You've ruined the search feature

After upgrading to 6.13.1, as others have described, the search function doesn't work... at all. I've done the "Recreate Full Text Search Index" routine several times, yet when I try to search for something, nothing is returned. And I know what I'm looking for is there. I love Evernote! I've really come to depend on it over the years. But until this is fixed, it's useless to me.

Same for me! 
I loved Evernote for not needing to create folders and structures, I just write and search for what I'm looking for.

And now, I type in a keyword, I know there must be at least 10 notes, but I get 0. And then I need to scroll down, think of when I might have written about it.... it is SOOO useless and frustrating. The value of this service has just diminished overnight.

What can one do?

Not for me.. Still wrong results with 6.13.3.

I'm hesitate to migrate to OneDrive or Notes on macos. (and I was a happy premium user from 2009 and 2014 for the business edition)

Release are getting worse and worse... 

I am also having problems with search since updating to 6.13.3.

I enter a keyword that I know yielded correct results in previous versions of the app, and now it doesn't return any results. If I enter the same search keyword in the web app (evernote.com), I see the correct results.

Definitely something broken with search the 6.13.3 Mac upgrade. I can no longer trust the search results in the Mac app, so I've stopped using it and am only using the web app now.

Keep in mind, I depend on search results, or the absence of search results, as important information. For example, I search the Evernote Mac app for the title of an important document from years ago. If I find no search results, I assume that I never uploaded the document to Evernote. So now I waste time searching in other locations for this document, or for a paper backup. I would have wasted even more time were I not suspicious of a bug and searched the Evernote web app.

I did a little research this morning. Starting with version 6.13.1 (and continuing into 6.13.3)...

The search in the Mac app is completely broken.

The online app correctly highlights the search term but it doesn't go to the first one - you have to scroll and look for the highlight(s) - which for me is not a deal breaker, as long as I know how many instances of the search term there are.

The iPad app appears to work correctly. The search terms are highlighted and it goes to the first one. This is how the Mac app worked before 6.13.1.

I'm not going to move away from Evernote right away. I use it (and love it) too much. As long as the iPad app keeps working correctly I can go to it until the Mac app is fixed. Although I'm sure many users don't have that option

My specs:
iPad (5th generation) running iOS 11.0.2
21.5" 2017 iMac running macOS Sierra (10.12.6)
Late 2011 MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

13 minutes ago, gazumped said:

If it's still not fixed in a later update,  then I think it's relevant to mention it there - but your post,  your call....  just suggesting.

Well, with 22,333 posts compared to my 4 (:)), I think I'll retract my earlier reply and agree that posting it in the version specific thread, as you suggest, makes sense.

I figure more information is better:

The search problem in the Mac app isn't consistent. I have a notebook titled "Misc." Along with many other notes in this notebook I have one titled "Passwords" in which I keep all of my passwords - dozens and dozens.

This just happened -- I did a search for the term Facebook. That term is in several notes which are in several different notebooks. The term was NOT highlighted in my Passwords note but it was highlighted in the other notes where it appeared.

I then did a search for "BAS" (the initials of the company I work for) and it WAS highlighted in the Passwords note and the other notes where it appeared.

I hope this add'l info helps in some way.

I was able to solve my problem by manually performing a search re-indexing on my Mac app. Here are the instructions.

Click on the post below for screenshots if you need more help.

However it's disappointing that there was not more communication from Evernote about such a severe issue.

@Kirkus While I hope your issue is solved, I strongly urge you to use a real password manager app for storing passwords. A real password manager app will have proper encryption and security, as well as cross-device compatibility and auto-filling. You should even store your Evernote password in a password manager app.

Check out 1Password from AgileBits.

1 hour ago, tuneq said:

I was able to solve my problem by manually performing a search re-indexing on my Mac app. Here are the instructions.

Click on the post below for screenshots if you need more help.

However it's disappointing that there was not more communication from Evernote about such a severe issue.

I've done that several times, on both of my computers. For some reason it doesn't fix the problem for me and some other users.

BTW, thanks for the password manager advice. I'll definitely check that out.

Archived