Feature Request: Location-based reminders

kikikix

Idea

The one feature missing from Evernote, it is location-based reminders. It's absence is the one thing that makes me feel let down by Evernote, which I have come to rely on as my outsourced brain. Please can you look into developing this option for Android? Thank you!

• Like 3

38 replies to this idea

While migrating notes from Google Keep to Evernote Premium I was stunned to learn that there is no geofencing capability. 

Location-based reminders is not a new concept. It allows people to be reminded to do something the next time they are at a particular place.

Some use it for shopping lists when they get to a particular store. Others remind themselves to do something when they arrive at a client or place of business.

This is a BIG GAP that needs to be closed to stay relevant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Much requested (although not recently that I recall) but not (yet) available - maybe now the guys have got rid of all that annoying new account level stuff they'll start adding some bells and whistles to the Reminder system...

• Like 1

Location-based reminders work perfectly through "IdeaPlaces", a 3rd-party Evernote app. As long as Evernote is endorsing them (in the Evernote app Center), unfortunately for some, I doubt they'll roll out a similar feature in-app. Sorry! 

However... they are only currently out on iOS.

• Like 2

Location-based reminders work perfectly through "IdeaPlaces", a 3rd-party Evernote app. As long as Evernote is endorsing them (in the Evernote app Center), unfortunately for some, I doubt they'll roll out a similar feature in-app. Sorry! 

Yes, iOS only.... I'd be very happy with a 3rd party option for now, but havent come across anything for Android... Any suggestions are welcome.

• Like 1

Yes, iOS only.... I'd be very happy with a 3rd party option for now, but havent come across anything for Android... Any suggestions are welcome.

Wherevernote.PNG?dl=1

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.visualcandy.wherevernote&hl=en

I don't own an Android device so I couldn't test the above app on the Google Play store...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Thanks!  Interesting...  downloading now... disconcerting that the first screen is 'Tap Now to Upgrade!' with a couple of links to other apps... tapping anyway..  Oh - now I get 'set up an alert' options...  which I did and then it crashed.  Not a very transparent piece of software,  and it remains to be seen if anything happens when I get near the test target I set up...

Any other options,  let us know!

Thanks!  Interesting...  downloading now... disconcerting that the first screen is 'Tap Now to Upgrade!' with a couple of links to other apps... tapping anyway..  Oh - now I get 'set up an alert' options...  which I did and then it crashed.  Not a very transparent piece of software,  and it remains to be seen if anything happens when I get near the test target I set up...

Any other options,  let us know!

I downloaded it, and entered the first notification successfully. It basically lets you select the specific note for which you want to set a location based reminder, and then comes up with something that looks like it's probably Google Maps, to allow you to select a location. Then you have to enter a couple of other parameter (e.g. within which radius of the location you would like to receive an altert, etc.).

The let-down, of course, is that for any additional notifications beyond the first one, you need to upgrade. It's not terribly expensive for a once off payment, so I decided to give it a try, and will report back.

However, while I do see myself using this for now (if it works as promised) as a workaround, it offers by no means a seamless integration, and is yet another separate step in another app, that one needs to take to try and stay organised.

The true solution will be for feature to be integrated into Evernote itself... Holding thumbs!

• Like 2

Thanks Frank for the mention.

Using IdeaPlaces you can add location based reminders to any geo-tagged Evernote note.

You can also add location based reminders directly from Evernote by tagging any note with tags like: ideaArrival100yd/ideaArrival1mile ... or ideaDeparture100yd, ideaDeparture1mile and it works in the metric system too.

We have a lot more features related to places so check it out.

n6UNdQj.jpg?1

Ciprian Rarau,

Founder of IdeaPlaces

• Like 1

Thanks Frank for the mention.

Using IdeaPlaces you can add location based reminders to any geo-tagged Evernote note.

You can also add location based reminders directly from Evernote by tagging any note with tags like: ideaArrival100yd/ideaArrival1mile ... or ideaDeparture100yd, ideaDeparture1mile and it works in the metric system too.

