Evernote for Mac 6.14 Beta 3

Jason Creadore

Idea

Hello Everyone,

We are releasing version 6.14 Beta 3. The release mainly focuses on features for an upcoming release (more info here ) and also addresses various bug fixes. 

You can download it here, or check for updates to get the latest. 

Thanks,

Jason and the rest of the Mac team

-----------------

Release Notes for 6.14 Beta 3 

Bug Fixes

• Fixed an intermittent issue resulting in a crash when switching from business to personal multiple times
  • Fixed an intermittent issue with the app crashing when a premium user upgraded to business account and reloaded and switched accounts
  • Fixed an issue with link permissions when sharing is subsequently disabled
  • Fixed an issue with a share icon not appearing until a sync
  • Fixed an issue with inconsistent share counts across clients and entry points 
  • Fixed an issue with the check box in "Subscribe to Reminders" dialog falling behind other UI elements when expanding note list pane
  • Fixed an issue with users seeing Stacks in the move dialog

57 replies to this idea

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

fwiw  I switched to a minimal sidebar (icons); lists are only displayed when clicked/longclicked
Recent Notes are still there, but at the bottom and easily ignored

It seems a much better solution than having lists (shortcut/notebook/tag) displayed all the time

Hm ... That means that to access a shortcut 2 clicks are needed instead of one. Every time. Not so handy in my workflow.

Currently running Evernote 6.14 Beta 3. Having trouble with notes redrawing in notebooks. Some notes show the rest are white space. If I change to another notebook and back to the original it redraws correctly and I can see all my notes.

• Level 5*
On 08/02/2018 at 9:11 PM, DTLow said:

If you say so.  You can customize the top toolbar and add the New Note icon5a7cbcacbf2a3_ScreenShot2018-02-08at13_08_50.png.46af4c11254a35a4fb61e3ff78fbd7ad.png

No such option for the sidebar
I'm seeing this more as Evernote's common UI project.  It matches the other platforms

As I said earlier - I'm aware of the toolbar option, what I can't understand is using up screen real estate and breaking what looks like their own UI rules with a button that is out of scale, doesn't have an outline and is a completely different colour to the rest of the interface.

If you can find me another app on your mac that has a button like that in the sidebar and I'll eat some humble pie.

Matching platforms in itself is an awful idea - there are different UI standards for different platforms for lots of good reasons.

Hi, 

On 7.2.2018 at 7:27 PM, karenjs said:

The new beta feature of a note-as-shortcut opening in a new window -- instead of populating the open tab -- can we disable that? It's absolutely not a workflow that works for me. I didn't see a preference for it though. If there is one, please let me know. Thank you! 

Agree. This does not work at all and you will get a lot of noise. Before the shortcut meny worked like convenient "bookmarks" in my large notebooks, where I could then navigate to neighbour notes, but suddenly I have to scroll though hundreds of notes manually. This is a mistake. Please revert to previous way. Sorry. You allready use double-click for opening notes in a separate window. You could use that instead. But single click should work like before.

After working with this version for a few days, I'm going to have to say it again - opening shortcuts or recent notes in a new window is a horrible change. I've never opened notes like this before, so why am I being forced to do it now? 

Please change this back to how it was before...as fast as possible.

:angry:

On 2/7/2018 at 9:53 AM, Joe F said:

In this release 6.14 beta 3 when control-clicking on a note the contextual menu is now back .  A huge timesaver. Thanks for taking care of that!

love timesavers - not sure I understand what you are saying and what the "control-clicking" steps are and what desired result is happening / expected.  any chance of screen shot?  

On 2/7/2018 at 10:52 AM, MashedPotatoes said:

I don't like the shortcut/recent notes opening in a new window. I'd rather just edit them in the main window, as before.

Agreed, but in the meantime, a workaround could be when you "right click" on note, gives option to "open note in new tab" or "open note in the (dreaded) new window"

On 2/7/2018 at 10:27 AM, karenjs said:

The new beta feature of a note-as-shortcut opening in a new window -- instead of populating the open tab -- can we disable that? It's absolutely not a workflow that works for me. I didn't see a preference for it though. If there is one, please let me know. Thank you! 

It's excruciating and literally renders my shortcuts unusable, forcing me to now search manually for every note for which I had created a shortcut.

Please, please issue a quick update that fixes this. This is a show-stopper.

9 hours ago, MashedPotatoes said:

After working with this version for a few days, I'm going to have to say it again - opening shortcuts or recent notes in a new window is a horrible change. I've never opened notes like this before, so why am I being forced to do it now? 

Another vote for this. Pretty much kills shortcuts. At least make it an option to open them in a new window. 

