Evernote for Windows 6.8 GA

Chantal Leonard

Idea

[Update 12/13: we've updated the GA build to address an issue with the app icon. We've updated the link in the post below.]

Hi folks - 

We're excited to announce Windows 6.8 GA. You can install it here or by checking for updates. This will be available in the Windows Store after we roll out via the Web.  Fixes for the GA include:

• A fix for an issue where a new note would sometimes open in a minimized state
  • Two fixes for intermittent crashes in the editor 

Feedback welcome on what you'd like to see improved in 6.9. Be on the lookout for our Beta 1 which is just around the corner! 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows team.

---------------------------------------

Release Notes for Windows version 6.8

Note: Version 6.8 is supported in OS versions Windows 7 and up.

Improved

We've made a number of changes to how a note is displayed. Some of the key changes include:

• Better Print results for notes including highlighting, italics and underline and the ability to print to PDF
  • Updated the inline PDF preview experience with easier access to key commands including print and download
  • If you have a touch monitor, you can now pan notes with the swipe of a finger
  • More quickly start a bulleted list using a hyphen. In addition to using the still supported '*'+space shortcut, you can now also use '-'+space shortcut

Fixed

This release has many bug fixes. Some notable fixes include

• A fix where tables clipped from Microsoft Word or Outlook did not appear correctly in Evernote
  • A fix where additional lines are pasted when pasting a line of text from Evernote to other applications
  • A fix for no longer dropping the check box and end line on copy/paste of a to-do item
  • A fix where some reminders are not synced after clicking the sync button
  • A fix to ensure the app if downloaded from the Windows Store respects the Options>Start on Windows Logon option
  • A fix so that selecting the 'New Note' button when in the Business tab with no notebook selected, no longer creates a note in Personal

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, fierylevi said:

I immediately noticed the icon appears to have a "sash" or ribbon across the upper left corner. I can't seem to make out what it is. Does anyone mind sharing if they do know?

I believe that it says "BETA".

Not sure that that a GA release should be waving the BETA flag, though.

Updated to 6.8. Beta sash too, bust most problematic:

• Once again, the upgrade ad icon reappeared in the tool bar, no way to make it disappeared (this on all my devices). I have also the Context feature at the bottom of my notes...
  • It seems that randomly, if I select a underlined word inside a table, ctrl+U or clicking on the Underline icon don't remove the underlining
  • On one of my note, If I select the black coloured background table and reverse it to white, the words inside it remain highlighted in black.
  • Ex Employees
29 minutes ago, BasieBand said:

I have several notes that contain pdf files where the ability to annotate or display as an attachment has been lost with the upgrade to 6.8.  An example is attached. http://www.evernote.com/l/AAyY2usTAoFB3p4Oj88IaI39-ZaRdpN7TnA/

Do you see the options if you right-click within the body of the PDF? With the new PDF viewer, right-clicking the banner at the top of the PDF that displays the PDF filename and page will not give you the PDF options. 

• Ex Employees
3 hours ago, fierylevi said:

Hi!

I immediately noticed the icon appears to have a "sash" or ribbon across the upper left corner. I can't seem to make out what it is. Does anyone mind sharing if they do know?

image.png.eed5ce659b90e1a9b9d7555529675574.png

Thanks for the report. We're working on it. 

• Ex Employees
43 minutes ago, Némo Nobody said:

Once again, the upgrade ad icon reappeared in the tool bar, no way to make it disappeared (this on all my devices). I have also the Context feature at the bottom of my notes...

Thanks for the report. Please try these steps as a workaround:

We're looking into your other reports and will reach out if we're unable to reproduce. Thanks. 

• Level 5*

If you rename a PDF in EN using the context menu (right click in the PDF) the context menu is wrong and unusable from then on.  I reported this in the 6.8.5 beta.  Still exists in this GA.

57 minutes ago, Némo Nobody said:

Updated to 6.8. Beta sash too, bust most problematic:

• Once again, the upgrade ad icon reappeared in the tool bar, no way to make it disappeared (this on all my devices). I have also the Context feature at the bottom of my notes...
  • It seems that randomly, if I select a underlined word inside a table, ctrl+U or clicking on the Underline icon don't remove the underlining
  • On one of my note, If I select the black coloured background table and reverse it to white, the words inside it remain highlighted in black.

For items 2 & 3

I haven't run into item #2 with underline and tables, do you happen to have a problem table there this happens more often and/or a video showing it (I can recommend a light weight recording cool for recording screen issues if needed) - or just steps to reproduce

For #3 - sounds like a problem table (is it the same table with the underline issue) if possible could you share the note that is table is in? 

