CTRL X Bug

Whether this is an intentional feature or not I am not sure but for me it is not only pointless but has caused the loss of important data.

I use the functions CTRL X & CTRL V a lot for moving text within and between notes.  There was one instance where I used CTRL X to cut some text from one note and then move it to another note.  When I got to the other note and pressed CTRL V nothing happened.  I went back to the old note and the text that I had highlighted and cut with CTRL X had disappeared.  I then tried CTRL Z to undo the cut command but nothing. I pressed CTRL V again and nothing. My text had just disappeared!

By trying to repeat my processes I managed to find out what had caused this.  Occasionally I have a habit of pressing X twice when hitting CTRL X.  If you tap X twice on Evernote, on the second time pressing X it stupidly replaces the original highlighted text that was cut with the new blank space in its place which is nothing, literally blank space!  So when I go to CTRL V I am now copying nothing, just blank space. (I am a long time user of mac notes, and if you do this on mac notes the command is invalid and won't replace your original cut text with just a space, it will keep the original text cut as what needs to be copied - this is what needs to happen with evernote)

Now this is annoying - but if I could at least simply CTRL Z I might be able to put up with it however inconvenient it is.  Because I switched to another note to CTRL V, by the time I navigated back to the original note I can no longer CTRL Z because I moved about!!!  So the original highlighted text I wanted to cut and copy is now lost forever.

For me this is a major flaw, please fix ASAP to prevent more lost data in the future.

Thank you

Just now, Liam Gallagher said:

Whether this is an intentional feature or not I am not sure but for me it is not only pointless but has caused the loss of important data.

I use the functions CTRL X & CTRL V a lot for moving text within and between notes.  There was one instance where I used CTRL X to cut some text from one note and then move it to another note.  When I got to the other note and pressed CTRL V nothing happened.  I went back to the old note and the text that I had highlighted and cut with CTRL X had disappeared.  I then tried CTRL Z to undo the cut command but nothing. I pressed CTRL V again and nothing. My text had just disappeared!

By trying to repeat my processes I managed to find out what had caused this.  Occasionally I have a habit of pressing X twice when hitting CTRL X.  If you tap X twice on Evernote, on the second time pressing X it stupidly replaces the original highlighted text that was cut with the new blank space in its place which is nothing, literally blank space!  So when I go to CTRL V I am now copying nothing, just blank space. (I am a long time user of mac notes, and if you do this on mac notes the command is invalid and won't replace your original cut text with just a space, it will keep the original text cut as what needs to be copied - this is what needs to happen with evernote)

Now this is annoying - but if I could at least simply CTRL Z I might be able to put up with it however inconvenient it is.  Because I switched to another note to CTRL V, by the time I navigated back to the original note I can no longer CTRL Z because I moved about!!!  So the original highlighted text I wanted to cut and copy is now lost forever.

For me this is a major flaw, please fix ASAP to prevent more lost data in the future.

Thank you

PS - If someone could please get in touch with me to recover the missing data, I saved an activity log straight after the incident.  It would be much appreciated. Thank you

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Liam Gallagher said:

PS - If someone could please get in touch with me to recover the missing data

You're posting in a User Discussion conference.  
Better to contact Evernote Support directly, but I doubt they will be able to help you.

My practice is to recover lost data from backups.
I have personal backups, and as @CalS mentioned, Evernote has a Note History backup

Access to the Note History data is a paid feature but you can subscribe for a single month

• Level 5

@Liam Gallagher, I hope the suggestion offered by others of buying 1 month of Premium to get the Note History (which is maintained for all users, but accessible only to Premium) will help you. Just as an afterthought, I use a lovely clipboard manager called ClipCache, which lets me recall items copied or cut to the clipboard going back months, and do some reformatting of them before pasting too. If hitting Ctrl+X twice is a habit for you, you might find some such useful and relatively inexpensive utility handy.

Archived