Jump to content

Evernote won't open on my Mac


Recommended Posts

Recently did some software updates on my Mac, and Evernote no longer opens up.  I have the latest versions of everything.  I uninstalled and reinstalled Evernote.  Any ideas how to fix this?  The few forum topics I saw the problems just resolved itself.  

Link to post
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, DC Seward said:

Recently did some software updates on my Mac, and Evernote no longer opens up.  I have the latest versions of everything.  I uninstalled and reinstalled Evernote.  Any ideas how to fix this?  The few forum topics I saw the problems just resolved itself.  

My solution to a corrupted installation is

  1. Reboot my device; it sometimes solves problems
  2. Remove the Evernote app, database, other components
    The app AppCleaner is recommented for this
  3. Reinstall Evernote; login; the database will be rebuilt from the servers
    Warning: the rebuild doesn't include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes
Link to post
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, DC Seward said:

The problem is that I have already done those steps and it still won't work.  What is step 4, etc.?  

Just to confirm, you removed the Evernote database before reinstalling the app

Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2018 at 6:20 AM, DC Seward said:

Hmmm...all my data for the past 5 years is now gone.  The database rebuilt itself, but it is woefully out of date.  This is a complete disaster!!!!!!

That is not encouraging.... even with the apparent recovery mentioned. How would one save a backup of the local data?

Link to post
  • Level 5*
24 minutes ago, StevenFeil said:

How would one save a backup of the local data?

Evernote automatically backs up data sync'd to the servers

If a user opts for  unsync'd data (Local Notebooks) they are responsible for their own backups.

Backups are typically exports in .enex format; they can be used as import to load the notes.  Since notebook information is  not included, a separate export is executed for each notebook

Link to post
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If you run Time Machine on your Mac (as you should, out of many reasons), it will backup your local EN data automatically.

Just by using Evernote with sync'd notebooks, our data is uploaded and stored on servers, with various backups in action.

We can completely trash our computer installation, and know our Evernote data is easily retrievable.

Evernote handles the backup and restore

Link to post
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Just by using Evernote with sync'd notebooks, our data is uploaded and stored on servers, with various backups in action.

We can completely trash our computer installation, and know our Evernote data is easily retrievable.

... if you do not have local notebooks, this is true. If you read through the thread, not everybody seems to be aware of that. Depending of your setup, you may not need the local backup, or you may have to fall back to it. Very bad, if you do not know about it before you pull the plug, and make a complete reinstall.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...