bulletlist loses indentation levels if opened on the web

Recent premium user after using evernote free for 4 years and just ran into this issue where I used the evernote app for OSX and created a fairly lengthy note full of bulleted lists with varying degrees of indentation in sub-headings. All looked good and formatted to my liking, but as soon as I opened this note in the web browser (from a Linux machine where there is no evernote app) the whole indentation levels were lost.

It went from something like:

• foo
    • bar
      • baz
    • za
    • za
  • gabor

to

• foo
  • bar
  • baz
  • za
  • za
  • gabor

Hoping there is a solution or workaround for this as a new premium user (less than a week) I am terribly unhappy and bitter that this simple issue is undermining the simplest usecase I had for evernote which motivated me to pay.

To be more specific, the issue isn't just opening the notes on your web browser. To reproduce it:

Create a note with

• foo
    • bar
      • baz

Edit it from the web. Close and open your evernote app on mac. You will see note going from formatted state to losing all bullet list indentation levels.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the same issue. I can create the note in OS X or on Android and they sync without an issue. Once opened in web browser, I have either the issue Bloulou has mentioned above, or (even worse), all my bullets gets doubled, eg:

• this
  • is
  • a
  • test

=> turns into

•  
  • this
  •  
  • is
  •  
  • a
  •  
  • test
  •  

In my experience, the Bloulou issue happens w/ Chrome, the "worse" version  I am mentioning here happens with Firefox.

On 12/31/2017 at 3:41 PM, Goncalo Gomes said:

Hoping there is a solution or workaround for this as a new premium user (less than a week) I am terribly unhappy and bitter that this simple issue is undermining the simplest usecase I had for evernote which motivated me to pay.

Are you joking? I believe that the sole reason that evernote has introduced a new forum is because on the old one it was too obvious how little they care about issues of (even) premium users and how unprobable bordering with impossible it is to expect a fix (any fix, of any issue, no matter how critical, no matter how many years ago it turned up). I've been premium user as long as I can remember, If all my notes from last decade weren't so unfortunately stored on this god forsaken platform, I would't touch this product with a barge pole... I suspect this is the case with 90% of current evernote user-base.

Please note that using evernote is a one way street only and you will suffer for your decision sooner or later (very likely sooner, their downtimes are always unplanned and rarely well reported)...

Recently upgraded premium member here having this exact problem.  I continually have to open the historical version of my note and copy/paste the old text to restore the indentations.  This is VERY frustrating and I consider it to be a make or break issue when determining whether I will continue to renew my premium membership.  Can someone from Evernote please give some insight as to whether there is a bug fix in the pipeline and when it may be delivered?

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/04/2018 at 4:25 AM, dev1 said:

Can someone from Evernote please give some insight as to whether there is a bug fix in the pipeline and when it may be delivered?

Have you tried to contact support on Twitter? They're quite responsive.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any other than to view my note history and copy and paste the last version of the note that retained the proper bullet style.  Its a drag!

It's a HUGE pain.  Just happened to me twice today using Chrome....make an edit in Chrome.  Navigate away from the note and return back to it and all of the indentation is gone.  Had to open the app on my MacBook and view the note history to copy the last good version of the note and paste it back into the live version.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just made the mistake of opening a 300-line note on the web, carefully structured with multiple levels of bullet indentation throughout.

Now all my careful organisational work has been lost.

This is really a serious problem. Look:

Spot the difference:

• Tasks completed:
    • Task 1
    • task 2
      • Still need to speak to Dave about this
    • task 2012
    • task 52
      • Send to stakeholders on 2019-01-01
  • Tasks still to complete:
    • task 3
    • task 44
    • task 11
      • 90% complete
  • Tasks blocked
    • Task 8
      • Need to work out what's wrong
    • task 5
      • need to get info from Jane still
      • Spoke to Allan about this - see task 3
    • task 54
      • can't start until next month

Becomes:

• Tasks completed:
  • Task 1
  • task 2
  • task 2012
  • task 52
  • task 3
  • task 44
  • task 11
  • 90% complete
  • Tasks blocked
  • Task 8
  • task 5
  • task 54

Come on guys - this issue has been open almost a year - this really is not good customer service.

36 minutes ago, carthurs said:

I just made the mistake of opening a 300-line note on the web, carefully structured with multiple levels of bullet indentation throughout.

Now all my careful organisational work has been lost.

This is really a serious problem. Look:

Spot the difference:

• Tasks completed:
    • Task 1
    • task 2
    • task 2012
    • task 52
    • task 3
    • task 44
    • task 11
      • 90% complete
  • Tasks blocked
    • Task 8
    • task 5
    • task 54

Becomes:

• Tasks completed:
  • Task 1
  • task 2
  • task 2012
  • task 52
  • task 3
  • task 44
  • task 11
  • 90% complete
  • Tasks blocked
  • Task 8
  • task 5
  • task 54

Come on guys - this issue has been open almost a year - this really is not good customer service.

I've had the same happen to me multiple times, with long bulleted lists. Only recently I found that one can revert to previous version, to undo the indentation-issue. 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I have now had this happen to me with ALL my notes. I am a premium member! I happen to edit my notes on Firefox yesterday at home and now opened my files today and both on my Chrome browser at work and on my ipad I have no bullet indents, they are all in one VERY LONG line. Unfortunately I see a lot of users having this same experience but not commnets from EverNote on how to fix it!!!! Help!!!!

On 7/23/2019 at 12:16 AM, Sunrocklane said:

I have now had this happen to me with ALL my notes. I am a premium member! I happen to edit my notes on Firefox yesterday at home and now opened my files today and both on my Chrome browser at work and on my ipad I have no bullet indents, they are all in one VERY LONG line. Unfortunately I see a lot of users having this same experience but not commnets from EverNote on how to fix it!!!! Help!!!!

I believe the this happens when you switch between the new web app (that you get when you access Evernote from a Chrome based browser) and the old web app (that you get when you access Evernote from a say Firefox). Stick to a Chrome based browser (for example Brave) and I believe you should be fine. 

In the mean time, you can revert the broken notes to their previous version to restore the list formatting. 

• 2 weeks later...