Evernote for Mac 6.14 Beta 1

Jason Creadore

Idea

UPDATED

We have heard the community and are re-releaseing 6.14 Beta 1 to address crashes that some users have been experiencing. Thanks to the development team for their quick turn around and thank you for your feedback. A updated version can also be found here

---------

Hello Everyone,

We are releasing version 6.14 Beta 1 (link updated) . The release enhances note creation with a dedicated create note button on the left pannel and contains multiple bug fixes for improved stability.

You can download it here (link updated) , or check for updates to get the latest. 

Thanks,

Jason and the rest of the Mac team

-----------------

Release Notes for 6.14 Beta 1 
* Easily accessible new note button positioned on the top left corner
* Multiple stability improvements including crash fixes

77 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, pgdahl said:

That’s your interpretation. Evernote has not stated this. 

Actually the quote above from an Evernote employee was "The green button is part of a redesign that we're exploring, and it's taking place of the old school "new note" button previously located in the toolbar"

Note: In the current version, the toolbar icon is still available as a customized toolbar option

>>I also don’t think you’ve understood the complaint, we people are making.

You believe the "New Note Button", is ruining the UX; suggests that we are all salivating idiots; a shame for once such a great product; a  Crime Against Humanity;  the End of Civilization as we know it; (I can't go on, it's too much to bear):(

I don't understand, and I think there's more critical issues needing attention

Has the cut and paste formatting issue is fixed? Our format is not retained when we copy from an external app like MS Word instead we get an "*"! So we have to remove the "*" in every line it appears and have to do the formatting all over again. This is very time consuming and really testing our patience!

14 minutes ago, A. Antunes said:

Are you people even reading? The button in the toolbar will be removed from future GA releases. The new button in the sidebar will take its place.

That’s your interpretation. Evernote has not stated this. I also don’t think you’ve understood the complaint, we people are making.

Anyway, this is the time and place to voice our dissatisfaction and let the Devs know that they are on the wrong path.

I'm so curious who at Evernote decides to invent this new 'New note button'. There's already a New Note button in the toolbar.

In all those years I see this pointless 'improvements' to the UI. 

What a shame for once such a great product.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, nicolml said:

some may say it's pointless

The New Note Button is a circle; no points (pointless)

I'd like to see it made optional.  Users can revert to the toolbar location; or no button/box

Thank you everyone for your comments and feedback. Please keep the constructive feedback coming. I apologize that some of you are having some update, crash and login issues. I confess that this release was a little bumpy and apologize for it. 

The green button is part of a redesign that we're exploring, and it's taking place of the old school "new note" button previously located in the toolbar. Yes, some may say it's pointless because you can create a new note with keyboard command (like I myself do), but many of our users prefer using the UI for this. Nevertheless I'm submitting this feedback to product in your behalf. 

For those who are running into a login loop, try going to ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote and deleting the "version" file. Launch Evernote agaiin and let me know if that works. 

For those who are experiencing crash on startup, feel free to submit your crash to us and DM me. I'll look in our crash repository to try and help you out with a resolution. 

Again, if you wish to leave the beta program and go back to the public release, you can follow the steps in this article. As much as we love you helping us out, we also understand that you may need to move on to get your work done. 

I appreciate all of your comments and constructive feedback - please keep them coming and happy holidays! 

• Ex Employees
On 12/20/2017 at 6:51 AM, cameronreilly said:

Since Version 6.14 Beta 1 (including the new new beta 1), I find that when I paste some content into a sentence, the cursor moves to the end of the sentence - not to the end of the pasted section. Is this a bug? Or a new feature? Can I turn it off?

This is an issue our editor developers are aware of. It appears to be fixed and should be available in a future update (no ETA right now). Thank you for reporting this!

I agree with everyone here, Evernote has just hit a new low with this bug, this is what the paying customers get every year when prices kept going up?

I don't care much about the button at this point, because I can't even get into the app (login loop and startup crashes despite the re-released release of 6.13.3GA), and I wasn't even on the beta path!

Coming here hoping to find a beta that works but this is hopeless.

More problems with this redesign:

The Snippet view divider row showing the month is too pale again, as is the font. This is like deja (non)vu from complaints everybody voiced many versions ago when the Snippet column suddenly got bleached, before happily regaining a healthier hue once again later.

The Reminders header is ridiculously small now. It's almost impossible to make out the number in parentheses alongside.

It's very hard to understand why the team keeps making these pointless tweaks to the interface.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, Metrodon said:
....so you've released 6.13.3 that includes a fix for...

