Irrelevant finds

mikecox39

It seems, to me, that EV searches should be more intuitive, and less fussy. I've been using EV for years and I still spend way too much time finding things.  I usually give up on Searching and simply narrow my search to items that I've tagged, and search visually. 

I believe what complicates my searches is the default setting of filters, settings that produce unwanted and confusing results.  See my attachment. 

EN Search.jpg

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, mikecox39 said:

See my attachment. 

First place to look when you suspect the search results in if Any/All is set correctly.  I think the EN default is All (unless you opt to automatically select child tags which causes an Any search when you select a parent tag).

Your first search has the Any modifier in it.  By definition it will find notes with any of the three conditions, pin in the title or either of the two tags. 

• If you are trying to find notes with either tag that have pin in the title, you can't do it in one step in EN since Boolean (AND) search isn't implemented.  To do that you would have to do an Any search on the two tags, tag the resultant notes with a temp tag and then do an All search for intitle:pin tag:temp.

The second search, though an All, only has one term, the  intitle:"pin:", so you only get notes with pin in the title.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Sounds too complicated and not at all intuitive but I will try and understand the in's and out's of the   process you've tried to help me understand,  a process that, seems to me, should be more simple and intuitive

Frankly, I'm surprised more people aren't expressing frustration with the complexity of doing a simple search in EN.

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, mikecox39 said:

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Sounds too complicated and not at all intuitive but I will try and understand the in's and out's of the   process you've tried to help me understand,  a process that, seems to me, should be more simple and intuitive

Frankly, I'm surprised more people aren't expressing frustration with the complexity of doing a simple search in EN.

You are welcome.  It's kind of like riding a bike, once you get it, you've go it.  Good luck.

• Level 5*
On 12/30/2017 at 7:20 PM, mikecox39 said:

This is the difference between common 'and' and 'or' searches. The meaning of the search is expressed in English in the search info dialog. Do you have a suggestion as to how to express (create or explain) these types of searches better?

• Level 5*
On 2017-12-27 at 6:35 PM, mikecox39 said:

I believe what complicates my searches is the default setting of filters, settings that produce unwanted and confusing results.  See my attachment. 

In your attachment, I see "intitle:pin".  That's a very straightforward search

I'm curious where the "tagged with" parameters came from?

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm curious where the "tagged with" parameters came from?

Probably added by Shift+Clicking on a tag in a note header, which is a Windows feature that adds the tag to the current search context, though it doesn't add the tag name to the search edit control.

Archived