1 hour ago, Austin G said:

Do you see the options if you right-click within the body of the PDF? With the new PDF viewer, right-clicking the banner at the top of the PDF that displays the PDF filename and page will not give you the PDF options. 

Right-clicking in the body of the PDF works in the vast majority of my notes.  For a small fraction, however,  I only get the options as shown.  http://www.evernote.com/l/AAyY2usTAoFB3p4Oj88IaI39-ZaRdpN7TnA/

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

That being said, random cursor leaps are rarer, and I think printing seems greatly improved.  ?

And sorry for the typo in the note title...  No need to worry about "itaclis".

Word doesn't fare much better.  Probably got to do with mixing italics within a word.

ScreenClip.png.07d446aa6fab7f9da2de021a807f0fe5.png

• Ex Employees
2 hours ago, BasieBand said:

Right-clicking in the body of the PDF works in the vast majority of my notes.  For a small fraction, however,  I only get the options as shown.  http://www.evernote.com/l/AAyY2usTAoFB3p4Oj88IaI39-ZaRdpN7TnA/

Hi. Thanks for the additional info. This issue appears to be isolated to PDFs that contain a period (.) in the title. This is scheduled to be fixed in an upcoming release. Thanks again for the report. 

• Level 5*

This also happens with entirely italic words.

What do you see when you make the attached period italics?

Also, do letters in MS Word also flash with the cursor?

Nope.  EN seems to be telling us that there is an overlap in the characters.

• Level 5*
51 minutes ago, Austin G said:

Hi. Thanks for the additional info. This issue appears to be isolated to PDFs that contain a period (.) in the title. This is scheduled to be fixed in an upcoming release. Thanks again for the report. 

That helps thanks.  Safe to assume this fix will address existing notes with "." in the title?  Have a bunch of old notes with PDFs named Account - yyyy.mm.

Also, if you rename a PDF using the context menu the name in the banner does not change in all instances.

20171212_144037.gif.767cf623baf07849a5d1d89a520da451.gif

1 hour ago, Austin G said:

Thank you.

19 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Feedback welcome on what you'd like to see improved in 6.9. Be on the lookout for our Beta 1 which is just around the corner! 

Awesome, Thanks Team!  Can't wait to try it out

[For  6.9?  Custom styles and coloured highlights? Low impact high value UI tweaks, Ha ha.]

• Level 5*

Just an FYI.  It was taking over 5 seconds for the PDF to display after selecting a note (I timed 4 different notes).  I did a File - Exit and when I reopened EN all was normal.  Clueless as to what I might have done to create the issue.  Again, just an FYI.

• Ex Employees
5 hours ago, CalS said:

That helps thanks.  Safe to assume this fix will address existing notes with "." in the title?  Have a bunch of old notes with PDFs named Account - yyyy.mm.

Also, if you rename a PDF using the context menu the name in the banner does not change in all instances.

20171212_144037.gif.767cf623baf07849a5d1d89a520da451.gif

In this case, moving to a different note, and back to the original should force the banner to update. I've submitted this as well. Thanks for the report.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, togo said:

How can I drag a PDF out of a note, into another software (eg. Outlook)? This doesn't seem to be possible anymore.

I can usually drag pdfs/images to the desktop, then drag from there

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, togo said:

How can I drag a PDF out of a note, into another software (eg. Outlook)? This doesn't seem to be possible anymore.

The new PDF viewer does not have the drag icon of the old one.  Method now, until/if EN adds the feature back, is to click the download icon and save to desktop or wherever and then drag from there. 

ScreenClip.png.cb190e9871ddf44f9234516b6c1b9683.png

The complaint about this was registered in the beta threads preceding this release.  That and the loss of the one click open in your preferred editor.  Both steps backward with the new Google PDF viewer.

3 minutes ago, eric99 said:
  • I can't drag images from the desktop into a table cell, instead it's always positioned below the table. From there I can drag the image into the table.
  • printing of tables containing images gets distorted

Sorry about that, we have several fixes for drag and drop and also printing with tables is better with 6.9 release currently in development 

3 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Sorry about that, we have several fixes for drag and drop and also printing with tables is better with 6.9 release currently in development 

I certainly hope this gets fixed quickly. I've become dependant on drag & drop. Not having this feature will most definitely start me looking for an alternative to Evernote.

