Workflow question, Searching for note, then wanting to add new note in same notebook as a search result, difficult or just me?

I often find myself searching for a note I know exists in order to place a new note in the same notebook (which I am not quite sure of which notebook I filed it under).

I'd think that if I select a note from the search results, then I would have an easy way of then navigating to that note's notebook or adding a new note in the same notebook. For example, when I select a note from the search results then its notebook would be (possibly temporarily) added to the drop down list of "new note in" notebooks, but it is not. Also, a quick way to navigate to that note's notebook. If I double click the search result, the note opens in a new window but the default notebook does not change. Why wouldn't it change to that note's notebook or at the very least, due to the navigation to the note, adding its notebook to the "new note in" drop down list... nope.

Am I missing something?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, yamoinca said:

I'd think that if I select a note from the search results, then I would have an easy way of then navigating to that note's notebook or adding a new note in the same notebook.

Maybe this is what you are looking for:

1. Do your search
  2. Select the note of interest
  3. In the Note Details Panel, hover over the Notebook to show the "Jump to Notebook" button
  4. Click the Jump to Notebook button
  5. Now the New Note button is for that Notebook

2018-01-15_13-50-13.png.67c5ba138f790af3cc8da9deba33eefa.png

oh weird... I've never noticed that hover behavior, why not just have it enabled all the time!-P

And somehow, I've always associated clicking on the note area/arrow area with MOVE not navigate to notebook. Which is how clicking in that area when you are already in the notebook behaves.

Thank you for the tip, but I think this UX could be a lot more consistent and easier to discover. I don't see the need for this to be a "hover to discover" functionality, it seems very basic to the workflow and you'd think it would be surfaced prominently.

Archived