(Archived) tag:@* not working? what's wrong with non-existent items?

I've been playing with Ruud Hein's GTD article: http://ruudhein.com/evernote-gtd.

His system is based on using @tags - e.g., "@waiting for", "@someday", etc., to keep your GTD "tag namespace" separate from other tags.

Two questions:

(1) One of the saved searches is:

todo:false tag:@* -tag:sd -tag:@project -tag:@wf

However, the wildcard tag...

tag:@*

...just doesn't seem to love me. Every attempt to use this in a saved search results in "Saved search query contains non-existent items". I do have some tags setup that should match that wildcard. ??? If I take that part out the rest of the query is fine. Putting it as

tag:"@*"

doesn't seem to make a difference.

(2) What is the problem with non-existent items? Who cares? Maybe I'll have some in the future. Evernote should let me enter search queries even if they don't currently match any notes.

Which client are you using? It may be a client bug.

In general, you may be better off using the underscore character (_) as your magic marker for special tags instead of the @ symbol, since the underscore is considered a "word character" like letters and numbers.

Which client are you using? It may be a client bug.

In general, you may be better off using the underscore character (_) as your magic marker for special tags instead of the @ symbol, since the underscore is considered a "word character" like letters and numbers.

Windows version 3.5.4.2343 (85292). Ruud's article is from September 2009, so perhaps something changed since then.

• Level 5*

I see this working in 3.5.5.2491 (88745) : it found my '@' prefixed tags no problem.

I might have to change the '@'s to '_', but my brain balks at that, since '_' prefixed identifiers are reserved in C++ for the implementation (i.e. verboten for developers). :)

~Jeff

Archived