Evernote for iOS 8.8 Released (UPDATE: 8.8.1 HOTFIX)

annah

Idea

• Ex Employees

Hey all, we released Evernote for iOS version 8.8 to the App Store last night.

Update: We released 8.8.1 to the App Store to address the issue with not being able to edit existing sketches.

8.8.1 Release Notes:

• Hotfix for issue where existing sketches/handwritten notes could not be edited in 8.8.

8.8 Release Notes: 

• Advanced auto-formatting options (including code block and tables!). Go to Account > Settings > Notes
  • Misc bug fixes and performance improvements:
  • Fixes for top crash and sync issues
  • Fixed an issue where lines made with Apple Pencil appear jagged
  • Fixed an issue with quoted searches not returning exact results
  • Fixed an issue with the note list briefly showing before PIN lock activates
  • Fixed an issue where PDF thumbnails would appear greyed out in the note list on iOS 10 devices

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

• Like 3

43 replies to this idea

It occured to me that we can't re-edit hand drawn sketches anymore since the last patch. Once you tap on "Finished" you're out and your sketch is saved as a picture, being unalterable afterwards.

I hope this is not intended, is it?

• Ex Employees

Hey folks, thanks for the feedback - we're aware of the issue with sketches and are working on a fix ASAP. Definitely not an intended change.

@notemas If your app is crashing on launch, please open a support ticket so we can get you back up and running. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Edulife said:

It occured to me that we can't re-edit hand drawn sketches anymore since the last patch. Once you tap on "Finished" you're out and your sketch is saved as a picture, being unalterable afterwards.

same here! what a nightmare! sketches are shown as images and cannot re-sketched!!

On 19/01/2018 at 10:33 PM, stocky2605 said:

same here! what a nightmare! sketches are shown as images and cannot re-sketched!!

I cannot agree more, it’s a nightmare. I use an iPad Pro in meetings and trainings and I usually take several notes with several sketches in each note, adding a new sketch whenever I either fill it all or need a section break. That being said, I will have the need to go back to previous sections to amend my notes, and Incannot do this anymore. 

I’m Writing this on the 4th day of a 7 days training session, and I’m stuck with pictures of my notes of the three previous days that I cannot work on in a meaningful way (annotations are the the same thing). I will have to revert to pen and paper until this is fixed. 

That was to me the killer feature of the Evernote/iPad Pro/pencil combo, please bring it back!  (btw, thanks for the jagged lines fix)

I'm a bit annoyed with the new handwriting strokes - several things have changed and I hope to have the original strokes back:

1. Need to apply much more pressure for each stroke to achieve the same thickness. For instance now I need to use 03 (or hopefully 04 - but it does not exist) at the same pressure I've always applied on a 02 to get my desired thickness.

2. The strokes are now tapering at the ends too much - this leads to letters which do not have thick/round ends and does not appear aesthetically-pleasing. I preferred the previous style which gave the impression that I was using a pigment marker pen.

Hopefully the original pen strokes setting can please be reinstated?

3. The highlight stroke does not respond to pressure (only Apple pencil tilt) and is at the moment too thin even at the 10 setting.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Stuhrer said:

Code block doesn't work for me. I entered ``` on an empty line before and/or after some text but it is not convertred into a code block. Am I doing something wrong?

have you enabled the feature in the settings section of Evernote?

On 19.1.2018 at 6:24 PM, annah said:

Hey all, we released Evernote for iOS version 8.8 to the App Store last night. You can download it here.

Release Notes: 

• Advanced auto-formatting options (including code block and tables!). Go to Account > Settings > Notes
  • Fixed an issue where PDF thumbnails would appear greyed out in the note list on iOS 10 devices

It crashes on my iPhone 7: I can open it, wait 5 seconds - crash. Please fix asap and let me know. Thanks

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Stuhrer said:

Code block doesn't work for me. I entered ``` on an empty line before and/or after some text but it is not convertred into a code block. Am I doing something wrong?

Code block works for  me.  5DDC1163-C0B6-4DFA-BE38-8D57F4358C33.jpeg.f4a08e8759ba72a3d19f3776573442e2.jpeg

I type three backticks and the code block area appears for typing

2 hours ago, CalS said:

Is it just me or are the note titles in the note list view bolder and/or darker in this release?