On 12/12/2017 at 6:31 PM, Jason Miller said:

For items 2 & 3

I haven't run into item #2 with underline and tables, do you happen to have a problem table there this happens more often and/or a video showing it (I can recommend a light weight recording cool for recording screen issues if needed) - or just steps to reproduce

For #3 - sounds like a problem table (is it the same table with the underline issue) if possible could you share the note that is table is in? 

Item #2 happened on one note but after closing it and reopening it the problem was gone (I was also unable to insert a horizontal line with "---" before closing it like if Evernote wasn't refreshing).

Item #3: sorry not enough systematic I have already deleted the reluctant table.

Both items happened with old tables converted in 6.7. Wasn't able to reproduce them. Next time I will directly produce a video.

• Level 5*
On 12/12/2017 at 9:31 AM, Némo Nobody said:

I have also the Context feature at the bottom of my notes...

You can turn context off by going to Tools - Options - Note and uncheck the Show context box.  Make sure Show advance options is checked.

Having problems reproducing this, but working with a note with an 8x12 table, getting various table glitches.  First it was copying a couple of lines of text would paste over a couple of cells, after a few attempts evernote crashed, and seems to be working fine now after killing any evernote processes and opening it again.  Now it was after deleting a couple of columns that were added from the above failure, I couldn't resize columns.  Closed and re-opened the note, and all the column widths reset to the same width.  I'll update and/or create a separate thread if I can get this to be reproducible.

On ‎13‎-‎12‎-‎2017 at 5:09 PM, CalS said:

The new PDF viewer does not have the drag icon of the old one.  Method now, until/if EN adds the feature back, is to click the download icon and save to desktop or wherever and then drag from there. 

ScreenClip.png.cb190e9871ddf44f9234516b6c1b9683.png

The complaint about this was registered in the beta threads preceding this release.  That and the loss of the one click open in your preferred editor.  Both steps backward with the new Google PDF viewer.

The one click open feature gone is a biggy for me. Any news when that will be added?

6 hours ago, CraigZ said:

Having problems reproducing this, but working with a note with an 8x12 table, getting various table glitches.  First it was copying a couple of lines of text would paste over a couple of cells, after a few attempts evernote crashed, and seems to be working fine now after killing any evernote processes and opening it again.  Now it was after deleting a couple of columns that were added from the above failure, I couldn't resize columns.  Closed and re-opened the note, and all the column widths reset to the same width.  I'll update and/or create a separate thread if I can get this to be reproducible.

Same experience, very unstable release, previous one was much better, wondering why this one was released so early with all these known bugs...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Kiddokay said:

The one click open feature gone is a biggy for me. Any news when that will be added?

Nope.  Maybe EN will comment as to whether this is a fix in the works or not.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Némo Nobody said:

Another bug, and a very crippling one: I can't anymore open encrypted text.

That's a disaster.  As fallback, can you decrypt on the web platform (www.evernote.com)

In case this is isolated to your device,  you could try rebooting, reinstalling

6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

That's a disaster.  As fallback, can you decrypt on the web platform (www.evernote.com)

Wow, I have just tried to decrypt a text in one of my note in the web platform and it result in a rectangular blank space with the words "Encrypted text" above.

13 minutes ago, Némo Nobody said:

CropperCapture[5].Gif

Have you tried right-clicking on the encrypted text block and choosing  "Show Encrypted Text..." from the resulting menu? This what  worked for me. Simply clicking on the encrypted text block or using Ctrl+Enter shortcut key does not work.

2 minutes ago, keisoko said:

Have you tried right-clicking on the encrypted text block and choosing  "Show Encrypted Text..." from the resulting menu? This what  worked for me. Simply clicking on the encrypted text block or using Ctrl+Enter shortcut key does not work.

Right-clicking and choosing "Show encrypted text" result in another frame around the lock block, like in the gif.

Also tried right-clicking and choosing "Show encrypted text" but with "Remember password until I quit Evernote" checked with same result + unable to open the password window since the text is supposed to be already decrypted.

Also tried to remove or simplify formatting without success.

15 hours ago, Némo Nobody said:

CropperCapture[5].Gif

Nasty - do you happen to have such a note you can share for us to test with - I can decrypt fine, but that is a bit unfair, I am running newest Dev code that will be in 6.9 

On 12/13/2017 at 10:25 PM, SteveJW1973 said:

I certainly hope this gets fixed quickly. I've become dependant on drag & drop. Not having this feature will most definitely start me looking for an alternative to Evernote.

