iOS Evernote app taking up 2GB on iPhone, 7GB on iPad: is this normal?

My Evernote iOS apps are consuming what seems an undue amount of storage: almost 2GB on my iPhone, and over 7GB on my iPad. I don’t have any offline notebooks. I suppose I’ve got a pretty big note collection - around 23,000, taking up around 30GB on my desktop computer - but is Evernote really supposed to consume this much memory on my “non-offline sync” devices?

If not, how should I free up space? I suppose the obvious approach is to erase the app and reinstall it, but are there other options?

For what it’s worth, syncing from my iPhone to the cloud seems really slow (or prone to hanging?) but I have no idea if that’s connected - I generally just ascribe that to having an iPhone SE and therefore being a little behind the times.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm not an iPhone user,  so can't cmment - though a few others around here will probably chime in..  as to memory hogging and reinstalling - a reinstall is pretty trivial as long as you have synced all your recent edits to the server.  If you have no offline searchable notes,  uninstalling will take off the current setup completely,  and reinstalling plus connecting to the server with your existing user ID will get you back to all your notes.  Evernote does leave stuff hanging around in temporary memory to minimise re-download time,  but although it takes up space,  it should be released if another app needs the space.  I'd suggest a reinstall and check again!

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, ibrown said:

My Evernote iOS apps are consuming what seems an undue amount of storage: almost 2GB on my iPhone, and over 7GB on my iPad. I don’t have any offline notebooks...

That seems high storage, and shouldn't be different.

The app size is small, and a small metadata database is maintained.  My usage is shown below, 200MB81B21617-6BF4-4DC7-838F-5BDD6115BA8C.thumb.jpeg.837e008dab96d2d69fc2012e65fc42ae.jpeg

As per @gazumped, I'd recommend a reinstall.  Make sure your data is sync'd before doing this

>>syncing from my iPhone to the cloud seems really slow

I have background sync enabled and don't really notice the sync activity

OK, I guess that’s a “No, it shouldn’t take up that much memory” then. Thanks all!

I’ve deleted and restored the app to both devices - the restoration seemed MUCH faster than last time I did this, so that’s nice. Now on the iPhone, Documents & Data is taking up 302 MB (down about 1.5GB), and on the iPad, it’s 770MB (down about 7GB). On the iPhone, I’ve got note preview set for title only, whereas on the iPad I’ve got it set to show images as well. That may explain the difference in memory/storage use.

And, curiously, the iPhone just uploaded a note much faster than it’s typically done over the past few weeks, so that’s nice.

Now I’m curious if the storage is going to creep up over the next little while.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, ibrown said:

Now I’m curious if the storage is going to creep up over the next little while.

There's an "Empty Cache" switch on the support screen.  I haven't had to use it, and it might impact slow down note display.

Archived