[Feature Released in Version 10.6] Add word to Dictionary

magnoliasouth

Idea

Thorough explanation of the problem: I use a lot of abbreviations that I may or may not ever need to use again which spell check often snags as incorrect. Sometimes I add them, sometimes not. Today I was writing a lot of surnames along with details. I got sick of the red squiggles and knowing I would definitely use those surnames again, I began adding them like crazy. Unfortunately for me, I'm faster at doing that than my brain can work because I added misspelled words (not names, not that it matters). I find it discouraging that it is so hard to correct spell check dictionaries. I'm not calling out Evernote because I blame Windows for making it difficult. 

I tried reading this: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/17609-how-to-edit-evernote-dictionary/ and this https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/25994-add-remove-words-spell-checking-dictionary-windows-10-a.html#option2 because I thought that perhaps since the first one didn't work, maybe it was a Windows thing. It didn't matter, neither of them work, for one, the default.dic file was empty so that was no help. I tried deleting it and it was unchanged. I am at a loss on how to handle this. 

Quick problem (for those TLDR folks): How do I edit words that I have accidentally added to spell check, as okay? It is not in C:\Users\magnoliasouth\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Dict\user.dic or any folder past 
C:\Users\magnoliasouth\AppData\Local\Evernote*  

Oh and no, my PC doesn't name me as magnoliasouth. :lol:

• Like 2

76 replies to this idea

Honestly, they cannot have thought removing this was a good idea. It's so irritating to not be able to add the technical words I need to use into the dictionary to get rid of the red underlined words. It must have been a mistake not to include it. 

Please can this be fixed soon?

• Like 5

I recently sent a request into Evernote via customer service. In order to get this issue more attention, and make them more likely to add the "Add to Dictionary" feature back, please use what ever channels of communication you can to politely request the feature back. I explained to them there are a lot of industry specific words I encounter, and it gets difficult or at the very least annoying when my notes are filled with tens or hundreds of "mispelled" words. Remember to state your case calmly, clearly, and politely. 

Thanks,

• Like 1

C'mon Evernote! Each iteration of your "updates" is worse than the last. I want to go back to the 2016 version. Why did you drop "Add Word to Dictionary"? I keep notes in multiple languages and add a lot of proper nouns that I repeat frequently. It would be nice for my notes not to be a cacophony of red underlines. 

• Like 2

I'd like to add my voice to the number of people mystified why such an obvious and pre-existing facility has been dropped. Please reinstate it. I, too, find the 'improvements' retrograde. Please stop trying to make everything look snazzier and just give us functionality.

As suggested above here is a workaround. Keep a copy of Notes open with a new 'document'. Every time you get a red squiggle in Evernote copy the word, paste it into Notes, and then when it shows a red squiggle in Notes just right click and add it to the dictionary. Then when you use that word in Evenote it is seen as correct. It seems  obvious that Evernote is using the Mac dictionary but not permitting edits of it. This did not work when I tried to add a word when using MS Word.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I'm on Windows 7. I find the dictionary at C:\Users\{username}\Evernote\Dict\user.dic, rather than in AppData. It's a straight-up text file, so it's easy to edit.

That first thread was fairly old, and the second one seemed to be about MS Office. FWIW, in Evernote, Tools > Options > General, at the bottom of the dialog either Open Database Folder or Open Log Folder will get you to the vicinity.

Dave, I followed your recommendation. This is the database folder accessed through General Options:

C:\Users\{username}\Evernote\

There are folders 'AutoUpdate', 'Crashes', 'Databases', 'Logs', but not 'Dict' (see attached).

I tried adding the folder myself, with a user.dic text file, but it is not being used by Evernote.

An added problem that I have is that none of my dictionary words save from session to session, and I've no idea why.

evernote.PNG

It seems like a workaround for this is to add the word in question to the dictionary in a different app that does have this feature, like a text editor.  I tried that and the next time I wrote the word in Evernote, it didn't get marked wrong and all of the other usages of the word in the note became "correct" (no red squiggles). Obviously, it would be better to get this feature back in Evernote itself.

