(Archived) Multiple users

emmarangi

Idea

I use a couple of different user profiles on my imac, for personal use and business use. I have the mac evernote client loaded on both. I am trying to free up some space, and it has occurred to me that I probably have two complete versions of my data, one under each user. Is there any way to have them share the files or to have one of my user accounts not save evernote data locally?

5 replies to this idea

No, there's no way to use the Mac client without having it store the data locally. (It relies on the local database to give browsing, searching, etc.)

You could, of course, access the second account from a web browser. You could also do web-only clipping to that second account from the browser. Chrome works particularly well for this, since all Chrome clipping is web-only.

Thanks for your reply Dave. As an alternative, do you know if it is possible to specify a different location for the data to live. With my itunes, for example, I have tracks stored in the "shared" part of my drive, so that all users can access them without needing duplication. I had a look round in the evernote preferences, but couldn't find this kind of option. Can it be done, and if so could you give me some tips?

I don't believe there is a way to move your Evernote database (although it has been requested many times in the forums, so perhaps something is in the works, I really don't know).

I just had an idea though. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WORKS, AND BE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF YOUR DATA. (not just on their servers - make sure you have a backup on a hard drive somewhere).

If you change the permissions on your Evernote database in one user to Everyone (or All Admins, or whatever you need to), you can make an alias for that folder.

If you replace the database in one user with that alias, renaming it appropriately of course, Evernote might not know the difference.

I HAVE NEVER TRIED THIS. Just had a thought that it might work.

On the Mac, we store your whole database in a location within the Mac user home directory. This means if you have two different Mac user logins, they may access and store data for two completely different Evernote accounts.

This is most useful for (e.g.) a family computer used by more than one person, and probably not very convenient for a single user trying to juggle two accounts.

I don't believe there is a way to move your Evernote database (although it has been requested many times in the forums, so perhaps something is in the works, I really don't know).

I just had an idea though. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WORKS, AND BE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF YOUR DATA. (not just on their servers - make sure you have a backup on a hard drive somewhere).

If you change the permissions on your Evernote database in one user to Everyone (or All Admins, or whatever you need to), you can make an alias for that folder.

If you replace the database in one user with that alias, renaming it appropriately of course, Evernote might not know the difference.

I HAVE NEVER TRIED THIS. Just had a thought that it might work.

Does this work. Can I make an alias in the Library and keep my Evernote content on another partition?

Archived