The same for me, I hope you may soon fix this in an intermediate release ; this regression completely breaks my workflow...

step 1: enter a search string in the search bar --> as expected, the corresponding note appears in the note editor pane below ( OK)

step 2: click somewhere in the note editor pane to position the cursor for editing (OK as well)

step 3: type a character at that position

Expected result:  the character appears in the text at the cursor position

Actual result: the cursor disappears and no character is added. The editor pane lost focus

Work around: click again in the editor pane, from then on you can enter text

Important: this only occurs if you specify a search string, otherwise the note editor works properly

Sometimes when I drag a pdf into a note, it appears in the context field  (pdf in thumbnail mode).

Deleting the note doesn't remove the pdf from the context field. It stays there for all notes until you restart evernote.

On 15/12/2017 at 6:00 PM, Jason Miller said:

Nasty - do you happen to have such a note you can share for us to test with - I can decrypt fine, but that is a bit unfair, I am running newest Dev code that will be in 6.9 

I've tried to send the note by opening a ticket but the format isn't supported. How can I share a note with the support?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Némo Nobody said:

I've tried to send the note by opening a ticket but the format isn't supported. How can I share a note with the support?

You would export your ticket in .enex format

When opening a support ticket, you receive an email.  You can reply to the email, attaching the .enex file
You can also send a private message to @Jason Miller.  Just hover your mouse pointer over his picture and you'll see a mail icon

• Level 5*
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:57 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Two issues for users with "Sync on Demand" needs to be addressed:

1. Searching. When searching, it searches in two stages:
    1. Local content - virtually instantly
    2. unsync'ed content - 5-15 seconds at least to return results
      1. There is NO UI warning on what is going on. Even using Sync On Demand for over a year, I forget to wait and after the initial return of results that doesn't return what I want, I start changing search terms until I remember to wait. There needs to be two UI modifications.
        1. "Searching online content, please wait" or something to at effect, with a spinning circle, progressive dots, or the Millenium Falcon
        2. A warning if you are offline (airplane) that online content wasn't returned.
  2. When merging notes, it must either:
    1. download all notes in the merge operation first or
    2. warn you that all notes aren't downloaded
      1. the current merge operation will only merge headers of non-sync'd notes and delete the note body. If you catch it immediately, you can delete the merged note and restore the old notes from the trash. If you do not catch it you will permanently lose data!
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, EdH said:

the current merge operation will only merge headers of non-sync'd notes and delete the note body. If you catch it immediately, you can delete the merged note and restore the old notes from the trash. If you do not catch it you will permanently lose data!

OUCH!

• Almost all inserted pictures disappear randomly from my notes.
  • Page lines ('rules') randomly decide to not show up sometimes, or only if I insert 2 lines before them.
  • Font sizes throughout the whole note randomly undo to default after hours of work.
  • Countless bugs related to bullet lists
  • Images randomly decide to not want to annotate. I press the annotate icon and nothing happens.
  • Images also reset to their original size after I do annotate them, or do anything to them really.
  • Let me repeat the first one because I've lost hours of work due to this: almost all inserted pictures are disappearing randomly from my notes.

Some of these have been present for a long while, but the most damaging appeared only since the latest update (namely 1, 2 and 5).

Nothing much to say but this is unacceptable.

(On another note, if anyone knows how to downgrade to the previous version that would be great.)

20 minutes ago, louay.md said:
  • Page lines ('rules') randomly decide to not show up sometimes, or only if I insert 2 lines before them.
  • Font sizes throughout the whole note randomly undo to default after hours of work.
  • Images randomly decide to not want to annotate. I press the annotate icon and nothing happens.
  • Images also reset to their original size after I do annotate them, or do anything to them really.
  • Let me repeat the first one because I've lost hours of work due to this: almost all inserted pictures are disappearing randomly from my notes.

Some of these have been present for a long while, but the most damaging appeared only since the latest update (namely 1, 2 and 5).

(On another note, if anyone knows how to downgrade to the previous version that would be great.)

Items #2 and #5 for me too. I hope to not encounter the random disappearing of pictures.

From now on even for GA releases I will wait for user feedbacks before updating

57 minutes ago, Némo Nobody said:

Items #2 and #5 for me too. I hope to not encounter the random disappearing of pictures.

From now on even for GA releases I will wait for user feedbacks before updating

The randomly disappearing pictures occurs for me if I rotate one. I reported this in the beta release but not fixed in this GA release.

8 minutes ago, ian_marson said:

The randomly disappearing pictures occurs for me if I rotate one. I reported this in the beta release but not fixed in this GA release.

Do you have particular note this is happening on?  (where you able to recover the image using history?)

