Anyone else having a problem with note content taking forever to display?

All my notebooks are fully downloaded and with and iphone 7 and ipad 10.5 2017 some notes (maybe every fifth note) take 30 seconds to display. I just get a spinning circle in the middle of the note. Like I said every single notebook is fully downloaded and even if they weren't I just did a speed test and my connection is fast. Anyone else?

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, bounce said:

All my notebooks are fully downloaded

Just to confirm - you're using the "Offline Notebook" feature and have selected all notebooks

I'm not getting a delay in viewing my notes on my iPad Pro

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, bounce said:

All my notebooks are fully downloaded and with and iphone 7 and ipad 10.5 2017 some notes (maybe every fifth note) take 30 seconds to display. I just get a spinning circle in the middle of the note. Like I said every single notebook is fully downloaded and even if they weren't I just did a speed test and my connection is fast. Anyone else?

Yes. Same here. Happening on latest beta as well. Offline or not seems to make no difference. It is  like it is the rendering engine that is the bottleneck, not the getting of data.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Just to confirm - you're using the "Offline Notebook" feature and have selected all notebooks

I'm not getting a delay in viewing my notes on my iPad Pro

Yes, where it indicates with the green arrow down that the notebook is downloaded and available offline. There are no horizontal green "downloading progress" bars on any of the notebooks this is happening in.

4 minutes ago, EdH said:

Yes. Same here. Happening on latest beta as well. Offline or not seems to make no difference. It is  like it is the rendering engine that is the bottleneck, not the getting of data.

Exactly that. Also, on my end, some of these notes instantly open up and other times there is just that spinning circle for 10-45 seconds. Isn't affected by upswiping the app closed, rebooting, etc etc

It's not ram/cpu related either as I've been monitoring that and also did a slog through uninstalling/reinstalling/download the app and all the notebooks on ipad pro/iphone.  Some notes are instant and some just spin and spin...

• 2 weeks later...

I also do have this issue since some time, I guess since the last update. It is tremendously annoying. My favorite notes with some to dos do spinn for approx 30s. Anyone has any idea for how long we do have to leave with this amazing bug?

I would like to emphasize that Evernote on my Mac is NOT showing this behavior. 

The only way I was able to get this behavior to go away was to mark some of my notebooks not available offline. That helped on my ipad tremendously. That said, I'd like to have all my notebooks downloaded for offline because I don't have my ipad connected online when working in some remote locations and it's kind of important to be able to access all the research.

My ipad 2017 10.5 gets the spinning when all notebooks are downloaded, my Macbook pro intermittently has the problem too. I agree, it is frustrating to be in the flow of work and have this happen.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, scpben said:

Been frustrated with this for a while too.  Anybody contact support?

I just submitted a ticket (# 2418452)

I see the delay every so often.  There's no pattern.  My database is offline so there's no transmission delay

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, scpben said:

How many notes do you have?  I'm at 3500

15,000 notes.  The issue doesn't seem related to the # of notes or the note contents

• Like 1

I have the same problem. My notebooks are all marked for offline, but notes, sometimes even notes that I had just been in before switching to a different app, have the spinning wheel in the content area. My personal theory is that it has to do with the syncing of the notebooks. On your iPad, when you next open the app, open the Notebooks pane and just leave it there for a little while. It will go through the initial sync and various notebooks will have the green line showing the downloading/syncing of notes. After that is done, a few seconds later, the green line will appear on various notebooks again, and sometimes stay there for awhile.

Response from Tech team to this issue 3-15-18

"Hi Jeff, thanks so much for your patience, my apologies for the delay.  I'm on the technical support team, I'll be continuing to assist you with the issue you're experiencing with the iOS app being very slow to load note content.

I can confirm that this is a known issue on our end that our development team is actively investigate. It so far appears to be specific to setting all notebooks to offline. We are working on identifying the root cause and implementing a fix as soon as possible. It has so far been a rather complex issue to nail down, but our development team has been making good progress and they are in the process of testing a potential fix.

In the meantime, since the issue is specific to offline notebooks, one workaround would be to turn that feature off, though of course I understand this may not be ideal depending on your workflow. Another workaround that seems to help is to set the device to airplane mode, which usually speeds things up.

• 4 weeks later...

This has been affecting me for over 6 months on IOS. Notes taking ages to load. New note taking 20 seconds to display.

I can report that, instead of downloading all notebooks, but selecting my 2 main ones make the New Note request instant.

Note display still very laggy.

Malc

• Level 5*

Known issue, and still happening often.

and no one can tell me that the emoji rendering engine isn't playing a part in this. but, we have emojis!!!!!

That’s wild if it has something to do with emoji. I mentioned to support that notes with certain emoji from a specific site might have something to do with it for me. Was mentioning everything possible, but didn’t really think that could be it.

Hah, sometimes when dealing with issues affecting my notes my sarcasm radar is totally broken. That said, a string of text with a smiling emoji kept getting injected into random notes  last year when I was having corruption issues in notes.

So, being a rather new user (half a year), I work with three notebooks (work, private, creative) and few notes (thirty-ish) and no Emojis (yet).

And since Easter holidays (during which I didn't open Evernote), some notes on my iPhone will simply not open at all. I first thought it had to do with some notes being overdue... :o But some overdue notes I could open. So, finally I rtfm, followed the counsels on closing, opening, updating, uninstalling, checking if data still exists online. All good and well - data in the cloud is there, re-install didn't change a lot. I agree with above opinion that it is not the transfer of data, because I tried it using local WiFis and my phone providers connection - but to no avail. I don't have images in there, just plain text, some lists/checkboxes... :(

I was considering switching from basic to a bigger deal, but in this way, the tool is useless to me...

