How can I restore Evernote Desktop from Evernote Web?

My desktop version of Evernote crashed this morning and only partially recovered the data in my notebook. All files that were originally created before 2011 are there, but everything else is gone.

The good news is that ALL OF MY FILES are still on Evernote Web but I can't figure out how to restore my desktop version from what's on Evernote Web. A simple sync did not make a difference. Can anyone please advise?

I've read through what Evernote has shared on their help pages, but everything there points to restoring from a back-up that's already saved to the hard drive - my back-up on my drive did not do the trick (it only partially recovered) while I have no other offline back-up. I need to access what's on Evernote Web and get that onto my hard drive version.

FWIW, I haven't opened up Evernote on iOS via my iPhone to see what's there.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Level 5*
On 2018-01-07 at 7:36 AM, chance bliss said:

The good news is that ALL OF MY FILES are still on Evernote Web but I can't figure out how to restore my desktop version from what's on Evernote Web. A simple sync did not make a difference. Can anyone please advise?

You can force a full sync by:  Hold the Shift and Option keys on your keyboard and click the sync wheel

• Level 5*

Hi.  Also ouch.  Your attempt at syncing could have sent the partially recovered files to Evernote as the latest versions and may have overwritten your original files. 

What you need to do is remain offline and uninstall Evernote from your computer and delete or move the current database files.  Before you uninstall Evernote,  get the folder location with Option-Key Help > Troubleshooting > Open Database Folder and make sure that all the files are gone.

Once you have an 'empty' machine,  reconnect,  reinstall the current Evernote version and sync.  You'll get your database rebuilt by the server.

If there are still problems with missing or damaged notes your iPhone MAY have some local copies of your most recent notes.  Put it in Airplane mode to avoid it syncing more bad copies from the server and email any notes you can see to yourself to copy into Evernote.  Good luck!

@DTLow is right of course - you can force a sync,  but I'd suggest you delete (or move) your damaged database first! 

Thank you for your feedback.

Here’s an update: besides making a back-up of all the data that I could, I did nothing else except leave Evernote Desktop open (and online) when many hours later, I noticed everything had been restored. That is, there originally were 1484 notes on my desktop version of Evernote, just as there were on Evernote Web, and eventually all 1484 notes reappeared on Evernote Desktop.

Everything seems to be OK. That is, everything seems to be as it was before my drive crashed and Evernote struggled to restore my notes.

I haven’t been able to identify any missing notes. Has anyone else had experiences similar to this?

Does it seem plausible that Evernote Web would essentially restore everything by itself onto my Evernote Desktop?

As a footnote, for proper order’s sake, I’ve since made a new back up of my notebooks.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, chance bliss said:

Does it seem plausible that Evernote Web would essentially restore everything by itself onto my Evernote Desktop?

Its actually your Evernote desktop app doing the heavy living
The master version of our notes is stored on the Evernote servers; a copy is maintained on our computer

There is a process that detects a corrupted database, and rebuilds the database from the server
Sometimes we have to trigger this manually; my full sync instructions, or actually deleting the database

Warning: The rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There is a process that detects a corrupted database, and rebuilds the database from the server
Sometimes we have to trigger this manually; my full sync instructions, or actually deleting the database

Warning: The rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes

thank you for the explanation. and thanks for the warning, it is duly noted. have also backed-up local notebooks. thanks!

Archived