As others have mentioned: it should be possible to disable "Recent Notes" from the sidebar. It is in the way, takes too much space, and is not nearly as useful as shortcuts. I realise that others might think differently, hence my suggestion to have the possibility to disable it. So make it two different sections (that can be disabled or enabled) instead of combining them into one.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, JeanVis said:

disable "Recent Notes" from the sidebar. It is in the way, takes too much space,

fwiw  I switched to a minimal sidebar (icons); lists are only displayed when clicked/longclicked
Recent Notes are still there, but at the bottom and easily ignored5a82816ee96f2_ScreenShot2018-02-12at22_05_56.png.f7a3915f133627d9a8ff3dd6921708dc.png

It seems a much better solution than having lists (shortcut/notebook/tag) displayed all the time

• Ex Employees
3 hours ago, Magnus Møller Petersen said:

I'm getting this message when trying to move a note from any notebook to another. And neither the notebook I'm moving from or the notebook I'm moving to is shared.

screenshot.png

Thanks for reporting this, our developers are investigating. Is "Inbox" currently your default notebook? Was it ever previously shared, even if it is currently not shared?

On 2/12/2018 at 9:42 AM, MashedPotatoes said:

1000% This.

Who in their right mind thought "Geez, you know what people in 2018 love, pop ups! If only we could add more annoyances to Evernote!"

Seriously, how out of touch can a development team get? Worst of all, this was listed as a feature. Seriously... popups are a "feature"... that's just beyond the pale. You need to give us a way to disable this "feature" because now my favorites menu is literally useless, unless of course I want Evernote to eat up my entire desktop.

Generally, anything that takes focus away from the window the user has clicked on is frustrating and poor design, but forcing new windows is amazingly, almost impressively, dumb.

---

Edit: Apologies for the tone but this is beyond frustrating...

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

Sounds like the battle is lost then. I didn't think Windows users cared what things looked like (.......runs......I'm joking.........runs.......)

Who knows.  IMO things have worked their way to a better place from the stupefying flatness changes of a few years ago.  Maybe the green icon can move the inch or so as well.  Windows tendency to be a perennial optimist I suppose.  :P

Hi Karenjs,

Thanks for the feedback and the broader community input. We are rolling back to the prior interaction, to be released at the end of next week, and are reevaluating how we can make the note interaction better for the future.

-Jason

On 2/7/2018 at 10:27 AM, karenjs said:

17 hours ago, Jason Creadore said:

Hi Karenjs,

Thanks for the feedback and the broader community input. We are rolling back to the prior interaction, to be released at the end of next week, and are reevaluating how we can make the note interaction better for the future.

-Jason

Here is some input: Make it up to the user if they want to access Recent Notes. They are in the way. As far as I have been able to research Mac and iOS are the only platforms where there is a recent notes "feature" that cannot be removed or ignored (it is especially bad on iOS). I fail to see the point in forcing these recent notes upon the user in either platform. What is the reasoning? If you are insisting this is the way the UX has to be, at least help me understand why.

• Ex Employees
6 hours ago, DontDuckWithMe said:

I don't know if this has been addressed before, but there is an annoying graphics glitch when using Mission Control (see gif below).

EvernoteGlitch.gif.f7c86051ce1d0cccf130db4c55f0c977.gif

macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 - 2016 MBP 15" - Version 6.14 Beta 3 (456163 Direct)

Thanks for reporting this. Does the initial issue continue to happen after the original experience you captured? Were you doing anything specific in the application leading up to using Mission Control when you encountered this?

19 minutes ago, Jay-Bob said:

Thanks for reporting this. Does the initial issue continue to happen after the original experience you captured? Were you doing anything specific in the application leading up to using Mission Control when you encountered this?

Actually I have been experiencing this issue since the first beta. But I have just found that if I turn on "Reduce transparency" in accessibility settings the issue somehow disappears (and reappears when I turn it off again).

EvernoteGlitch2.gif.343ae98b4a6f6d97708dd0751c5836b7.gif

On 2/10/2018 at 4:44 PM, RUEHTREE said:

Currently running Evernote 6.14 Beta 3. Having trouble with notes redrawing in notebooks. Some notes show the rest are white space. If I change to another notebook and back to the original it redraws correctly and I can see all my notes.

Yes. This is yet another showstopper. When I scroll my list of notes either up or down, I, too, see nothing but white space after the first 20 or 30 notes. This happens with 100% reproducibility.

Although clicking on another notebook, then back to the original notebook does redraw notes, it also returns you to the top of the list. So, the only way to view notes past the first 20 or 30 is to scroll until I see the white space, then click on the last, visible note before the white space. Then, upon doing so, another 20 or 30 notes will appear. Of course, in notebooks that have many dozens (or hundreds) of notes, this is excruciating and untenable.

I fully understand that these are beta builds, but are they not tested for basic functionality before release? I'd understand new features being unstable, but why release builds in which fundamental features are broken?

