Attaching a document to Evernote, not it's content

Shamatix

Hey fellow users of Evernote,

I am a fairly new user and I was wondering if there is any ways to attach a document as so:

image.png.dce5ccde52fac70c89d98e9cc50b9ee9.png

And not it's contents, for the above picture I have renamed its fileextension from .txt to .txte, but is there some sort of option / method to simply have a .txt document ATTACHED and not just copy paste all it's content? I dont want 100+ pages of text in my note, but just the attachment ATTACHED to the note.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Shamatix said:

I am a fairly new user and I was wondering if there is any ways to attach a document as so:

image.png.dce5ccde52fac70c89d98e9cc50b9ee9.png

And not it's contents, for the above picture I have renamed its fileextension from .txt to .txte, but is there some sort of option / method to simply have a .txt document ATTACHED and not just copy paste all it's content? I dont want 100+ pages of text in my note, but just the attachment ATTACHED to the note.

5a5d119ae0adc_ScreenShot2018-01-15at12_39_39.png.1bc3d965a31754591ff8d77eaa6b4c39.pngEvernote allows attachment to notes of files of any format
This includes images, pdfs, txt, ...

I just drag the file into a note (Mac)
For some formats, I have an option of right clicking on the attachment and displaying inline or as an attachment

11 hours ago, DTLow said:

5a5d119ae0adc_ScreenShot2018-01-15at12_39_39.png.1bc3d965a31754591ff8d77eaa6b4c39.pngEvernote allows attachment to notes of files of any format
This includes images, pdfs, txt, ...

I just drag the file into a note (Mac)
For some formats, I have an option of right clicking on the attachment and displaying inline or as an attachment

With .txt attachments it just "copys" the entire content.. I dont want this inline, but rather as an attachment

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Shamatix said:

With .txt attachments it just "copys" the entire content.. I dont want this inline, but rather as an attachment

Please provide more details like your device/platform, and your method of import.

As I described; using my Mac or iPad, I'm able to drag a .txt file into a note

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Shamatix said:

I can confirm that this is the case in Evernote for Windows. Even using the menus (File > Attach Files), it copies the actual text of a .txt file into the note. That's quite annoying and unexpected. However, it is possible to drag .txt files into a note as attachments using the Evernote Web interface (https://www.evernote.com/Home.action?login=true). That might be the way to go.

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I can confirm that this is the case in Evernote for Windows.

Ah,  A windows "feature"
That is annoying.; does it happen with other formats

>>However, it is possible to drag .txt files into a note as attachments using the Evernote Web interface
@Shamatix also had the work-around of renaming the .txt extension

• Level 5
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Ah,  A windows "feature"
That is annoying.; does it happen with other formats

Even .rtf files are attached when dragged in; so also for .docx. I also tried on my Android phone, and attaching a .txt file to a note (through the menu; there's no dragging) did attach it properly. And when I opened the note in the Windows program it was present as an attachment, not as text.

• Level 5*

Another thought, in Windows you can create a shortcut to the .txt file and then drag the shortcut to Evernote.  Evernote will show this as a regular file attachment.  I'll do that if I just need a pointer to a file and not the actual contents within Evernote.  

Archived