Has anyone experience with Evernotes bug-solution rate and speed?

• 7 months later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, ptcummings said:

Was there ever any resolution to this case?  Seems like a pretty serious problem.  I'm not hitting it.

Same. It takes forever to even get a blank note to pop up and be usable and sometimes it fails to save what I type. 

• Level 5*

The iPad app has become virtually unusable for me.  Takes forever to load and then I can get 10 characters ahead typing.  iPhone is better, but not near the performance of a few releases back.

• Level 5*

The two most troublesome issues on the iPad app for me are the notes that fail to render despite being downloaded for offline and being (usually) unable to search notes offline. Both problems defeat the purpose of having offline notes in the first place, so I hope this is solved soon.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

I’d give anything to go back to Evernote for iOS circa 2014 or so. It was insanely fast and reliable. This newer version has so much c r a p going on in the editor it slows it down. Why can’t I just get a blank note and not this embedded template stuff. Make a button for that if I want it. But it got slow long before templates. I think the common editor across platforms may be what has ruined it. 

I swore I wouldn’t subscribe to Drafts because for me it is too expensive, but I am rethinking that. I’d pay good money, above the $80/yr I already give to Evernote, to be able to open a new note and start typing. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, EdH said:

I’d give anything to go back to Evernote for iOS circa 2014 or so. It was insanely fast and reliable. This newer version has so much c r a p going on in the editor it slows it down. Why can’t I just get a blank note and not this embedded template stuff. Make a button for that if I want it. But it got slow long before templates. I think the common editor across platforms may be what has ruined it. 

I swore I wouldn’t subscribe to Drafts because for me it is too expensive, but I am rethinking that. I’d pay good money, above the $80/yr I already give to Evernote, to be able to open a new note and start typing. 

Agreed 100%, other than the paying more.  They just need to fix this stuff.  I can't imagine anyone working at EN is using the app on these platforms based upon the performance.   I'm thinking about getting a Surface during this Black Friday/Cyber Monday season, even though what I've seen in the forums isn't that glowing.  Talk about throwing out the baby with the bathwater.  Make it go away!!!!!! 😱

• Level 5*

I don’t have any interest in going back, because I’ve had an endless string of irritating minor bugs + occasional big ones. I can’t actually remember a time when everything just worked. To be fair, Apple comes along every year or so and breaks stuff with new ios versions, and forces everyone to runa around like chickens with their heads cut off to build, revise, or aabandon apps in time for it.

I’d just settle for an app that works. I also take a serious look at the Surface every time it gets updated. No time to actually pull the trigger this year. I’m already too busy. And, that is what makes any bug that much more frustrating. I’ve got stuff to do.

• 4 weeks later...

Using iOS 12, my Evernote takes FOREVER to load, even with a paid subscription.  Hoping for a solution, I have uninstalled, deleted, reinstalled, rebooted my Iphone 6 several times, and it works for a while and slows down again.  Could I have too many notes and that's slowing it down? 

I also wish that I could go back to the 7.1 (?) series of Evernote for iOS where things were fast and worked.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern to when notes take a long time to display or when I type a new note and then I lose the note contents after I click "Done".  In both cases, I get a spinning wheel until the iPhone / iPad shuts off because of interactivity or I just get frustrated and kill Evernote.

I'm on the latest version of iOS and Evernote and only have most notebooks synced for offline use.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 12/20/2018 at 7:37 AM, Ron Vutpakdi said:

I also wish that I could go back to the 7.1 (?) series of Evernote for iOS where things were fast and worked.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern to when notes take a long time to display or when I type a new note and then I lose the note contents after I click "Done".  In both cases, I get a spinning wheel until the iPhone / iPad shuts off because of interactivity or I just get frustrated and kill Evernote.

I'm on the latest version of iOS and Evernote and only have most notebooks synced for offline use.

Between templates and the new "improved" editor, it is slow. Even on my iPhone XS Max, which is currently the fastest iOS device available, there is a lot of stuttering trying to do stuff. I've slowly weaned myself off of Evernote on iOS for data entry. I mostly put it in a text file or OneNote then copy it over on my desktop later.

Happening again here on ios and osx. A few times in the past hour on ios where I tried to open an offline note and it wouldn’t render. Had to click a note in the shortcut pane and back to the note I was trying to get to and only then it would render on screen.  

On 11/20/2018 at 5:06 PM, EdH said:

Yea, I have an email launcher app to Evernote set up in the top of my iOS widget area. It’s not a great solution since emailing in to Evernote has failed me before. Not paying for Drafts  either, I used it before it went subscription and I’d figure a shortcut app route before that.

I was thinking back on how five years ago I was in a relationship and the woman I was with read my diary I was at the time keeping in Evernote via iPad. What’s hilarious to me is I was hardly putting anything in there because the editor was such a fail. So the ***** editor maybe saved me....

Putting some thoughts in Evernote this first day of the year and I’ve had moments where I’m trying to hold a couple in mind while I wait for the note I’m writing in to open. Five years down the line, still, that cognitive load of wondering if a note will come up so you don’t forget your thought.

• 5 months later...

This just started happening to me. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9+. My Evernote was working fine until this week, and now it takes longer and longer to open a note. I only use Evernote for taking personal notes, just regular text, and I have the basic version, which means no offline notes. I do have the full 160 notebooks and around 18,000 notes. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Billy S said:

This just started happening to me. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9+.

As per @PinkElephant, you should br posting in this discussion

• 11 months later...