Where does that leave 6.14.1?

No impact for  me; I'm continuing with beta testing 6.14.1

Anyone planning to downgrade, consider this

1 hour ago, nicolml said:

Hey there!

This one is on our radar and we're working on a fix soon. Thanks for bringing it up. 

What about removing the pointless green "new note" button? Can we get an update on removing it or at least making it optional?

17 hours ago, Dietrich said:

Hi Evernote team, are you going to fix the Mac Evernote Clipper in v6.14 as well?

I think it would be helpful to many users. 

best regards

Dietrich

Hey there!

This one is on our radar and we're working on a fix soon. Thanks for bringing it up. 

• Level 5*

..so you've released 6.13.3 that includes a fix for 

- A fix to for issues involving crashes on startup experienced by some users

Where does that leave 6.14.1?

Why would any of us think that you really don't know what you are doing? 

• Level 5*

We run the risk of getting on the Alpha - Beta - GA release merry-go-round again.  But it does not seem like much of a stretch to expect a public pre-release of any sort to actually start.  For instance, the most recent IOS release forced me to uninstall and reinstall the app since it would not sync anymore. And that was GA.  So...

1 hour ago, Metrodon said:

this points to inadequate internal QA of any type of public release. 

....kind of makes some sense.  And not the first time this has arisen.  For all the power of the product sometimes the road just feels bumpier than it needs to be.  :(

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Metrodon said:

I'd prefer it if you didn't talk down to me.

I'm sorry you viewed my post in this way.  I was seriously making a suggestion that a warning message be included when a beta release is posted

>>I'm very aware of the risks of using beta software

Same here, but I don't think all users are aware of the risk or how to recover

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I wasn't that concerned, especially with a beta version.  5a3abaee1daab_ScreenShot2017-12-20at11_32_01.png.d18d03adffce50ab69b28a1103ce2a05.png
I was fortunate not to have any crash issues, but with beta versions I'm prepared to back out at the first sign of trouble.

When entering the beta stream, there is a warning box displayed in Preferences.  Perhaps this should be displayed in the release announcement

GA releases are another matter, and I expect a higher degree of quality.

I'd prefer it if you didn't talk down to me.

I'm very aware of the risks of using beta software especially from Evernote. As I said, I've been here for nearly 10 years and installed pretty much every beta over that time. When I see a bug the screws up at start up being regularly reported, fixed and reported again then to my mind this points to inadequate internal QA of any type of public release. 

I know that if my team released software with this type of issue, my client would rightly be kicking my arse.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

Sorry, but nothing can be "clearly seen" in your video, at least not by me.  It is too blurry and moves too fast.  If you want Evernote and others to understand your issue, I'd suggest filtering the Note list to those notes you don't mind showing in public, and produce a clear video with narration.

Well, an empty list looks the same blurry or not. I think it's obvious. Focus on the snippet list and you will see what I mean.

8 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Sorry, but nothing can be "clearly seen" in your video, at least not by me.  It is too blurry and moves too fast.  If you want Evernote and others to understand your issue, I'd suggest filtering the Note list to those notes you don't mind showing in public, and produce a clear video with narration.

For me it's clear what the problem is but I guess we'll have to live with this bug several years until it finally gets fixed lol

the "invisible note list" bug occurs randomly when I switch between notebooks.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Stuhrer said:

It is blurry on purpose but you are right I could have added some explanation. What can clearly be seen in the video

• Level 5
5 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Your video is very blurry and unreadable.  There is also no audio.  it is always best to include narration in a video to describe what you are doing/showing.

It is blurry on purpose but you are right I could have added some explanation. What can clearly be seen in the video is that the list of notes becomes empty when it is scrolled down or up. If it is scrolled just a little bit the content becomes visible again when clicking into the list but when scrolling a larger distance it stays empty. But when clicking into the empty list, the visible note in the note window on the right side is switched. It seems to be an update problem of the note list.

I'm wondering when the "resizing images while in zoom mode"-bug gets finally fixed…

In this beta release the bug still appears and I also noticed another bug that needs to be fixed instead of spending time on the new "new note button": When pasting text, pictures, etc. into a zoomed note, the note jumps up and you have to manually scroll back down. :(

Dear Evernote development team,

I am hoping that it is not forgotten that two important usability features are missing with recent Evernote beta updates.

1. Drag and drop of images to the desktop is no longer possible, at least for me (Untitled Clipping instead of the actual image.)