Please add back the ability to add a word to the dictionary. It is very annoying to have words flagged for spelling errors when they are correctly spelled and not recognized by your dictionary. Please also add the ability to allow the user to add the meaning for the word.

I agree with nearly every one else here that it was a dumb idea to remove "Learn Spelling" in the new Evernote. I'm just thinking, "What the heck?! Really?!" Removing the ability to "Learn spelling" and still include the annoying little red dots indicating that a word is misspelled, has to be a violation of fundamental programming 101. 

Fortunately, there is a pretty simple way to "Learn spelling," at least on a Mac. I'm using macOS Big Sur and opening the Dictionary App (in the Applications folder) will allow me to type in the affected word and then in that very field where I type the word, I can right-click select, "Learn Spelling." You have to make sure the entire word is selected, not just click inside the word or else you won't see the "Learn Spelling" selection. Once this is done, it takes a few seconds for the red dots to disappear, but disappear they will.

You can also use a more round-about way, using more clicks and contextual menus to get this done in TextEdit or Microsoft Word, but the Dictionary app looks to me to be the quickest way to get it done, until the Evernote folks get their heads on straight!

Regardless of this annoyance, I still love Evernote. I've been using it extensively for years and have pretty much enjoyed it the whole time.

I have been using the 'add to dictionary' feature a lot as I am a student and very few technical terms are recognized by the spellcheck. The red lines under these words are one of my biggest pet peeves. Since the update, I have been unable to add anything to the dictionary, the words I previously added are not recognized, and I can't even just click to 'ignore the error'. I've been exclusively using the legacy version because of this. Was this feature actually removed during the update or was it just moved elsewhere? It seems like something that wouldn't be removed as it's such a standard feature in an word processing software. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there something in my settings I could change to get an 'add to dictionary' button to appear upon highlighting and right clicking a word? 

• Like 6

This is insane to remove a basic feature like this and now notes are littered with awful red lines whenever I use scientific vocabulary.  C'mon this is blatant disregard for your users, and something that could be worth switching platforms over.

It's gone. I don't see it any more. This is very frustrating. This could make move to other solution, such as OneNote from Microsoft. 

Like you, I have so many words that I need to add to dictionary so it does not show with the annoying red underline. 

I mostly use Windows 10, I have thousands of Evernote notes. 

• Like 1

I also am missing my Add to Dictionary option! I like to use Evernote for writing fiction, but of course these made-up words aren't in the dictionary. The red lines drive me banana sandwiches! I know they shouldn't...but they really, really do.

• Like 3
On 12/18/2020 at 8:24 AM, Bossart said:

As suggested above here is a workaround. Keep a copy of Notes open with a new 'document'. Every time you get a red squiggle in Evernote copy the word, paste it into Notes, and then when it shows a red squiggle in Notes just right click and add it to the dictionary. Then when you use that word in Evenote it is seen as correct. It seems  obvious that Evernote is using the Mac dictionary but not permitting edits of it. This did not work when I tried to add a word when using MS Word.

While I apreciate work a good work around for issues. It would be really nice if they would just take a short amount of time to return a feature that is useful.

Hi AH1997,

Yes the "Add to dictionary" option is no longer included in the Evernote software. There have been a few other threads discussing this as well as possible work arounds. Myself and a few others have made requests to have them added back, but all I recieved was a response informing me that my feedback was appreciated and will be considered. I also agree this is a pretty standard feature that you would think to be obviously something that should be included. I can only hope they will actually consider it, and some time in the very near future add it back.

On 12/16/2020 at 10:46 AM, AH1997 said:

I have been using the 'add to dictionary' feature a lot as I am a student and very few technical terms are recognized by the spellcheck. The red lines under these words are one of my biggest pet peeves. Since the update, I have been unable to add anything to the dictionary, the words I previously added are not recognized, and I can't even just click to 'ignore the error'. I've been exclusively using the legacy version because of this. Was this feature actually removed during the update or was it just moved elsewhere? It seems like something that wouldn't be removed as it's such a standard feature in an word processing software. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there something in my settings I could change to get an 'add to dictionary' button to appear upon highlighting and right clicking a word? 

