Please add deeper folder levels

wih

Idea

Can you add the ability to nest the folders, or stacks, deeper? It would allow the user a lot more control/organization if we could have many more levels available. Secondly, I'd like to be able to use multiple layers in an outline. I can use the checkbox, but I want to be able to start with an idea, then indent to maybe two or three checkboxes, each with their own child notes, etc. This would make your product a LOT more valuable. I use an iPhone, iPad, Mac and PC with my premium account, but continually search elsewhere for these functions. Please consider this. Thanks

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, wih said:

Can you add the ability to nest the folders, or stacks, deeper? It would allow the user a lot more control/organization if we could have many more levels available.

Evernote has a Notebook feature; the notebooks can be organized into Stacks

The primary organization method is Tags.  On the Mac/Window platforms, the tags can be organized into an unlimited hierarchy

>>I'd like to be able to use multiple layers in an outline.

Outlines are not a feature in the Evernote Note Editor
You can get extended word processing features like outlines by switching to a dedicated word processing app like MS Word.  The document can be attached to an Evernote note

• Level 5*

Note: there are no 'folders' in Evernote. There are notebooks (which contain only notes, but not notebooks or stacks), stacks (which contain only notebooks, but not stacks or notes), and notes (which just contain content, including links to other notes , but not other notes, notebooks or stacks). Oh, and tags, which can be applied to multiple notes, and notes can have multiple tags.

So, this has been hotly requested for years, and is one of the most popular feature requests in this forum. Evernote's stance on this, when they express anything at all about it, traditionally  been along the lines of:

• Consider using tags, which we consider to be a better and more flexible way to organize your notes. You can kinda sorta impart a hierarchical structure to your notes using tags, and some people do.
  • Hey, we added stacks, which can help to organize notebooks, particularly since we've upped the limit to 250 total notebooks per account. They don't nest any further than Stack / Notebook, however (i.e. stacks cannot contain other stacks, and notebooks cannot contain other notebooks).

Anyways, the main topic (which is ca. 2008) for this is here: 

The issue has been well explored, and the old Evernote CTO, @engberg, contributed early on. You should do some reading there, and add your vote. For some people this is a deal breaker, for others, a nuisance but tolerable, and for yet others, tags really are a better way to organize your notes.

Also, it's better if you make separate posts for separate requests.

Archived