Clip WebPage as PDF

Jwveld

Idea

I use Evernote for a lot of things. I love the clipping functionality, and use it a lot. I'm working on a Apple computer and have the following need/improvement.

Whenever I look at a webpage it is nicely formatted, the clipping I do of webpages are mostly articles from news sites / blogposts eetcetera. 
After clipping and viewing the Evernote note all the nice formatting is gone and the article is at best spread out over the page. Still readable but not nice.

What I would like is to have a PDF clipped as i see the article in my webbrowser. No blown up fonts, a clean article if it fits on one page it comes to one page etc. THe simplified look of the clipper is mostly perfect in size and looks. 

Thee are my thoughts.. please further this thinking...

Regards,

Jan 

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Jwveld said:

What I would like is to have a PDF clipped as i see the article in my webbrowser. No blown up fonts, a clean article if it fits on one page it comes to one page etc. THe simplified look of the clipper is mostly perfect in size and looks. 

I've noticed many web pages use html voodoo that doesn't display correctly in Evernote
Also trying to insert text into the note get's messy

I mostly use screen grabs.  On the Mac, we have a Helper tool that works well for this
I also print the web page to pdf

Thank you.. 

The neat function of Evernote Clipper is that it just does my wanted article without the mess around it. When printing the page to pdf I get the mess back.

And Helper Tool.. where do you refer to? Were to find that?

• Level 5*

A web search on 'web clip to pdf' turned up a number of possible solutions -- have you tried any? Once you have a PDF, then you'd save it to an Evernote import folder, you'd have it.

• Level 5

I don't know what the options are on a Mac, but in Windows when I click the Evernote Web Clipper icon in my browser, it offers (among others), Article, Simplified article, and Full page. If you have those options, do any of them work better than others? Also, does it matter what browser you use?

I'm really surprised this post hasn't gained traction since 2018. It very nicely sums up my sentiments about the clipping tool. Namely: Why is there no way to capture clipped content as it appears within a web browser before it is moved to Evernote (where it loses most formatting and looks much worse). It's frustrating to be able to "see" the content with the exact formatting I want to capture, but to have no way of grabbing it as a PDF without resorting to third-party tools.

Does anyone know of a way to save a PDF of the preview that Evernote displays in a web browser (say, for "Simplified Article") using only Evernote or the browser's capabilities?

• Level 5

Your browser can print a page. Your browser can „print“ a page „to pdf“, which means it creates a pdf with exactly that look. If the web page allows for it, you can switch the browser view to „reader mode“ before „printing“.

So why enable web clipper to do something the browser can already do ? Maybe this is why the thread did not gather a crowd.

Your browser can „print“ a page „to pdf“, which means it creates a pdf with exactly that look.

It's certainly not true that printing a native website to PDF from a browser window will generate an output with "exactly that look". Elements used in web pages frequently don't translate well in the conversion, hence my interest in using the clipper tool to pare the content down before routing it to a PDF format.

If the web page allows for it, you can switch the browser view to „reader mode“ before „printing“.

This is a great suggestion, and works well for some sites. But not all. I would much rather be able to select a level of web clipper detail (e.g., "Simplified article"), take a look at the preview as displayed by the clipper add-on within the browser window, and then generate a PDF that looks as close to that as possible, without routing anything to an Evernote notebook (or, perhaps, sending the PDF itself to a note). The content looks different once it arrives in an Evernote note from the clipper tool, and printing to PDF via the browser interface when the clipper preview is shown produces an output that often does not mirror the preview (e.g., many elements hidden by the clipper tool in the preview are included in the PDF when using this approach).

So why enable web clipper to do something the browser can already do ?

If it's possible to save a PDF that looks just like the clipper-generated preview using only the browser, I'd gladly use that approach. But printing to PDF while the preview is loaded in a browser window doesn't work in my hands. I'm pretty sure this is the same request the original poster was describing as well.