2. Control/Right clicking on a note no longer brings up a textual menu. 

These are significant timesavers that I have used (before recent updates) all the time.

Feedback needed, please.

Thank you,

Joe Fahs (1-12-18)

8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Not all users have access to keyboard shortcuts

Everyone on the Mac client has access to a keyboard, that's the issue. On iOS it makes sense, but not on the Mac client. 

On 29/12/2017 at 6:07 PM, macfixer said:

For what it's worth, everybody — a clean, new install of Evernote does not have a "new note" button in the toolbar, just the Big Green Button™. When viewing it this way, I kind of like the newer look.

In my opinion: Looks is worth nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Ok, I admit that I am vain. I like things that look sleek. Also in UI. In which case I would probably not be so hostile to this innovation. However, I think this garish Fisher-Price button is ugly as original sin.

Had been running Evernote 6.14.Beta 1 (455983) on a Mac Book Pro 17" (Early 2011) 16GB RAM, 2TB SSD without problems until app crashed and would then not open.

Trashed the app, re-downloaded the re-released Evernote 6.14.Beta 1 (19 Dec 17) from website but when tried to open app, received message  "Your local Evernote data is being managed by a newer version of Evernote. Please use the latest version".

Repeated whole process with same result!

Message makes no sense to me as this version of the app IS the latest!

Any options to restore ability to see data on my laptop would be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year!!

4 hours ago, macfixer said:

For what it's worth, everybody — a clean, new install of Evernote does not have a "new note" button in the toolbar, just the Big Green Button™. When viewing it this way, I kind of like the newer look.

I'm glad the toolbar "new note" button is gone with the green button now in the sidebar. I'd still prefer if the green button was optional though. A simple keyboard shortcut can create a new note. I don't need a glaring ugly green button in the sidebar.

• Level 5*
On 2017-12-29 at 9:07 AM, macfixer said:

I also prefer the new look.  I keep a minimal view tool/sidebar

To restore the toolbar, select View > Customize Toolbar or right click on a blank spot in the toolbar
You can rearrange icons and even restore the New Note box5a467d8257f69_ScreenShot2017-12-29at09_37_38.png.b9d6d39151a0fed259f923bb8a30226a.png

34 minutes ago, A. Antunes said:

I understand the complaint just fine and here's where it was stated that the new sidebar button is taking the place of the old toolbar button:

Personally, I like this change in placement. If it's a better or worse, we'll see in time. I'm willing to give it a shot. I don't think they're on the "wrong path".

1. It is an interpretation. The operative word is ‘exploring’. 

2. It doesn’t matter to me how you feel about the new button. If you like it, tell the Devs your opinion. Don’t call me out for voicing mine.

14 hours ago, DTLow said:

You believe the "New Note Button", is ruining the UX; suggests that we are all salivating idiots; a shame for once such a great product; a  Crime Against Humanity;  the End of Civilization as we know it; (I can't go on, it's too much to bear):(

You are grossly misrepresenting my statements and misquoting me to boot. I’m disgusted.

15 hours ago, DTLow said:

I don't understand, and I think there's more critical issues needing attention

Do you think messing about with UI for the sake of it is a critical issue the Devs should spend their time on? I don’t. I am letting then know.

Em 24/12/2017 at 21:34, pgdahl disse:

That’s your interpretation. Evernote has not stated this. I also don’t think you’ve understood the complaint, we people are making.

Anyway, this is the time and place to voice our dissatisfaction and let the Devs know that they are on the wrong path.

I understand the complaint just fine and here's where it was stated that the new sidebar button is taking the place of the old toolbar button:

Em 23/12/2017 at 00:53, nicolml disse:

The green button is part of a redesign that we're exploring, and it's taking place of the old school "new note" button previously located in the toolbar. Yes, some may say it's pointless because you can create a new note with keyboard command (like I myself do), but many of our users prefer using the UI for this. Nevertheless I'm submitting this feedback to product in your behalf.

Personally, I like this change in placement. If it's better or worse, we'll see in time. I'm willing to give it a shot. I don't think they're on the "wrong path".

Has the cut and paste formatting issue is fixed? Our format is not retained when we copy from an external app like MS Word instead we get an "*"! So we have to remove the "*" in every line it appears and have to do the formatting all over again. This is very time consuming and really testing our patience!

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Not clear on what the complaint is.  We've already seen the New Note icon on other platforms (Web, IOS)5a395a8108976_ScreenShot2017-12-19at10_23_36.png.f4c14d918a76e9412f2ab951ac17e6d3.png

Because it's located in the sidebar?
Not Optional?