In the first attached screenshot, I left two notes at the top for clarity. But in actual practice, all notes disappear, leaving only white space (2nd screenshot). And again, this happens 100% of the time. I cannot scroll notes without this occurring.

Evernote - white space.png

Evernote - white space 2.png

On 2/15/2018 at 11:09 AM, DontDuckWithMe said:

I don't know if this has been addressed before, but there is an annoying graphics glitch when using Mission Control (see gif below).

EvernoteGlitch.gif.f7c86051ce1d0cccf130db4c55f0c977.gif

macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 - 2016 MBP 15" - Version 6.14 Beta 3 (456163 Direct)

I mentioned this above, and yeah, it always occurs when Evernote is in the background.

On 2/12/2018 at 2:23 PM, jbj312 said:

Agreed, but in the meantime, a workaround could be when you "right click" on note, gives option to "open note in new tab" or "open note in the (dreaded) new window"

Also, agree. I am removing shortcuts to notes because opening in a new window is distracting. The object of a shortcut is to do things quickly and that is not the case here. 

On 2/13/2018 at 5:54 PM, Jason Creadore said:

Hi Karenjs,

-Jason

Thanks for responding to our feedback, Jason. 

I am not sure if this happened with Evernote 6.14 beta 3 or is a recent bug. When I click on any hyperlink in a note it opens into a blank page within my browser -- no address displayed. I can copy the link within the note and paste it into the browser so the link is definitely active. 

I just updated to 7.0.1 and the issue has not been resolved. 

I'm a little hesitant to try the Evernote 7 upgrade given 6.14 BETA 3 had so many issues that interrupted my flow (like opening Recent Notes in a New Window).

Can we get a fact check from Evernote about if they are going to have 6.14 release that fixes the Recent Notes issue? Or does anyone know if that was fixed in 7.01 and worth trying? (I'm not individual user, so the business part of the release holds no interest for me.)

• Level 5*

Sometimes intitle searches don't work. Sometimes they do. I don't know why. Here is a succession of two screenshots. I enter the search parameters, and everything looks fine, but when I press enter, a semi-colon appears. I am using バージョン 7.0.1 (456247 Direct). 

5a94f2c7bb8c3_2018-02-2714_50_36.png.95cc2721cc7290bd8dc65096f4e82614.png

5a94f2d4e75e3_2018-02-2714_50_44.png.741d755fa4db5c228bc4b3b380c91d18.png

PS

Your pixels are showing! I'd recommend cleaning up that alarm icon.

On 2/26/2018 at 11:28 AM, DTLow said:

Edited: No changes in v7 for the Recent Notes List

Looks like they did fix the issue introduced in 6.14 BETA 3 that was causing "Recent Notes" links to open in a new window instead of within the current Evernote window. I upgraded from 6.14 BETA 3 to 7.0.2 and it's back to normal thankfully.

When switching to the app from Mission Control, the notes list appear as part of another application.

Steps to reproduce:

1. open Evernote app
  2. open Mission Control (F3)
  3. select another app
  4. open Mission Control again
    You will see corrupted Note's list in Evernote app.

list.png

I do apologize. My bad. For last 8 years on Evernote I was using nested tags. But just recently I simplified and removed hierarchy and make it flat. And because I'm not using Evernote that heavily as I used to - It completely slipped my mind :-D  

it is all Okay

Pavel

16 hours ago, Jason Creadore said:

Bug Fixes

• Fixed an intermittent issue resulting in a crash when switching from business to personal multiple times
  • Fixed an intermittent issue with the app crashing when a premium user upgraded to business account and reloaded and switched accounts
  • Fixed an issue with link permissions when sharing is subsequently disabled
  • Fixed an issue with a share icon not appearing until a sync
  • Fixed an issue with inconsistent share counts across clients and entry points 
  • Fixed an issue with the check box in "Subscribe to Reminders" dialog falling behind other UI elements when expanding note list pane
  • Fixed an issue with users seeing Stacks in the move dialog

These release notes appear uncomplete -- the beta 3 also includes updates to the sidebar, in which the shortcuts, notebooks and tags are now directly collapsable (with a disclosure triangle). There's no need to go to the right-click menu anymore. A definite improvement to my eyes :-)

5a7ad9cff1b0b_ScreenShot2018-02-07at11_47_28.png.a11302700f997539d9fe84a3e4e0716c.png

15 hours ago, macfixer said:

The stack icons in the sidebar look different — thinner. Are they new, or am I imagining things?

It's not you, they are different.  Also, why am I unable to REMOVE/HIDE/MOVE the Recent Notes section?  I never use it & it's kind of in the way where it's located now...  Also, when you click on a recent Note it opens it in another window vs the reading pane.   Totally inconsistent from the way every other note is viewed..,

2 hours ago, IndyScan said:

How do we disable the warning that pops up when we move a note into a shared folder?  This appears to be a new "feature" that was introduced with the latest beta too...

