Managing different image file types (.HEIC) can't be viewed in Evernote (iOS)

I saved an image file on Evernote on my iPhone X and unfortunately I can't view the image in the Evernote app on my Windows 10 PC.

Evernote support says this a known issue and that I should vote in the user forum so that Evernote will fix the problem.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  There's another voting thread around here somewhere - sadly I don't have a note of what that is. :mellow:

If I didn't already say so - while I agree in principle that it would be nice to have a simple look up of commonly used image formats,  there are a lot of image formats..  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_file_formats.  If Evernote add .HEIC,  which others should they include?  And.  It should (although I have no actual idea) be fairly easy to convert HEIC images to PNG or JPG with existing software. 

Other comments (and links to other threads) will no doubt ensue...

• 2 months later...
On 1/1/2018 at 5:16 AM, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  There's another voting thread around here somewhere - sadly I don't have a note of what that is. :mellow:

If I didn't already say so - while I agree in principle that it would be nice to have a simple look up of commonly used image formats,  there are a lot of image formats..  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_file_formats.  If Evernote add .HEIC,  which others should they include?  And.  It should (although I have no actual idea) be fairly easy to convert HEIC images to PNG or JPG with existing software. 

Other comments (and links to other threads) will no doubt ensue...

Although you are right that converting formats is simple, it was an unexpected occurrence as a user. And, furthermore, I saved it on my iPhone and am still seeing the generic.HEIC image on my Evernote for Mac.  I think it constitutes bad user UX on the part of Evernote. I can see the image in the actual note, it's just the thumbnail that displays incorrectly. It should be an easy fix and update for Evernote.

Certainly there are are a lot of formats out there, and it's not reasonable for Evernote to support all, or even most of them. Still, given that new iOS devices default to HEIC format, I don't think it's too much to ask Evernote to support one more format. Especially since OneNote either supports it or is converting the file on the fly when it's added to a note. Considering the size of the iOS user base, HEIC use will probably increase dramatically.

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...

I've just been testing things out. If you have the HEIC images set as on and use the Evernote App on iOS the images transfer through to the Evernote App on Mac & Windows along with the Web view. 

The issue with HEIC I've found is when you Airdrop the images directly from iPad to Mac so you can drag and drop into Evernote. 

I've found best way around this now is to insert images taken on iOS straight into the iPad Evernote App. It means having to work on the same note on 2 devices but it works for me now.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

My workaround for this issue was simple. Create a new note on my iPhone XS. Add the images from the phone to my iOS version of Evernote and voila, they synched across devices.

Edited by s2art
spelling & grammer
  • Thanks 1
  • 10 months later...

11/20/19

I wanted to add some photos to earlier notes I had created.

Working with multiple images I had downloaded from Google Photos into Finder and wanting to put them into an existing Evernote.  Neither Drag and Drop nor copy paste would work in OSx 10.14.6

I could get a single image to a new note by Preview > Share > Evernote then, one by one, Copy/Paste into the original Evernote.  Not a real solution for my situation.

Then I downloaded the iMazing HEIC converter as suggested in earlier posts.  And it worked very well, just the hassle of more file handling.

I then tried things on my phone.  In iOS 13.1.3 Can create a new note in Evernote and add multiple images from Camera Roll.  And can open existing EN and add photos from Camera Roll.  But in my case, the photos I was interested in were not on my Camera Roll.

• 1 month later...

workaround ... is not really a way for me, because I'm handling a lot of file every day and mostly on the Mac-platform (Catalina).

I can't understand this issue is known since late 2017 and still a problem in Early 2020 - come on guys :blink: !! 

Any explanations from EN-developer ??

also another discussion on the forum about the same issue: 

• Like 1