Previously it's a large box in the top menu bar; we still have the option of adding it

It seems entirely redundant when the option exists for putting that same button in the top bar. Which, could be fine, but then making it non-optional is a bit much. I feel that the sidebar has better things to do with its real estate than host a mandatory, redundant button.

Fingers crossed for this being an upcoming option.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, pgdahl said:

making a huge attention hugging Fisher-Price button entirely redundant

It just appeared in the current Windows beta, old add note still in place, probably through the beta.  It is big and it is green (interesting in that most of the color in the Windows UI is some shade of blue other than the elephant head).  

ScreenClip.png.3f4d6f062e94ee350e980573ee3f99e2.png

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, michael_c said:

can't roll back to 6.13.2 (version too old...).

If you're trying to "roll back" the version, make sure you address all components; the app, data, ...

I use the app AppCleaner to remove Evernote from my Mac.  After reinstalling the app, the database is rebuilt from the servers.
Warning: The rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes

>>Was it tested before launch...!?

Are you sure you want to be participlating in beta testing?
You might want to wait until the GA release

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, pgdahl said:

There are no keyboard shortcuts in iOS

The keyboard shortcut for New Note is command-N on both Mac and IOS
Note: External keyboard required, documentation at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/216788038-Keyboard-Shortcuts-for-iPad-iPhone-and-iPod-touch

>>Fisher-Price button

I like your description; it has deep insight into the psych of the masses  :)

21 hours ago, DTLow said:

Not clear on what the complaint is.  We've already seen the New Note icon on other platforms (Web, IOS)5a395a8108976_ScreenShot2017-12-19at10_23_36.png.f4c14d918a76e9412f2ab951ac17e6d3.png

Because it's located in the sidebar?
Not Optional?

Previously it's a large box in the top menu bar; we still have the option of adding it.  I'll be dropping it

There are no menu bars in iOS or the web. There are no keyboard shortcuts in iOS or the web. Both of these things are readily available in the Mac client making a huge attention hogging Fisher-Price button entirely redundant. Also, it clearly suggests that we are all salivating idiots who do not know how to make new notes.

Also, it's relegating whatever you had on top of your list before and stealing unnecessary focus (the accidental addition of new notes are going to sky rocket). Its addition is just as silly as the mandatory "Recent notes" in the iOS shortcuts tab. To quote myself on that mandatory feature: "It's pointless, ridiculous, and most of all irritatingly intrusive." Characterising this new brilliant effort from the hard working Evernote team seems apt.

3 hours ago, pgdahl said:

No! NO! Why?? NOOOO!

Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 18.16.42.png

Please tell me that button can be hidden in the sidebar? Why is it even needed? There's already multiple different ways to create a new note.

• Level 5*
On 2017-12-19 at 12:29 AM, JMichaelTX said:

Since we already have a customizable toolbar in which the user can place the New Note button anywhere

On 2017-12-19 at 9:22 AM, pgdahl said:

No! NO! Why?? NOOOO!

• Located in the sidebar?
  • Not Optional?
  • Fisher-Price style?

Previously it's a large box in the top menu bar; we still have the option of adding it.  
I'll be dropping it

• It's redundant
  • Takes up too much space
  • see the benefit of a common UI
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Jason Creadore said:
Release Notes for 6.14 Beta 1 
* Easily accessible new note button positioned on the top left corner

I'm a bit confused by this.  Since we already have a customizable toolbar in which the user can place the New Note button anywhere, why did you feel it necessary to spend valuable, scarce resources providing another button that does the same thing?  And, of course, adding any need feature also provides for an opportunity to create new bugs.

Screenshot of Evernote 6.11.1 (455059) on macOS 10.12.6, showing the existing New Note Button:

2017-12-19_02-24-25.png.10aaf37bdd157fc9c25d6489c8e675f4.png

31 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Do you see any sense in presenting a common UI across all platforms?

Do you see any sense in forcing all users to have a big green button (that can't be removed) in their sidebar when a simple keyboard shortcut takes care of the same function? 

• Level 5*

Releasing software that is fecked at launch and the only path is to delete the whole thing is a new quality low and extremely disturbing. If long term and very committed users are losing confidence in you, then you have a real problem.

Agreed.  Even public beta releases require a reasonable level of internal test/debug before unleashing it on potentially millions of users.