Please! This is driving me nuts and adding so much extra steps to my workflow. I am also getting a desktop notification simply when I move a note from one notebook to the next, even when neither notebook is shared.

On 2/6/2018 at 11:52 PM, Nick Skitev said:

When switching to the app from Mission Control, the notes list appear as part of another application.

Steps to reproduce:

1. open Evernote app
  2. open Mission Control (F3)
  3. select another app
  4. open Mission Control again
    You will see corrupted Note's list in Evernote app.

list.png

Does not happen to me here. What version of macOS are you running?

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, CalS said:

Well, it just "appeared" in Windows beta as well, to much the same response.  Sounds more like matching a conscious UI change than matching other platforms.  Other than if the big green button is the how come for why of all this, then why not just put it where the old blue (in Windows) button was, in the toolbar of all places.  ;)

Sounds like the battle is lost then. I didn't think Windows users cared what things looked like (.......runs......I'm joking.........runs.......)

40 minutes ago, macfixer said:

When moving a note to a different folder, the results are sometimes duplicated. Not 100% of the time, and not all notebooks.

Screenshot_2_8_18__9_52_AM.png.3d6076c4040cfa804652aa2ff155f87d.png

I was getting this with previous versions too.  I rebuilt my index yesterday & it fixed the duplicate results.  Also fixed search issues I was having (notes not showing up that contained keywords in the search).

Option-Help
Troubleshooting
Recreate Full Text Search Index

A few problems with this beta.

• I'm also seeing visual corruption in the Note List when entering Mission Control, when Evernote's window doesn't have focus.
  • Now that both my account and a New Note button have to appear in the sidebar, I have to scroll to see the rest of my stuff. It'd be good to have the option to disable those, especially since I only have one account, and would rather keep the New Note button in the window's title bar. (It'd also be nice and consistent with the way you can show and hide other items from the sidebar.)
  • This is a bit esoteric, but bear with me: For a long time, I've had a workflow where I'll open a bunch of notes in various windows and then use the "Merge All Windows" command from the Window menu to form a tabbed window of notes. However, as of this beta, notes which are opened in a new window by double-clicking the Note List, and notes which are opened by command-clicking a note link can't exist in the same window. I'm uploading a YouTube video to demonstrate what I mean.

Also, some other problems that relate more to how note content is viewed on iOS.

• I have my default note font set to something other than the default on macOS, but iOS doesn't respect this setting. However, in bulleted lists that I've typed on the Mac, sometimes that font will appear on iOS — but inconsistently. I'd much rather iOS just respect the default that I set on the Mac.
  • Level 5*
  • I'm also seeing visual corruption in the Note List when entering Mission Control, when Evernote's window doesn't have focus.

I'm seeing this too.

I've no idea what the New Note button is doing in the sidebar. Users expect buttons to be at the top of the window. Can't think of another Mac app with a sidebar that puts a button there.

It's OK to admit you were wrong and put it back...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Metrodon said:

Users expect buttons to be at the top of the window.

If you say so.  You can customize the top toolbar and add the New Note icon5a7cbcacbf2a3_ScreenShot2018-02-08at13_08_50.png.46af4c11254a35a4fb61e3ff78fbd7ad.png

No such option for the sidebar
I'm seeing this more as Evernote's common UI project.  It matches the other platforms

• Level 5*

Yeah, I'm aware of that. But the big green button takes up screen space and is I believe in the wrong place. It's also the brightest UI element in the whole app, it's completely out of place.

I'm yet to see a reasonable justification for it being there - if the best answer is that it's there on other platforms...well that's more than a little pathetic.

15 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

I'm yet to see a reasonable justification for it being there - if the best answer is that it's there on other platforms...well that's more than a little pathetic.

I agree. It seems Evernote is fixated on making the Mac app mirror the iOS app UI. Since the iOS app has a green button, the Mac application MUST have a green button too. It's the same reason the grid view was removed. The iOS application didn't have grid view, so might as well remove it from the Mac app as well. I just hope the green button can be hidden in the sidebar, although so far that doesn't look to be the case. 

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

Yeah, I'm aware of that. But the big green button takes up screen space and is I believe in the wrong place. It's also the brightest UI element in the whole app, it's completely out of place.

Well, it just "appeared" in Windows beta as well, to much the same response.  Sounds more like matching a conscious UI change than matching other platforms.  Other than if the big green button is the how come for why of all this, then why not just put it where the old blue (in Windows) button was, in the toolbar of all places.  ;)

22 hours ago, IndyScan said:

I was getting this with previous versions too.  I rebuilt my index yesterday & it fixed the duplicate results.  Also fixed search issues I was having (notes not showing up that contained keywords in the search).

Option-Help
Troubleshooting
Recreate Full Text Search Index

I'll give that a try, thanks!

Archived