Yes, actually the note list titles are bolder and smaller text. And as a result, you can see more of the title in the note list view. I like it! The previous version had titles in the note list that were virtually the same as that of the title in the note view.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, DGW said:

Yes, actually the note list titles are bolder and smaller text. And as a result, you can see more of the title in the note list view. I like it! The previous version had titles in the note list that were virtually the same as that of the title in the note view.

Thanks for the confirmation.  Me like too!!!  :)

Just now, DTLow said:

Its a good idea to be careful with upgrades
- review the release discussion to identify bugs or feature changes that you can't work around

Is there a particular reason you prefer version 7.7.1?

... Maybe not being able to edit prior sketches. I hope they'll fix that soon.

21 hours ago, DTLow said:

Its a good idea to be cautious with upgrades
- review the release discussion to identify bugs or feature changes that you can't work around

Are there specific reasons you prefer version 7.7.1, or just images.jpeg.8f29a6af8d98c510585102e3220f325d.jpeg

My birthday is 08/08. I love the number 8 and 88. I had hoped that 8.8 would be the day, I'd update. But alas. I hate 8.8 as I have hated any  8.* release before it.

On 19/01/2018 at 10:49 PM, Edulife said:

Please, please fix this! Without this feature, significant part of the flexibility of note taking is lost!

On 21/01/2018 at 5:50 PM, Alcoyotl said:

I cannot agree more, it’s a nightmare. I use an iPad Pro in meetings and trainings and I usually take several notes with several sketches in each note, adding a new sketch whenever I either fill it all or need a section break. That being said, I will have the need to go back to previous sections to amend my notes, and Incannot do this anymore. 

I’m Writing this on the 4th day of a 7 days training session, and I’m stuck with pictures of my notes of the three previous days that I cannot work on in a meaningful way (annotations are the the same thing). I will have to revert to pen and paper until this is fixed. 

That was to me the killer feature of the Evernote/iPad Pro/pencil combo, please bring it back!  (btw, thanks for the jagged lines fix)

It still works on iPhone... I am switching over to iPhone to update sketches now... :(

On 22/01/2018 at 11:52 PM, annah said:

Hey folks, thanks for the feedback - we're aware of the issue with sketches and are working on a fix ASAP. Definitely not an intended change.

@notemas If your app is crashing on launch, please open a support ticket so we can get you back up and running. Thanks!

@annah is there an ETA on that?

Totally agree. I depend on taking handwritten notes on my iPad pro with an apple pencil as we've been able to do it for almost two years. It's really frustrating the way it works now. Hate the idea of having to go to a different note taking app. It was so smooth to take notes, draw a table in my notes from the meeting, easily add in a snap shot from a presentation slide, etc. It's a real clunky mess right now. Looking forward to the fix and glad to see it's recognized as a problem.

James

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, stocky2605 said:

btw: it would be nice to see thumbnails of sketches in the notes list (as it is with images in a note)

There  is an option for images

D82EFB22-2D52-4723-ABC9-A5B1206DCD85.thumb.jpeg.45bdef89e2fed70afabf389e93ab5bac.jpeg

Hi, I just started experiencing the sketch issue today. After I click "Done" on a new sketch, I can't edit it anymore. It just opens as an image. I'm using evernote version 8.8.1 on an ipad pro 9.7.

Edit: I just got the new update, which fixed the issue. 

2 minutes ago, stocky2605 said:

interesting - doesn‘t work for me. I see previews only for images - not sketches. Strange.

have you tested this with the latest version? sure? The recent sketches issue „converted“ sketches to images - as you know - therefore a preview for those „sketches“ were shown. Now, after fixing the sketches problem, I can‘t see those previews anymore, because they‘re sketches now (and not images as before the fix)

I was very excited about the addition of code block formatting, but it's pretty inconvenient to use on my iPhone as there's no button to create a block. Using three backticks to create a block is easy enough on a device with a full keyboard, but on the iPhone each backtick is a three-step process to 1) tap the key switcher in the bottom left, 2) tap and hold on the apostrophe for half a second, 3) slide along the alternate character picker to the backtick on the far left. As a result it takes 2-4 seconds and 9 actions to create a code block, which is just too much time and work for me to even bother with. I've been dying for this feature for years, so this was a real disappointment. Would it be that difficult to add a button to the right of the highlighter? I understand trying to keep the UI as simple as possible on iOS, but why even bother adding code block support for iOS if it's so inconvenient to use?

