when do I use a tag.  Now did I put that tag in the properties drop down or the tag field, or both?  Hey, I need more than one property drop down per note!  ;)  In the recipe example anyway.

OTOH, the idea of a set of user defined properties is stellar, different axis than notebooks or tags.  Might address the age old archive conundrum, or work/home notes, provided the search engine is in lock step, that is a property drop down selector in search just like Any/All.   

BTW, Ctrl+Alt+T does a pretty good job of preventing tag dups, if one uses it.  

15 hours ago, Leo Gong said:

one of the other use cases I've encountered with tags through talking to users, is that people use them as a way to add structured data to notes. ie. they'll mark a recipe note with "gluten", "french", "breakfast" as a way to categorize the note contents in various different ways. I think a better solution than tags here, would be to allow users to define properties for notes, ie. "gluten? true/false", "cuisine: french/italian/chinese", "meal: breakfast/lunch/dinner", allow users to restrict options (ie. set it as a dropdown field vs making it free text), and make these properties searchable / filterable / browsable. This would solve for a major pain point today with tags, which is that it's really easy to get multiple tags based on variants of a single string, e.g. "Mon", "Monday", and where it's not possible to group tags well (beyond that single layer of hierarchy).

Love it! 

This would open a lot of possibilities and a great way of organizing and accessing notes. 

14 hours ago, jefito said:

Agreed 100%. Feels great to have this kind of content, response from Evernote employee. Keep it coming, definitely appreciated.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Comebo3 said:

how to delete my comment?

You'll see selections at the bottom of your post.5ace1addb25ad_ScreenShot2018-04-11at07_24_40.png.91bb00476e4677ce2168a5f526e0d31c.png

Options will give you a delete selection.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Leo Gong said:

I think a better solution than tags here, would be to allow users to define properties for notes, ie. "gluten? true/false", "cuisine: french/italian/chinese", "meal: breakfast/lunch/dinner", allow users to restrict options (ie. set it as a dropdown field vs making it free text)

I like this structured tag concept and implemented the relationship on my Mac using scripting.  
Thanks for the syntax idea; it's an improvement over my simple hard coding.

@N. Lum : Single license businesses is something we've talked about internally. At the end of the day it comes down to the what the definition of the purpose of "Evernote Business" is. Is it a tier for teams, or a tier for anyone that's using Evernote for work? There are folks working on an answer here :) . In the meantime I'd hold out for Spaces in personal and sign up for alpha / beta research on that topic when we ask for feedback.

@jeffsf / @DTLow / @jefito

Nesting / nb hierarchy is something I've written about before: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/96180-nesting-multiple-notebooks-creating-sub-notebooks/?page=11#comment-496455 (tldr; we need it, it's in the plans to be added).

On the topic of tags: allowing notebooks and notes to live in multiple spaces is definitely where we're headed towards in the medium term. Once that's possible, this would solve for a significant amount of the "Tags" use case (ie. I want to be able to organize my content in multiple different ways), especially if you imagine a world where notebooks can be nested in multiple layers.

Would that make tags obsolete? Certainly not... one of the other use cases I've encountered with tags through talking to users, is that people use them as a way to add structured data to notes. ie. they'll mark a recipe note with "gluten", "french", "breakfast" as a way to categorize the note contents in various different ways. I think a better solution than tags here, would be to allow users to define properties for notes, ie. "gluten? true/false", "cuisine: french/italian/chinese", "meal: breakfast/lunch/dinner", allow users to restrict options (ie. set it as a dropdown field vs making it free text), and make these properties searchable / filterable / browsable. This would solve for a major pain point today with tags, which is that it's really easy to get multiple tags based on variants of a single string, e.g. "Mon", "Monday", and where it's not possible to group tags well (beyond that single layer of hierarchy).

This is stuff that's pretty far out though. There's a bunch to work through to get to a model of organization that's flexible, yet simple to use. A lot of what I shared above is likely to change as we think deeper about the problem and get feedback (so please don't yell at me if the above doesn't quite sound right to you, I'd love to listen to suggestions actually).

On 4/7/2018 at 9:24 PM, Ron McCord said:

I have been thinking about leaving Evernote and using my free One Note which I am already paying for with office 365....

I trialed business, and it hijacked my email account so when I deactivated it I cant even access my premium account now.

I noticed there is no call support to help me and I have been sending endless tickets to help...

Microsoft has 24 hour call support for any issues...

Evernote should add spaces... I would consider staying with Evernote Premium with spaces and if someone will fix my account so I can access it, I just paid my renewal of 67.00 and to be honest with the current tech support of Evernote being chat email only and no spaces really does not stack up well against free ONE NOTE!!

Not trying to poke a dragon here, but I'm wondering if you are on Windows or Mac. The difference between OneNote and Evernote is a constant topic of conversation in our house and we have those who use both platforms who are on different sides of the fight on this.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Ron McCord said:

I have been thinking about leaving Evernote and using my free One Note which I am already paying for with office 365....

I trialed business, and it hijacked my email account so when I deactivated it I cant even access my premium account now.

I noticed there is no call support to help me and I have been sending endless tickets to help...

Evernote should add spaces... I would consider staying with Evernote Premium with spaces and if someone will fix my account so I can access it, I just paid my renewal of 67.00 and to be honest with the current tech support of Evernote being chat email only and no spaces really does not stack up well against free ONE NOTE!!

If you are premium file a ticket to get your email sorted.

On 2/20/2018 at 8:19 PM, Leo Gong said:

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, jefito said:

I got the idea that the future of spaces is a way to collect notes and notebooks into a container for purposes of organization and sharing. There was a hint that notebooks should be able to reside in multiple Spaces at a time (and I would hope that the same holds true for notes), but in the short term that doesn't seem to be the case. Again, I am not a business user, so I can't really follow how it works in the implementation, and I'm just going to have to wait for Spaces to be rolled out into the personal account arena.

Ditto.  Just opining the locigal vs physical structure.  Probably recovering from too may glasses of amber liquid the night before.  ;)

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, CalS said:

If Spaces are about collaboration and dropping whatever into any and many given Spaces, then logically it sounds like tags on steroids to me (many to many relationship versus a tree structure).  Maybe the only way to present it physically is with an hierarchical display layer.

I got the idea that the future of spaces is a way to collect notes and notebooks into a container for purposes of organization and sharing. There was a hint that notebooks should be able to reside in multiple Spaces at a time (and I would hope that the same holds true for notes), but in the short term that doesn't seem to be the case. Again, I am not a business user, so I can't really follow how it works in the implementation, and I'm just going to have to wait for Spaces to be rolled out into the personal account arena.

Archived