Blurry fonts in some text elements

I rather assumed this was yet another scaling issue introduced with a recent Windows update - but the usual approaches around compatibility settings don't seem to make any difference. The screenshot refers - this was captured from a 1920x1080 monitor, set to 100% scaling, one of two which I use. I also have a third 2560x1440 monitor, also set to 100%, which has the same issue, although it doesn't look quite so bad, because smaller! The blue font used in the note title, and the fonts in the note-previews are all fragmented and blurry - the note text is OK. This would make more sense to me as an issue if the monitors were set to scale the display - but they're not, all run at 100% (I have pretty good eyesight!)

image.png.4de99215b599d8e2bf26ef80f2e9b63e.png

I've had these monitors for years - two at 1920x1080 and one at 2560x1440, all set to 100% scaling. It never used to do this, Evernote was pin sharp on all of them - something has changed, either in Windows, or in Evernote.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Same problem.  I've also been using the same two monitors for a few years, along with Evernote.  It's only recently that this has become a problem.

Your product is no longer compatible with common monitors? 

Is the only solution to not use your product?

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem since the latest update (with only one monitor, at 100% scale set to recommended resolution)

For a mostly text-based app this is completely unacceptable and no other app I use has a similar problem.

Please fix this!

I'm running:

Evernote 6.9.7.6770 (306770) Public (CE Build ce-1.39.4387)
Windows 10 Home, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.248

thanks,

leo

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have this problem as well - just noticed it happening within the past week or so.  Definitely did not happen before, because it's quite noticeable (and fugly)!

I wonder if it has to do with clicking ANNOTATE PDF.  I THINK it started after I clicked that (had never clicked it before).  Maybe that will help someone troubleshoot this annoying problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a fix, my problem was as per Dconnect suggested.  I recently updated my graphics drivers and followed tips from gaming forums to improve performance etc, I believe I have inadvertently changed DPI settings somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find where. I have a lot of additional font types installed and  I run 4 monitors from 1080p to 4k, so scalings can issue for me. 

How ever all is not lost, I have found how to correct DPI issues that I created in Evernote in Windows 10 with Multi Monitors (Windows 10 version 1809).  

1. Locate Evernote's installation directory, mine was in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\" 

2. Locate & right click on evernote.exe, select the 'Compatibility' and press 'Change high DPI settings' - see attached picture

3. Under 'Program DPI' tick the check box 'Use this setting to fix scaling problems for this program instead of one in settings'  - see attached picture

(*Note I haven't played with advance scaling settings yet so there may be a better way)

4. Under 'Use DPI that's set for my main display when', select 'I open this program' in the drop down list. - see attached picture

5. Restart Evernote - (*Note ensure Evernote is not running in the SystemTray)

This corrected the issue for me, it may not work for everyone but I hope it points people in the right direction so you can tweak it for your setup. 

Regards

Anthony.

Evernote Compatibility Tab.png

Evernote DPI Settings.png

Edited by Anthony Statera
I forgot the final step in my explaination.
  • Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...

I tried the tip from Anthony Statera - thanks. This did not work for me. I tried a clip before rebooting and after both the same. The really strange thing is that the first part of the clipping is reasonable, as I scroll down the clipping the text is fuzzy.  I have 3 monitors, 1 4k and 2 1920 X 1080. Been running the 3 monitors for a couple of years at least. No problems until recently. My work around, although not ideal, us to use my Samsung TAB S2 running Android 7. The EN clipper is still producing clear text.

• 6 months later...
Em 22/01/2019 at 23:52, Anthony Statera disse:

Found a fix, my problem was as per Dconnect suggested.  I recently updated my graphics drivers and followed tips from gaming forums to improve performance etc, I believe I have inadvertently changed DPI settings somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find where. I have a lot of additional font types installed and  I run 4 monitors from 1080p to 4k, so scalings can issue for me. 

How ever all is not lost, I have found how to correct DPI issues that I created in Evernote in Windows 10 with Multi Monitors (Windows 10 version 1809).  

1. Locate Evernote's installation directory, mine was in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\" 

2. Locate & right click on evernote.exe, select the 'Compatibility' and press 'Change high DPI settings' - see attached picture

3. Under 'Program DPI' tick the check box 'Use this setting to fix scaling problems for this program instead of one in settings'  - see attached picture

(*Note I haven't played with advance scaling settings yet so there may be a better way)

4. Under 'Use DPI that's set for my main display when', select 'I open this program' in the drop down list. - see attached picture

5. Restart Evernote - (*Note ensure Evernote is not running in the SystemTray)

This corrected the issue for me, it may not work for everyone but I hope it points people in the right direction so you can tweak it for your setup. 

Regards

Anthony.

Evernote Compatibility Tab.png

Evernote DPI Settings.png

Nice one, Anthony!!

• 3 months later...

Still relevant in Jan 2020. Thanks for the solution in this thread and sorry evernote, as much as I love the programm, shame on you.

edit: And yes, I just registered in this forum to post here, because it is so unbeleavable that this problem exists.

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I'm active on 3 different software support forums. All of them report problems with blurry text elements on Windows high DPI setups. Now that you're here, please read through the thread. Unless Evernote has created a problem that it is exporting to other, unrelated software, they're not entirely to blame.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

GUYS!! Here is how I solved my problem. I followed the instruction above and it did not help me. I have a 4k monitor and a 1440p. Instead of using your current evernote that you downloaded long time ago. go through the microsoft app store and download the APP. it's actually a never version that has no problem scaling with window 10 system. XD 

Now my ONENOTE is still a piece of BEEEP, i gotta get this figure out. 

• 2 years later...

Has anyone found a fix for this? I am running 1440p at 125% font scaling and Evernote V10 has the text rendering errors as shown above. I tried the compatibility setting fix mentioned above and it didn't help. Is the developer team aware of this bug?

• Level 5
On 1/18/2024 at 11:58 PM, Lowebowski said:

Has anyone found a fix for this? I am running 1440p at 125% font scaling and Evernote V10 has the text rendering errors as shown above. I tried the compatibility setting fix mentioned above and it didn't help. Is the developer team aware of this bug?

This is a 6-year-old thread, with the last previous post 3 years ago. Evernote has changed a lot since then. You'd be better off starting a new thread IMHO.

• Level 5
On 1/19/2024 at 5:58 AM, Lowebowski said:

You should check where you are. This thread is about the legacy client, and its settings options.

Either you still run the legacy client, and then it is unsupported software, that will probably soon stop syncing with its server. Nobody will fix anything on this client.

Or you use the current clients version (10.xx), and then it's the wrong place to post any issues. Instead of dumping a post into a tread about a different software, go and create a new one int the appropriate subforum.