Writing math symbols and equations

Angeliki

Idea

I totally agree with the request. I work as an electrical engineer and I use OneNote so far which has formula editor integrated. Having discovered many nice features of Evernote, the lack of this feature is actually the only reason why I haven't already switched to Evernote. I definitely need this for my daily work.

My preferred solution would be to enter formulas with a latex syntax.

All workarounds with entering the formula somewhere else and posting an image in Evernote or handwriting the formula are really too cumbersome and cannot convince me to finally switch to Evernote.

• Like 4
On 03/02/2018 at 7:33 PM, Angeliki said:

As a student of Business Economics, it is necessary many times to write on my notes mathematical symbols and equations; it is not available now, however, wouldn't it be a great feature?

It would be a great feature!

As a mechanical engineer student and Evernote lover, it is currently the main topic I miss on Evernote! I really like the Evernote for Windows version, but I really miss the possibility to  add math symbols and equations... I hope we can see this feature in a near future on Evernote..

*ps: I'm from Brazil and my English is a working in progress... jajaja

• Like 2

I want to support the request. It is strongly needed Evernote to support the math visualization. For instance, I need to store web pages (wiki is an example) with math. Now I have to convert them into pdf. It is very unpleasant, annoying and awkward. I have not found any external add-ins to work with math in Evernote. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Deak said:

Another +1 for this. 

I use Evernote for both my MBA and data science in my day job. It would be very helpful to have an insert math equation option perhaps a window or inline editing.

You're welcome to indicate your support using the vote button at the too left corner of the discussion

In the meantime, use an editor that supports equations   
The document can be stored in Evernote as a note attachment

• Like 2

I am in full support of being able to write equations in Evernote. As an MBA student who needs functionality like this, unfortunately it just doesn't make sense for me to continue with Evernote absent of the feature. 

• Like 1

Hi,

I would really like to see this feature added to Evernote! For now, I use Microsoft Word to type all my mathmatical equations (insert -> Equation) and simply copy them to Evernote. It's time consuming, but it works. 

• Like 1

Used OneNote so far for my scientific notes (I am biologist) - the missing formulas is a huge disadvantage. Would love to see this too! As well as superscripted and subscripted text. Thats even possible in this forum - why isn't it implemented in Evernote?!

On 8/13/2019 at 8:31 AM, J1618 said:

Please make this a thing. Latex support is not that hard to implement

While I 100% agree that LaTeX would be a great feature, as a developer (not for evernote) I cringe every time I see "not that hard to implement". People seem to have the false impression that software engineers can just wave a magic wand and "make it happen".

For now there are many services, both online and offline, that will convert formulas to images, which you can insert into your document.

I have stuck around waiting for this to happen for as long if not longer than this request for Evernote to provide markdown/latex support.

Having support for formulae is not a nice-to-have for me, but a necessity. 

Sadly it seems that my only course of action is to migrate my work to OneNote.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Robin_ said:

It doesn't seem to be an important feature for the Evernote team though, which is just sad.

One factor in priority is user interest.  To indicate your support for this request, use the vote button in the top left corner of the discussion.  There are currently 2055769845_ScreenShot2019-07-18at07_58_27.png.d5c95107f9c50b0276197b2cf0ba30a7.png votes

>>My best solution for mathy content is to use a LaTeX document and sync it via cloud

Yes to using a LaTex supported document.
Add it to a note as a file attachment

I am also supporting the demand of adding this feature.

It's very important, i thought it did not mater to me, but it does.

Please evernote, don't let competitors get ahead for silly reasons, note taking business is already tough.

On 2/1/2021 at 5:11 PM, PinkElephant said:

There are many requests to bump up the editor. The question is always how much complexity does it add for everybody, just to satisfy the needs of a small percentage of users. My estimate is that maybe 5% of all users would make use of such a feature. Remember we are talking in other threads about EN being slow, need to speed up, uses too much CPU power etc.

In general, if you need formatting options, use a program that is specialized to do so.

