Purge Rarely Viewed Content Feature ??

Tools > Option > Purge Rarely Viewed Note is unChecked
I cannot have EN removing * any * of my notes, regardless of how old or not viewed

As long as that is unChecked is it rock-solid I will never have any notes deleted unless I remove them manually?

The option below that shows the number of days to purge after has not been viewed
Is that setting null and void without the first option enabled ?

- Thanks

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, RgaDawg said:

Tools > Option > Purge Rarely Viewed Note is unChecked
I cannot have EN removing * any * of my notes, regardless of how old or not viewed

As long as that is unChecked is it rock-solid I will never have any notes deleted unless I remove them manually?

The option below that shows the number of days to purge after has not been viewed
Is that setting null and void without the first option enabled ?

- Thanks

This option does not delete notes from your account. If checked, if will remove notes from the local database for your account, making it smaller and presumably faster. For any of  the items in Tools / Options, you should be able to hover over it with your mouse, and an explanatory tooltip will come up.

For the record, the second option has no effect if the first is not checked.

• Level 5*

This feature has been a godsend for me. My database is over 8GB and 22,000 notes. The database used by Evernote on Windows is horribly inefficient at this size. They introduced this feature to both reduce space needed and make it much faster. I don't know how many of my notes are currentlyl local, but it is just over 1GB in size and I rarely get "not responding" or UI freezes.

The only downside is searching. Searching offline only searches what is on your machine, and when connected, it searches in two stages. Local comes up immediately, and then 5-15 seconds later, all results are shown after the EN server returns the remainder of the results.

This purge only works if "sync on demand" at the top is checked. And I agree - "purge" is a poor choice of words. It does sound like it is deleting stuff.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EdH said:

The only downside is searching.

And why I won't be using this until absolutely necessary. So far so good.

1 hour ago, EdH said:

And I agree - "purge" is a poor choice of words. It does sound like it is deleting stuff.

Not really sure what a better one would be in this context, though; particularly for a shortish Options prompt. I suppose that they could make that one a multi-line prompt The help tooltip explains the feature better, but you have to know (or guess) that that's there. Maybe a rephrasing: "Keep only frequently used notes in the local Evernote database", maybe?

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, jefito said:

And why I won't be using this until absolutely necessary. So far so good.

Not really sure what a better one would be in this context, though; particularly for a shortish Options prompt. I suppose that they could make that one a multi-line prompt The help tooltip explains the feature better, but you have to know (or guess) that that's there. Maybe a rephrasing: "Keep only frequently used notes in the local Evernote database", maybe?

"Clear locally stored content" makes it very clear that it isn't deleting anything. "Purge rarely viewed note content" makes it sound like it is deleting all notes older than "x" days, and the heading it is under doesn't make it any less clear that is what is happening.

"Remove local copy of rarely viewed note content" works too.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, EdH said:

"Clear locally stored content" makes it very clear that it isn't deleting anything. "Purge rarely viewed note content" makes it sound like it is deleting all notes older than "x" days, and the heading it is under doesn't make it any less clear that is what is happening.

"Remove local copy of rarely viewed note content" works too.

Clear seems less aggressive than Remove.  How about "Release local storage for rarely viewed notes"  :)

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, CalS said:

Clear seems less aggressive than Remove.  How about "Release local storage for rarely viewed notes"  :)

I'd prefer:

[  ] Upgrade database to a platform that doesn't require this kind of nonsense on Windows.

6 hours ago, EdH said:

.. My database is over 8GB and 22,000 notes.
.. I don't know how many of my notes are currently local, but it is just over 1GB in size ..

I was unaware that the Windows Client and the Server dB could be different
I assumed they were both in perfect sync

I guess it is the very feature "purge rarely viewed content" that purges the local dB, yet keeps the entire dB on the server ? Correct ?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EdH said:

Upgrade database to a platform that doesn't require this kind of nonsense on Windows.

On the Mac platform; the database only stores metadata (title, notebook, tags...)  
The content is stored externally
My database is 13 MB, but I have over 10,000 folders/files; a folder for each note containing at minimum a html (.enml) file

I can't say which organization is more efficient, but I appreciate the simplicity

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, RgaDawg said:

EN never deletes data automatically. It won't even empty your trash for you. If it gets truly deleted, it is because you deleted it.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, DTLow said:

On the Mac platform; the database only stores metadata (title, notebook, tags...)  
The content is stored externally
My database is 13 MB, but I have over 10,000 folders/files; a folder for each note

I can't say which organization is more efficient

I can.

I have a Surface Pro 4, i5, 16GB of RAM, SSD, Windows 10, 64 bit. With the my full database locally, Evernote frequently locks up with a "not responding" for 15-90 seconds where you cannot do anything but wait. This happens multiple times when just editing one note.

I have a 2015 Macbook with the 1.2GHz processor, 8GB, SSD, High Sierra. Evernote never locks up with my full database locally downloaded. Super smooth operation.

Yet with every conceivable benchmark (except battery life probably), the my Surface Pro 4 is a Porsche 911 compared to the Macbook Prius in every possible way. It really highlights the utter inefficiency of the Evernote Windows client database.

And it isn't something with my machine. I've complained about this since 2011 at least. And i've had Dell Latitudes with HDDs, SSD, and hybrid drives over that time frame. Windows 7 and Windows 10. It has been the same for me for a long long time - my database goes back to 2004 so it has well over a decade of notes accumulated in it. I have reproduced this on a freshly formatted PC with nothing but Windows and Evernote. The EN database just plain sucks past a certain size and/or note count. Not sure which, and not sure where the threshold is, but the struggle is real.

The "sync on demand" greatly mitigates this issue, but it still will stop responding on occasion, but usually for < 10 seconds, and not frequently at all.

1 hour ago, EdH said:

.. And it isn't something with my machine. I've complained about this since 2011 at least. And i've had Dell Latitudes with HDDs, SSD, and hybrid drives over that time frame. Windows 7 and Windows 10...

Agreed. Don't have Macs, but Windoze EN user past 8 years. My current dB is only 600MB, but always there is something. I recently complained about jerky and un-rensponsive text selecting for cut/copy, which is an issue no one if forums have ever heard about, and these issues on very fast Dell Workstation, Dell laptop, high performance gaming laptop. The previous pre-release fixed the selecting issue, but encountered client side encryption issues (quite serious) in the pre-release. Just updated to the current public version. I'm still freaked out about trying to use the encryption feature. I have un-encrypted all of my data for now. Will try it again down the road.

Btw, what's up with the blue lines around all of the note content (Win client).
These started appearing with recent pre-release and current public release.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, EdH said:

I'd prefer:

[  ] Upgrade database to a platform that doesn't require this kind of nonsense on Windows.

Good with me.  But, for whatever reason I have a reasonably large data base (17GB, 35,000 notes) with no slow downs.  Use case I suppose.  Now watch, all he## will break loose.  :wacko:

1 hour ago, CalS said:

.. large data base (17GB, 35,000 notes) ..

Oh Man, you guys are courageous. I don't know that I would ever trust EN with this kind of accumulated data. Although, it is the easiest solution to keeping so much data over other methods. I just have never gained that kind of trust with it.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, RgaDawg said:

Oh Man, you guys are courageous. I don't know that I would ever trust EN with this kind of accumulated data. Although, it is the easiest solution to keeping so much data over other methods. I just have never gained that kind of trust with it.

I decided to go paperless and this is what happened.  It has treated me well thus far.  And I do have backups.  There are larger DBs out there.

Archived