Having so many users of the original beta report an immediate crash on launch indicates that this reasonable level was not achieved.

• Level 5*

Releasing software that is fecked at launch and the only path is to delete the whole thing is a new quality low and extremely disturbing.

I wasn't that concerned, especially with a beta version.  5a3abaee1daab_ScreenShot2017-12-20at11_32_01.png.d18d03adffce50ab69b28a1103ce2a05.png
I was fortunate not to have any crash issues, but with beta versions I'm prepared to back out at the first sign of trouble.

When entering the beta stream, there is a warning box displayed in Preferences.  Perhaps this should be displayed in the release announcement

GA releases are another matter, and I expect a higher degree of quality.

• Level 5*

First beta that I can remember (and I've been here since 2008) that I'm not going to upgrade to.

Releasing software that is fecked at launch and the only path is to delete the whole thing is a new quality low and extremely disturbing. If long term and very committed users are losing confidence in you, then you have a real problem.

20 hours ago, DTLow said:

The keyboard shortcut for New Note is command-N on both Mac and IOS
Note: External keyboard required, documentation at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/216788038-Keyboard-Shortcuts-for-iPad-iPhone-and-iPod-touch

>>Fisher-Price button

I like your description; it has deep insight into the psych of the masses  :)

I never use any of my iOS devices with a keyboard. For most people on the go (ie. on their iPhone) it's probably well worth it to have a giant new note creation button. Not that I use or am going to use the current iOS app as it is right now. My point is: It makes sense on iOS. I struggle to find the reasoning on the desktop client (apparently the Windows beta has been blessed with this innovation too.)

22 hours ago, pgdahl said:

No! NO! Why?? NOOOO!

Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 18.16.42.png

Agreed. I have many notebooks, and between Favorites and Recents, etc., I'm always struggling to maximize the number of notebooks I can see in the sidebar.

Now this.

Please, please, PLEASE—just give us the option to hide this new, obtrusive, sidebar button. That way, people who like it can still have it, but for those of us who don't like or need it, just let us hide it.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, janstet said:

Do you see any sense in forcing all users to have a big green button (that can't be removed) in their sidebar when a simple keyboard shortcut takes care of the same function? 

As I said, a common UI across all platforms.  Not all users have access to keyboard shortcuts

Then again, not all users have access to mouse actions.  This trend could take a bad turn.  Lets hope they stop at the BGB

There's always the possibility of making it optional.  I see that feature for the other sidebar elements

Thanks for the new update.

I have not experienced any crashes but one GLARING change is that the notebook a note belongs to is no longer presented in Snippet View. 

You have moved the date and tag to the bottom of the snippet and suddenly taken from us the name of the notebook to which the note belongs.

This is not good. Please restore notebook names!!! And can we have them displayed on every snippet, whether or not they are selected, as I believe used to be the case many Evernotes ago.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, nicolml said:

Hey folks, thanks for updating to the new beta. I understand that some of you are running into a crash loop on launch. We're addressing this and will release a revised beta client in the next 24 hours.

I upgraded to 455965 Direct

I'm not seeing any changes, but had no crashing problems with the previous release

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, gmbstn said:

What is "Spaces", below "Recent Notes" when right clicking in the sidebar?

It's a  Business Account thing A55782FE-F753-4CF5-9E2D-97235BCCFDFE.jpeg.70afb43d3dfa0b8b535e2e232cc5cfff.jpeg

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015761208-Getting-Started-with-Evernote-Business-Beta

Spaces are a new, more efficient way of organizing your team’s information in Evernote Business.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Nick R said:

1. Clear out the local Evernote data:

sudo rm -R ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote

Not the usual method of deleting folder/files on a Mac.  I use the Finder app

Be aware this data includes Local Notebooks and unsync'd notes.  They will not be restored when the database is rebuilt from the servers.

If anyone would like to get the beta working again these were the steps I took:

1. Clear out the local Evernote data:

sudo rm -R ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote

2. Download the latest release from the website

3. Hide the sidebar by going to "View > Hide Sidebar"

4. Wait for it to sync your notes again.

5. Go to preferences and search for a new beta update to install.

As long as I have the sidebar turned off it's no longer crashing.

Hey folks, thanks for updating to the new beta. I understand that some of you are running into a crash loop on launch. We're addressing this and will release a revised beta client in the next 24 hours. Stay tuned. 

If you wish to leave the beta and go back to the public version in the meantime, please refer to this article: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009443868

Apologies for the crash and thank you for all the amazing feedback. 

Archived