You know, I think it’s humorous you come in with a rando stat on a board of mechanical engineers, scientists and university students in STEM against the motion they desire.  Humorous enough for me to comment on it.  I’m pretty sure, most of the folks above took statistics.  And I’m pretty sure your rando stat would be met with quite a bit of skepticism.  Where is this 5% coming from?  Did you just pull that out of thin air?  You could be right, but you could also be very wrong.  Without survey data, or polling done by Evernote on its users, it’s difficult to arrive at any good indicator what the actual percentage of use would be.  Just throwing that out there.  I don’t mean to speak for everybody but I wouldn’t be surprised if your rando stat falls pretty hard on deaf ears in this post. Lol

To comment on the post though, I use Penultimate rather extensively for my maths.  I very much like its integration features in Evernote.  I would like the ability to put in equations into Evernote directly, so that I could better join the notes I take on the keyboard vs the notes I take on my tablet.  I think I’ll look into these alternatives in the meantime.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Evernote has a sketch feature which allows for handwriting and drawing symbols

You could also look at using an external editor that supports the LaTeX or MathML.
The document can be stored in Evernote as a note attachment

Copying equations across from utilities like laTexit is a pain as it gives not ability to edit the source markdown later on.  Have embedded support of equations using LaTex would very useful for making lab notes. Lots of people need to make equations in their notes, seems like it would be an awesome feature.

On 5/9/2018 at 5:58 PM, AlejandroL said:

I agree with the request, I also use Evernote and will be very useful to include latex based equation support in the software itself (I currently include a lot of docs with code).

I'd really like latex support for Evernote, since apart from that I enjoy using it. Currently, I use it for organizing my notes at work and I use a lot of math, so this would greatly help me. It doesn't seem to be an important feature for the Evernote team though, which is just sad. My current workaround is LaTeXIt, which has - as already mentioned above - several drawbacks.

My best solution for mathy content is to use a LaTeX document and sync it via cloud, which is certainly not a perfect solution. But better than Evernote for my purposes.

• Level 5*
On 7/18/2019 at 4:45 AM, Robin_ said:

My best solution for mathy content is to use a LaTeX document ...

I agree with using a document editor that supports LaTeX.  I use Apple Pages, and store the documents as note attachments

2 hours ago, J1618 said:

Please make this a thing. Latex support is not that hard to implement

If Evernote had a $ for every post that said "not that hard to implement", ...

Another +1 for this. 

I use Evernote for both my MBA and data science in my day job. It would be very helpful to have an insert math equation option perhaps a window or inline editing.

I think this very important and would love to see it too but no latex equations Microsoft's implementation on Word is great. Its more intuitive and faster to use in its Unicode form than in its latex form. We need this

This is an awesome idea and that's why I'm posting.

I'd like to collect formulas and coding examples in multiple languages

and this would be the idea platform. I've tried the 'paste jpeg/png' but it's

just not the same.

I've look looked at the latex syntax and I suppose it's OK but something

like the Grapher app on the Mac would be fantastic.

Notion has it.. please get inspired by their solution! 
I'd really love to see something like this also in Evernote. 
image.png.0e530e86b01ee8231331e24608518ec5.png

image.png.ae633d6d0cfd35468a713b871ea8491e.png

I think that many many many students/academics/PhDs/workers would really appreciate it. 

image.png

• Like 2
  • Level 5

There are many requests to bump up the editor. The question is always how much complexity does it add for everybody, just to satisfy the needs of a small percentage of users. My estimate is that maybe 5% of all users would make use of such a feature. Remember we are talking in other threads about EN being slow, need to speed up, uses too much CPU power etc.

In general, if you need formatting options, use a program that is specialized to do so.

• Level 5

You can use the sketch feature of EN to write plain everything, so formulas can be written any time inside of EN. Problem solved, when using the right device.

You can keep elaborated formula writing on your personal wish list. Maybe the devs run out of other ideas one day and pick it up.

Until then it is sketch, or any app suited to support the special annotations needed. EN is based on HTML, and that does not support it.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You can use the sketch feature of EN to write plain everything, so formulas can be written any time inside of EN. Problem solved, when using the right device.