An essential function in Evernote for me is the ability to modify a note’s tags without changing the note's 'Updated' date. I can do this in Evernote for Mac, but adding or removing tags in Evernote for iOS changes the date. In short, it would be fantastic if tagging notes in Evernote for iOS retained date metadata like it does on the Mac. Thank you for your consideration.

6 hours ago, stocky2605 said:

interesting - doesn‘t work for me. I see previews only for images - not sketches. Strange.

I see your problem now.

The sketches thumbnail do show up in the iPhone and Mac desktop versions.

They do not show up on iPad.

It's really cool, the quick fix on this, but the pressure sensitive response of the pencil is still not there. Example, you could get a wider highlight stroke with more pressure. Now the highlight stroke (even choosing the thickest option) is a set width and doesn't change with pressure. Same with normal 'pen strokes'. The writing is universally thin no matter the pressure applied, doesn't actually respond as well with the pencil, and can be pretty hard to read. Looks strangely artificial, like writing or sketches on old Palm devices.

When actually sketching, this lack of pressure sensitivity is really noticeable. there's no thickness to the start of a line or thinness as a line trails off.

Please bring back pressure sensitivity to the Apple Pencil!

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Macsarcule said:

the pressure sensitive response of the pencil is still not there.

I'm not expecting much from the sketching tool, but I do see "pressure sensitive response"

E443367D-81D4-4C50-BFB3-C5EF206E4E23.thumb.jpeg.8f9e30b31d832b214486541b2261548a.jpeg

I use a dedicated drawing app (Procreate) for extended features

Pressure sensitive response returned this morning! I chose a different line thickness and there it was! I went back to my original line thickness, and it was pressure sensitive again as well! Not sure why, but maybe i just needed to do that to make things kick in. Glad to have it back, either way!

Hi everyone,

I saw lots of comments about sketches, but was wondering if anyone has had this issue with taking pictures with your iPhone? With this new update, the steps to add a photo/scan have almost doubled. I am a consultant and travel a lot for work and use this feature to help me manage my receipts, but now it's more work than it used to be and the camera/scanning is more touchy than it used to be. 

Just as an example, when I create a new note, click the camera button and take a photo of my receipt, I now need to save it, exit the note, then click on the note, click on the title, delete the generic title and then type my title, and the app doesn't automatically capitalize the title. Before the update, I could change the title in the note. It was so much easier to use. This may not be a huge issue, but I integrate Evernote with Zappier to get the receipts where they need to go automatically, so it is critical that I name each receipt.

On 1/19/2018 at 12:24 PM, annah said:

Hey all, we released Evernote for iOS version 8.8 to the App Store last night.

Update: We released 8.8.1 to the App Store to address the issue with not being able to edit existing sketches.

8.8.1 Release Notes:

• Hotfix for issue where existing sketches/handwritten notes could not be edited in 8.8.

8.8 Release Notes: 

This is still an issue. I need to be able to edit my sketches to keep track of productivity at my company. I’m having to resort to annotating the images of my hand-written notes to add anything to them, which is inconvenient and less reliable.

Dear Evernote,

I have been using Evernote since 2014 and all my sketch notes have been converted to images. Thus I can no longer edit sketches. 

Before I was able to find ways around it, but now all of my handwritten notes because I can no longer edit them.

This is unacceptable for for a platform that is suppose to manage notes!!! Especially handwriting notes.

The new annotation feature of the image is terrible and it does not allow for a reliable editing of handwriting notes.

Please fix ASAP: do not convert sketch notes to images!

Thanks.

• Level 5

The sketch tool is there to stay - no matter if you like it or not.

You can try to install the legacy client on Mac or PC:

You could use the Penultimate app on iOS devices. It is aged, but optimized for handwriting, and saves into EN.