We have a lot more features related to places so check it out.

n6UNdQj.jpg?1

Ciprian Rarau,

Founder of IdeaPlaces

Ciprian, this looks very much like what I am looking for. However, for android, not iOs. Anything in the pipeline on your side?

I'm setting up Shopping Lists for specific stores using Check Boxes. This is really my first attempt at using Evernote for anything other than storing stuff I want to read later (and never do).

I'll come back if I get Location based reminders to work using one of these two suggestions. But for now if you are interested you'll need to try them out for yourselves.

1. Article on how to use Evernote with Google Keep. http://www.zdnet.com/article/i-finally-figured-out-how-to-use-google-keep-with-evernote/I need to reread the article but a quick glance seems to indicate that you can tie an Evernote note to Keep and then Keep will provide a location based reminder.

2. IFTTT (now just IF) - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/85323-recurring-daily-task-list-how-to-setup/From this thread I'm guessing that if you use IF with Evernote, IF might be able to kick off a reminder based on location. I have never used IF, and based on what I know about it the learning curve can be steep, so it will take me some time before I can experiment with it. 

Sorry I can't be more definitive. Right now I can print out a copy of my pre-made Shopping List, check the items I need and drive to the four stores I shop for several weeks in less time than it will take me to figure out how to make a Shopping List in Evernote and set up some sort of location based reminders. While this will be nice, I still haven't figured out how to use the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 (the ability to take a note with the screen off is what sold me) so an Evernote based Shopping List with Location Reminders is way down the To Do List.

• Like 1

This feature could happen by simply assigning through the Reminder functionality. OR, it is something that could be implemented with a tag (or even, more specifically, a tag that is started with "@")

Once of the major reasons I still use Google Keep is the ability to do location-based tagging.

It is VERY convenient to remember things based on where I am going next.

It helps when I forget to check my tagging

• Like 5

I agree, location reminders is a great feature for many apps. Obviously Apple reminders have it so does Todoist. 

I am in construction, it would be nice to set up location reminders in Evernote for the notes related to a job site and get notified while I am there. I can search by the tag of that project number however I don't want to see all the notes about it either. I can set reminders and search for that project with reminders but it would be more convenient to have your phone pop up a message if I drive by a job site or in the vicinity.

While I am at it, I would like keyboard shortcuts in Windows App for setting, clearing, changing reminders. I do everything with the keyboard when I am processing my old reminders except clicking and changing the date.

Hello I would like to ask if Evernote is considering adding location based reminders. I know there is Wherenote app for android but orienting in all the notes is quite awful. It would be a really great feature. 

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Moufile said:

Hello I would like to ask if Evernote is considering adding location based reminders. I know there is Wherenote app for android but orienting in all the notes is quite awful. It would be a really great feature. 

Hi.  See discussion above - Evernote don't (usually) comment on whether they're considering a feature,  or when it might be available.  Best to make the most of what you have and wait to see what happens...

I am shocked this feature does not already exist in Evernote. I just started using the tool as the capture for my GTD system. Now I am considering going to google keep. 

Cmon Evernote! Dont make me regret the time I have already sunk into your tool.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Dieter Janssen said:

Status update on location-based reminders?

Status; Evernote has indicated no interest in expanding the reminder feature beyond the implemented basic date base.

I started using Google Keep today because Evernote is missing this feature.  Please integrate this feature!  I like my GTD evernote system and prefer it, but geolocation reminders is just so useful! 

• Like 1

Fully agree.  There used to be a add-on app called WHEREver that integrated with Evernote, that would bring up the reminder for my Costco list or grocery list when I was entering the store area.  Tried looking for it, but it's gone now!!!!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Andr.A said:

You might want to upvote the other  copies of this request:    

The discussions have been merged and moved to the Requests forum

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
Just now, steveberl said:

I also would love to see location based reminders incorporated into Evernote. I use it on IOS and Mac.

As of today I need to use Apple Reminders to get this funtionality.

Steve

Then please use the vote counter at the top left of this page to register your support.  It currently shows zero interest...