You can keep elaborated formula writing on your personal wish list. Maybe the devs run out of other ideas one day and pick it up.

Until then it is sketch, or any app suited to support the special annotations needed. EN is based on HTML, and that does not support it.

Quick answer!  I read something about that and I haven’t tried it.  I do much like the idea of writing it in on the tablet directly into Evernote vs. trying to use latex to write it.  Some of the notes I take are directly on the computer though vs using the tablet.  I use my tablet for annotating directly on the pdf’s and then go back to using the computer for the note-taking.  I guess it’s all in the workflow, process, what seems to work better.  Personally, I’m going to keep up trying to get the best workflow with mathematics in mind.

• Level 5

Fair enough.

When you look at the internet most pages with equations use either pictures showing the formula, pdf documents that probably were created with a special editor or try to allow some editing in a special window. But these editors are usually pretty bad.

If you just need it neatly, you could try Microsoft Math. It has a function to scan handwritten formulas and convert them to typed text. They even do some solving and graphs using the input.

Here is an example:

D7398D92-AE61-42CC-B534-1A3FADEF76BB.thumb.jpeg.db0b8fa0b078928b8b3d7849f603aefb.jpeg

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, JoeyK said:

converting .enex files to .tex files

The problem is I don't know LaTeX syntax, and I don't want to learn it

My need is to convert a hand drawn formula into something presentable inserted into my document   
I use the Notability app on my iPad and it generates formula images from my sketched formulas

• Level 5

This GitHub project (taken from its own description) will not miraculously create neat formulas where none have been.

In fact it only takes the content and appearance of EN notes (since it converts an ENEX file, it can be anything between a single note and a full notebook) and converts it to a file in LaTex format. It will conserve headers, bullet points, embedded code blocks and even highlighted text as such.

There is no mentioning that it will create formulas. Sure, when in LaTex formulas can be written, but completely outside of EN and using a special description language that could be used without all that conversion before. Just open a LaTex-enabled editor and type away !

As pointed out above, a resulting file could be attached to an EN note.

Sorry to tell this. But notion provides this feature. The blocks that are required in order for evernote to sustain in say a year or two are basically addition of pages inside pages, latex, code with selectable syntax, vertical split option. The earlier the importance of addition is realized, the better changes that people won't switch. Knowledge is a web and can't run in a line or get split into one hierarchy as pages. It at least requires a tree structure. If not for the security aspect of notion not providing end to end encryption, we shouldn't be surprised at all to see users switch. So just one step away.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can compare Notion and EN. It is easy to see they serve different use cases for different users. If your use case is better solved in Notion, move ahead.

It makes no sense to believe that by copying features a software would gain. It is quite obvious in which direction EN is evolving, and it is not by bloating the editor they have just streamlined a year ago.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, spacepanda said:

Hello, any updates on the request?

There's no indication of interest by Evernote for markdown or latex support

• Level 5

Supporting formulas in the EN editor would IMHO be a classical example to take a software and bloat it beyond recognition. The platform for a note is HTML code - although it is possible to code (nearly) everything in HTML, complex formatting is probably something HTML was not build for.

Solution 1: Write a formula using Sketch, this is graphical instead of typed. Works for note taking in a scientific environment.

Solution 2: Attach a file from an editor that supports formulas.

Solution 3: Use an app that converts handwritten formulas into typed ones, attach the result.

18 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Supporting formulas in the EN editor would IMHO be a classical example to take a software and bloat it beyond recognition. The platform for a note is HTML code - although it is possible to code (nearly) everything in HTML, complex formatting is probably something HTML was not build for.

Solution 1: Write a formula using Sketch, this is graphical instead of typed. Works for note taking in a scientific environment.

Solution 2: Attach a file from an editor that supports formulas.

Solution 3: Use an app that converts handwritten formulas into typed ones, attach the result.

Supporting formulas in HTML is exactly what libraries like https://www.mathjax.org/#demo already provide quite well! No need to reinvent anything here.

On 6/22/2021 at 4:55 AM, PinkElephant said:

You can compare Notion and EN. It is easy to see they serve different use cases for different users. If your use case is better solved in Notion, move ahead.