On 12/18/2020 at 9:24 AM, Bossart said:

This does NOT work for PCs. Thanks for the time you put into attempt the help, but specify that this is for Macs and not PCs.

• Level 5
9 hours ago, Abdicate said:

This does NOT work for PCs. Thanks for the time you put into attempt the help, but specify that this is for Macs and not PCs.

.... says a user who is obviously posting this in a feature request, forum section „Evernote requests FOR MAC ...“.

Everything in this section is FOR MACS and does not need to be specified as NOT FOR PCS. For PCs there is another forum section.

On 12/25/2020 at 6:57 PM, PinkElephant said:

.... says a user who is obviously posting this in a feature request, forum section „Evernote requests FOR MAC ...“.

Everything in this section is FOR MACS and does not need to be specified as NOT FOR PCS. For PCs there is another forum section.

Thanks for nothing. You've only proved that their search SUCKS! The sole indication is the URL breadcrumb this if Macs only - who reads that!? No one.

Time to fire those that think Evernote needed "upgrading." They must have worked for their competitors and want Evernote destroyed. I mean thing about it! Why would ANYONE remove the right-mouse-click menu options AND change how the search works (more complicated) AND remove add to dictionary!? The CEO is blind or the culprit!

• Like 1

Hello there, I have the same problem. Every time I write the word "Dax" it is red and underlined. How do I either add this word to my evernote dictionary, or, disable the spell checker?

• Level 5

<irony on> Glad you are so clever ...

What a miss to loose such a competent subscriber <irony off>

Or didn’t you want to tell us stupids how dreadful it is we are still sticking in this miserable IT-pothole ? Then I probably misread your post, sorry for that ! Hope you are lucky with your decision, and wow, now you can look down from the Olymp of insight into the plagued lowlands, where millions of Evernote users (like me) endure their harsh fate. Oh what a feeling ...

• Level 5

Glad to learn another great insight tonight.

To your disappointment I am not customers service, not on EN payroll, just another user, who is of the opinion that we are here to exchange learning and improvements, not to point fingers. Not at EN employees, not at fellow users. A single forum search on your issue would have revealed a bunch of threads about spell checking in v10, the fact that EN staff is aware of the shortcoming, and is working on a fix. Maybe their fixing list is a bit overwhelming, so we will see how long it takes to roll this out.

By the way, I know notion well enough. It does o.k. with some functions, weak on others, as always priorities depend on the use cases. For me - with my use cases - it is not a front runner, if one day I decide to move my hoard to another place. It may be the best fit for others, who knows. And surprise - currently my best fit is still EN, running on legacy.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Empy said:

Hi Bryan,

Thanks very much for your suggestion. I checked Notion out and its much more in line with what I need. 

Best wishes,
Michelle Pace

I would have never thought of changing but we are loving Notion!! The database functions are out of this world

I'm also here to say the right click -> "add to dictionary" feature seems to be gone. Could we get this back?

I found the user.dic file and i've added words but it doesn't seem to be working. The red squiggles are still present in my notes.

Just to add noise to this issue. I can't hardly believe they made the decision to remove the dictionary. This was a decision, and people nodded and agreed that the dictionary was not necessary. They even put a blurb in the support docs letting us know that dictionary is not supported in the newer versions. They must not use Evernote. I wonder what they use. 

This is abysmacrap for neologisticians! 

• Like 1

They consciously CHOSE to remove add to dictionary?!?!?!? And I just chose to upgrade to premium. Looks like a super dumb move on both our parts. They need to bring it back. It's an absolutely basic feature for anybody who writes anything. Not to mention, if they'd given any thought about UX, they could have foreseen that people would not be happy about it being removed. Those red squiggly lines for words that aren't in the dictionary and can't be added are a HORRIBLE user experience. I'm sure it's a deal breaker for all kinds of users, including myself. I won't be renewing if they don't fix this.