No support for non-breaking spaces?

Glenwing

Idea

It would be nice if non-breaking spaces were supported. Currently if you type or copy one in, it's simply replaced with a normal space. Very annoying.

As you can see in the video, Evernote breaks lines across both normal and non-breaking spaces. I then demonstrate via a website that my keyboard is functioning correctly and has the capability to type non-breaking spaces, and then demonstrate typing an nbsp on another website, verifying it is a non-breaking type, copying it to evernote and then copying it back, and it has transformed into a normal space.

It's a bit annoying that such a basic standard behavior is not adhered to.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5

OTOH, Evernote is designed to be used across a wide variety of platforms, and it's fairly unlikely that lines will break at the same places on all those screens. I would guess that for most users (only a guess, I haven't done a survey!), an Evernote note on an Android device is not intended to be in final form with perfect formatting, so this might not be a high priority for EN's developers.

On 12/23/2017 at 7:48 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

OTOH, Evernote is designed to be used across a wide variety of platforms, and it's fairly unlikely that lines will break at the same places on all those screens. I would guess that for most users (only a guess, I haven't done a survey!), an Evernote note on an Android device is not intended to be in final form with perfect formatting, so this might not be a high priority for EN's developers.

When you write a lot of paragraphs with numbers everywhere, inevitably some of them will break on the units, and if you switch to a different device then it will just break on different numbers instead. It's not like I'm writing this because I encountered this one time as if it's a one time occurrence. It's all the time.

It's also a complete mess if I want to write large numbers with spaces as separators (i.e. 1 000 000 000) which is the standard in technical writing to avoid confusion between people who use commas as decimal places and periods as separators and vice versa. I'm trying to get myself accustomed to this convention when I write technical documents, but it's difficult when I have to actively avoid doing it that way when taking notes.

I realize it's an obscure feature though, and I don't really expect anything to be done about it, I'm just doing my due diligence to bring it up, let it not be said I didn't let the developers know about it.

Archived