It makes no sense to believe that by copying features a software would gain. It is quite obvious in which direction EN is evolving, and it is not by bloating the editor they have just streamlined a year ago.

Just did it. Moved to Notion. Thought you should know. Thank you.

For many people this is not just a feature that would make note taking more convenient, but it is one that determines whether they can use Evernote or not. 
Therefore, most people that would need this feature won‘t have an account because they can‘t use the software. Thus, they won‘t be able to vote.

Hope this feature comes soon. 

• Level 5

This is a circular argument: Since feature X is not available, a number of users will not show up. Since this number of users doesn’t show up, EN thinks they don’t need to develop the feature. Because they don’t release that feature, the users stay away . And so on.

The reason is most likely much easier, and was already posted above: To write mathematical formulars, you need a very complex descriptive language. Something like LaTeX - plain HTML is not enough to code a complex formula for Editing and display.

EN is based on HTML. To add formulas means to add a whole new editing and object description language.

The alternative is very simple: Get a program that can create the formulas, edit them, safe, insert the attachment into an EN note. This works today, without waiting or expecting others to do a major (!) change to an existing app used by millions of users. 

• Like 1
On 02.12.2021 at 22:56, PinkElephant said:

This is a circular argument: Since feature X is not available, a number of users will not show up. Since this number of users doesn’t show up, EN thinks they don’t need to develop the feature. Because they don’t release that feature, the users stay away . And so on.

The reason is most likely much easier, and was already posted above: To write mathematical formulars, you need a very complex descriptive language. Something like LaTeX - plain HTML is not enough to code a complex formula for Editing and display.

EN is based on HTML. To add formulas means to add a whole new editing and object description language.

The alternative is very simple: Get a program that can create the formulas, edit them, safe, insert the attachment into an EN note. This works today, without waiting or expecting others to do a major (!) change to an existing app used by millions of users. 

Thanks a lot for the explanation. I have never had problems with algebra, but sometimes difficulties arise with solving problems in geometry. I always ask for additional help from my classmates or teachers. I also found a great resource https://plainmath.net/secondary/geometry/high-school-geometry where I found step-by-step solutions to a huge number of geometry assignments. This helped me improve my skills.

• Like 1

Not sure if someone has already said this or not, but in the Emoji Symbol section on a MAC, you can add the mathematical characters by clicking on the index card icon in the upper right corner and search for mathematical symbols there.   This worked for me anyway.  I hope that helps.

403443777_ScreenShot2021-12-15at6_50_38AM.thumb.png.b9d00dce699bc5de9c1548d48385ee5a.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 6.46.49 AM.png

• Like 1

I’ll say this.

Different users require different product functionality.

I for one am going to look for another application to fulfil my requirements.

I, like numerous others require such functionality.

Evernote has superscript and subscript functionality.

All that is required is a symbology list for symbols to be copied and pasted into the exisiting platform.

I can’t see why having equation writing functionality is still an issue several years after such high demand from users.

• Level 5

If you read through the thread, it is easy to see why this idea was never implemented. Super / Subscripting is clearly not enough.

A full formula editor is practically always an add-on, except for applications that were natively developed to support such formulas.

If you need it today, get another editor able to write formulas, and embed the documents. For a choice use the search engine of your trust. There are free, commercial and online solutions available, for all OS platforms.

I'm late to this party (and have read all posts), but in solidarity I just want to say that I also would love to see evernote add this functionality.  I understand the coding issues they would have to overcome.  I'm not going to cease using the program because of this - the other functionalities are too good - but it would be helpful and compliment their already existing features nicely.

Adding plug-ins to Evernote would enable this feature request and so many more!

Sequence of use:

• A user could be editing a note
  • Swich to the plug-in math editor
  • edit the equation in either a visual editor, or a text-only code input
  • switch to evernote default HTML to view the equation

Meh, just keep the markdown in Evernote, render it elsewhere, paste back an image.  Only a small time-waster.

Wouldn't it be nice if a program could do this for you?  Like, well, Evernote.  Nah, far too complicated.

