Someone who knows how to sync evernote to samsung galaxy s8 plus, please help me. Please? From Dana Johnson

Someone who knows how to sync evernote to samsung galaxy s8 plus, please help me. Please? From Dana Johnson, especially since my notes appear from 2016 instead of 

my most recent 2018 notes. Please help me with this and thank you.

Edited by Dana Johnson
Since it was not very descriptive.
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, logandb said:

it should sync automatically

...if you have logged in with the same details you used on another device.  I second the question though: what seems to be the problem?  Evernote syncs from the server out to each device connected to your account,  and back again.  If you have another device with notes on that has synced to the server (check by logging into Evernote.com on a desktop browser),  you should be able to see those notes on a mobile synced to the same account.

How does sync work within Evernote?

• Level 5

I just got a Note 8, which ought to work pretty similarly. Please do give more details of what's going wrong. My notes have synced to the Evernote app on my phone without a hitch, and I've been able to find a workaround to sync Samsung Notes (for what they're worth) to my Evernote account also.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a new guy to Android and to the Note 8.  I am interested in how you get Samsung Notes to sync with Evernote. I have been using Evernote for sometime and prefer Evernote as an aggregation site for my information/notes/ideas/etc.

• Level 5

Hi @maybaum and welcome to the forums! I actually wrote a post more-or-less relevant to this: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/110944-evernote-and-lockscreen-notes-on-a-samsung-note-8/. I worked on it in connection with the lockscreen notes feature of the Note 8. The gist is that lockscreen notes are saved to Samsung Notes, and Samsung Notes will sync only to your Samsung account, but not to Evernote (what, you don't center your life on your Samsung account? :rolleyes:).

I came up with 2 kludges to get handwritten notes from Samsung Notes to Evernote: (1) Share the notes from within Samsung Notes by using the Share function to share as PDF, then attach that PDF manually to an Evernote note; (2) better (for me, assuming it's a short note), use the S Pen's Smart Select function to select the Samsung Note's content and share the resulting image to Evernote. In either case, you can't get handwritten text from a Samsung Note into Evernote as text. However, if you created a typed text note, not handwritten, in Samsung Notes you can share it as text only to Evernote, and it appears in the default notebook as a text note.

There's another, older (and better, IMHO) app called S Notes that can sync directly to Evernote (it's available in the Play Store). (Good info on Samsung Notes vs. S Notes in a Reddit post here: http://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyNote8/comments/7100l6/difference_between_s_note_and_samsung_notes_and/; scroll down to zolares' long comment).

What exactly syncs from S Note to Evernote is a bit complicated. Apparently, what is actually synced is an attached S Note .spd file and an image of the S Note. On the Android device, there is a separate main-menu top-level category "S Notes"; if you tap on a note there, it opens in S Note, not in Evernote. However, an automatically synced note is also created as a note in the default notebook, available in the Windows app and on the Web as well as the Android device, with the body of the note (even a purely text note) as an image (the attached .spd file is also there). Text in the image does become searchable (it can take a minute), with limitations: it can only be found by searching the notebook or all notes, not by searching within the note; and handwriting does not become searchable at all.

But wait, there's more: in S Note, as in Samsung Notes, you can tap Share, choose a format (S Note .spd file, JPG, PNG, PDF, or text only), and then Add to Evernote. This will add a note to the default notebook (in addition to the automatically synced note), in which both text and handwriting are indexed and searchable (in JPG and PDF formats, anyway, and within the limitations Evernote has for those formats). If you choose the text-only option, of course, all the text is searchable, but naturally any handwriting won't come through at all.

I hope all that is helpful. What works best for you, of course, will depend on the kinds of notes you're interested in creating and sharing. Two more points: the Android clipboard is available in both Samsung Notes and S Note, unlike Evernote, which can be convenient when typing text notes. And in all the above, note the difference between syncing and sharing. A synced note (possible only in S Note) will be updated in Evernote if you make changes to it. (The reverse cannot be done: you can't edit a note synced from S Note in Evernote, because it's in a proprietary format.) A shared note, OTOH, has only the state of the note at the time it was shared. Any further editing, whether in S Note or Samsung Notes or in Evernote, will not be synced automatically.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...