When is the .exb file updated?

I tried the following:
1.changed my .exb file's properties to "read only"
2. opened my desktop application and added new records
3. made some changes in existing notes.
Although the .exb file was set to "read only" I've got no error message.
Only when I tried to sync, it failed.
So my question is: When is the .exb file updated?
I thought it's being updated immediately after changes are made, but now I realize I was wrong.
If the .exb file is being updated only during sync, where are all the changes I've made kept until I sync?
btw, I have no local folders at all...
Thank you,

Oded.

• Level 5*

Pretty amusing @dconnet, but maybe a little more explanation? 

@oded : I'd guess that Evernote "writes" changes to the database via SQlite as needed, but the SQlite it keeps some of the database cached in memory for speed / efficiency reasons, so it may not actually write them immediately to the database file until it decides it needs to. You could figure that out by using a utility like  Microsoft's Process Monitor utility.

I'd have to look into how we set up sqlite options. And frankly, that's not something I want to disclose... because if it changes, someone will say "but you said!"

Let's just say I'm fairly sure that it will write as needed (caching) - but syncing requires it to write so that's when the failure occurs.

2 minutes ago, dconnet said:

I'd have to look into how we set up sqlite options. And frankly, that's not something I want to disclose... because if it changes, someone will say "but you said!"

Let's just say I'm fairly sure that it will write as needed (caching) - but syncing requires it to write so that's when the failure occurs.

That makes sense...
I guess my question is fully answered now :D
Thanks again.

Archived