Like Pink Elephant - first understand the limitations of Evernote, then defend them to the bitter end. 

Simples.

• Level 5

They would probably need a little extension or library, solving the equation editing.

But if you watch closely, EN rarely employs something like it. Either they dislike the dependencies it creates, or the expense, or both.

If you look at this thread, there is not much resonance for the proposal. It used to be more, but taking the last 2 years not much was posted or voted in favor.

• Level 5

I wouldn’t say „lately“ - AFAIK there never has been an integrated formula editor.

There is no need to add each and any function that is easily covered by using specialized apps. The output can be embedded into a note, done. 

For taking a quick note of a formula a full editor is of little help either. Open a Sketch canvas and jot it down, done again.

I can assure you that markdown is a minimal, lightweight syntax for entering formulas.

But you are only saying what I originally posted: 

Meh, just keep the markdown in Evernote, render it elsewhere, paste back an image.  Only a small time-waster.

Wouldn't it be nice if a program could do this for you?  Like, well, Evernote.  Nah, far too complicated.

Of course there's a little irony here ;)

• Level 5

That's a basic question: Be the O365 of note platforms, or keep it cross platform and simple ?

The new editor launched in 2020 was a move to put simple cross platform use over complex solutions, only working in certain environments.

Markdown is not supported (apart from a number of keyboard shortcuts), there is a thread about that if you want to add your vote.

• Like 1

Can I write down my notes in Evernote?  Apparently not if I have math.  Not just one weird symbol you can punt off to unicode input, but even the math you'd get in middle school is unrepresentable in Evernote.  It's built into the browser (MathML), but Evernote instead needs to spend 5 releases trying to make linking between notes work...

A good syntax (say TeX) isn't hard to parse -- you can find parsers online easily -- they're small enough to be a class project in a CS curriculum.  Rendering can be pretty basic, this isn't for publication.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, ballyhoo said:

As mentioned earlier, the strategy of this "contributor" is familiar:

You should probably start thinking before you write: All I tell is where from experience System limits exist.

Requests beyond system limits are unlikely to be implemented. Any user looking for a solution in these areas should better search for an alternative.

Strategically much better than wishful thinking.

• Level 5

Think of a note as of a website, using pretty pragmatic (= simple) HTML to describe the formatting.

Anything else is placed inside of a container - that is what you find behind the blue + button. These are containers EN knows how to handle directly.

The 3rd level are attached files.

To describe complex formulas, the simple HTML created by the editor won’t do. This editor was redesigned for v10, and it doesn’t allow for complex LaTeX-Style descriptions. Adding such complexity would likely destroy the simple & platform neutral approach.

This leaves to install a new container for formulas, which I think is generally possible. It won’t allow to seamlessly embed a formula into the surrounding text, however.

Probably EN would need to buy such a container as a 3rd party tool, creating a long term dependency. 

The 3rd option already exists: Use another app, attach the file.

Thats in short my evaluation of the system restrictions and the consequences. I look at it from the outside, no particular knowledge involved.

Ah, so you're inferring from their xml format?  MathML fits in a DOM tree perfectly well, and keeping source tex as an attribute (to present to the user and re-parse into MathML after edits) on the top level node of the MathML isn't challenging.

Their file format's their own business, and outside of a hierarchical node structure, doesn't speak too much about in-memory representation. 

Math is everywhere and a note taking app should support it.  It's painfully behind other systems (obsidian, notion, roam, etc) here.

• Evernote Expert
14 hours ago, Lally Singh said:

Math is everywhere and a note taking app should support it.  It's painfully behind other systems (obsidian, notion, roam, etc) here.

I could argue with passion that this isn't what Evernote needs just now. There are many functions that I would argue were far more important and urgent than mathematical formulae.

Hopefully Math stuff is noted and has its appropriate place in the order of enhancements. I hope it is lower in the list than my needs and, no doubt, you hope it is higher.

Thankfully it isn't a fatal matter whichever view we take. If I needed the feature you describe I'd attach a file from an external application or use one of the applications you name. 

• Level 5

@Lally Singh You write lots of clever words, but you argue beside the point.

The question is not if math expressions could somehow be integrated into a HTML coded document. Sure they could. But it would utterly destroy the editor to try to squeeze this ability into it. 

You mention apps that have the ability to write down math formulas. Fine, just go ahead and use them. Nobody needs the next bloated piece of "can do it all" software. It is perfectly OK that there are different apps with that ability, and it is perfectly OK to use whatever fits you use case.

My opinion (which can be argued, why not) is that it would take EN into a wrong direction to drill down deeper into fields like that. I prefer simplicity, and if I need a specialized tool (for me mindmaps are a closer call than math), i use it.

Clever words 🤦‍♂️ 

OK boomer

You don't use math symbols every day to communicate ideas, got it.

Some people do.  STEM.  Tech.  You know... because science.

But we get one thing - you have no power at Evernote and so this discussion is indeed futile.  Got it.

• Level 5

Being young is nothing you earned. Being old neither.

But that’s probably beyond your personal horizon.

I think you should better focus on a solution that fits your need today, instead of futile discussions. The way you discuss is just an intellectual version of blaming others (all those who didn’t follow your genius) for not reaching your own goal. Could it be it is yourself not getting there ?

Condescending empty rhetoric is useless.  You don't want it, congratulations.  Others do, like myself.  But you're the one jumping into conversations here to discourage user feedback on what Evernote needs to survive that you don't agree with.  You're not helping EN.

Technical folks spend large amounts on tooling.  They are some of the highest-margin potential for EN.  But ***** that.  You're afraid of a feature that might make a giant app complicated by somehow accepting some the oldest and most fundamental language humanity has.

You must had a heart attack when they added Unicode support!

I await your condescending "I'm above it all and know it all and know what's best" response.  Or a backtrack of "I was simply saying....".

• Thanks 1

I also would love to have the ability to write formulae in Evernote, the website supports LaTex so it would be great if this could be implemented into the app(s). I write a lot of notes with formula in and currently use Microsoft word and then snipping tool in. Which is not ideal but is my current work around.

As a side note if you disagree with this request maybe just don't respond to this thread as it is not aimed at you. It is aimed at the Evernote devs.

\newcommand*{\qf}{$x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}$
3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The EN website doesn't support LaTex - it is the browser itself that supports it, by installing an extension.

The clients are based on frameworks, that are themselves based on browser engines - but they don't support extensions.

Ok, so it would be great if the app(s) supported it like my browser and my browser's extension does.

• Level 5

When you read the Electron site you have linked, I t does come with a lot of restrictions, and the site clearly states that a general extension integration is NOT in the scope of the Electron developers. What does this mean ?

It means that EN would have to license such an addition to the app, building an external routine into the own app environment. This not for an background task, but for a very visible addition to the UI, that does or does not integrate well with the apps own UI and functional design. 

This is exactly something EN in the past has avoided, and I think will continue to avoid. First it creates a dependency to an external dev, second it makes the app feel more like a hodgepodge than a thoroughly designed product, and third it means spending on license and integration for a feature that probably only a small percentage of users does need.

It’s never good to pick the cherries from a cake, but I wouldn’t appreciate „my“ subscription money wasted on such an extension. If I make a list of extension ideas, this would on my personal list rank way down. But I think it is more general - I don’t see EN start to expand the app through (visibly) integrated, not consolidated extensions. The app would quickly loose the condensed, down to the basics look & feel that makes using it such a positive experience.

No you just download the source to one you like (say Tex All The Things) and call the parser from the existing EN javascript code.   Or just directly use and package mathjax.  It's all packaged together at build time.  I don't know where you get your assumptions, but you're obviously out of your technical depth. 

• Level 5

You want it, you will „prove“ you are correct by all arguments you can grasp and you will not be convinced. Fair enough, there is a chance you are right.

You can come back here in 5 years and see the answer. I doubt it will happen at all, and if it will probably show in the blue + menu (which means nothing neatly integrated into the note text flow, just another container dropped into the text somewhere).

Personally I would use a different and working solution NOW - but maybe that’s to simple an approach.