On 12/17/2017 at 10:35 AM, DTLow said:

You would export your ticket in .enex format

When opening a support ticket, you receive an email.  You can reply to the email, attaching the .enex file
You can also send a private message to @Jason Miller.  Just hover your mouse pointer over his picture and you'll see a mail icon

You can export the note and then share via direct message

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, louay.md said:

On another note, if anyone knows how to downgrade to the previous version that would be great.)

Completely remove Evernote from your device; app, data, ...

Install the app, login and the database will be rebuilt from the servers.  Warning; the rebuild doesn't include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes

• To obtain a specific version, check the release posts.  As per the first post in this discussion, a link is included to download the app
  • You can sometimes get away without reinstalling the database.
2 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Do you have particular note this is happening on?  (where you able to recover the image using history?)

Been trying to reproduce this, it happens to any note when I drop and drag an image into it, I then rotate the image and it disappears. If I add the image using the "add attachment" option then it doesn't disappear. I can retrieve a lost image from note history.

Two issues/bugs.

1. Sync works normally (manual mode) but when triggered by copying the internal link of a note or by creating a table of content, the sync bar window appears and progression is terribly slow. Have to cancel, wait about ten seconds for Evernote to responds after the closing of the sync bar window, then the sync symbol rotate and syncing performs normally.
  2. Various annoying behaviors with boxes, e.g.: no tabulation, no selection... Maybe similar to the "countless bugs related to bullet lists"  mentionned by @louay.md
9 hours ago, louay.md said:

UPDATE:

1. Found another bug: attachments are blurry.

image.png.eb4fb3079163aed3d6805cd4ae0383ef.png

1. Also, some more info on the disappearing rules bug:
  • When copying the note from Evernote to something else (e.g. Microsoft Word), all the rules appear normally...while in Evernote it either skips every other rule or just makes them disappear in some other wacky way. Here's an example of an Evernote note with multiple rules in succession in Evernote vs. in Word:

image.thumb.png.ed9046ddf6ee1043ac6f7d62a08e0c08.png vs. image.png.1802b6230d908e8475fa552850d0f8cb.png

As you can see, there are half as many rules showing in Evernote as there actually should be.

• Zooming in & out (Ctrl +/-) randomly makes some rules appear and some disappear (no zoom vs. zoom in vs. zoom out):

image.thumb.png.bb9451631bf1ccb4a4ba844a5b44852b.png image.thumb.png.0fb4b64675fb77b946a05120786f2c1e.pngimage.thumb.png.cb5392670f97767699156f8526c146c8.png

• Another example of something completely random breaking rules - removing a picture can cause all the rules below it to disappear (tried it with the example note above but I've reached the photo upload limit).

I do hope I'm at the right place to report all this instead of wasting more of my time and I truly hope it helps the Evernote team to pinpoint the problem.

UPDATE #2:

I downgraded to 6.7.5 and all page lines magically reappeared, attachments look fine again, annotation works again, and one other bug in the latest version I forgot to add: manual Spell Check (F7) is available again after disappearing for no reason in 6.8.7.

Unless I'm missing something big, it's unclear to me what is better about the new PDF viewer. It seems to be inferior to the previous viewer and is very odd having a browser-style PDF viewer embedded in the note view. How would we go about requesting a change back to the previous viewer?

10 hours ago, cisco10 said:

Unless I'm missing something big, it's unclear to me what is better about the new PDF viewer. It seems to be inferior to the previous viewer and is very odd having a browser-style PDF viewer embedded in the note view. How would we go about requesting a change back to the previous viewer?

I second that, it seems out of place. You can downgrade like I did until it gets changed.

On 12/18/2017 at 2:07 PM, ian_marson said:

Been trying to reproduce this, it happens to any note when I drop and drag an image into it, I then rotate the image and it disappears. If I add the image using the "add attachment" option then it doesn't disappear. I can retrieve a lost image from note history.

I am glad you can at least recover the image.  I haven't encountered hits the new builds I am testing, so at least it doesn't look like a problem in 6.9 (and what should be beta 2 code) - though that doesn't help in the short term. 

On 20/12/2017 at 8:53 PM, Jason Miller said:

I am glad you can at least recover the image.  I haven't encountered hits the new builds I am testing, so at least it doesn't look like a problem in 6.9 (and what should be beta 2 code) - though that doesn't help in the short term. 

Tried some other options. If I lose an image then go to the web client the image is still intact in the note which means the image is presumably there but not visible in the note on the windows client. So I tried completely exiting Evernote windows then opened it again and the image reappeared in the note.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, mavt88 said:

Please, whats is "GA"?

The software is released for   General Availability; the testing cycle stages have been completed  

This compares to software releases that are at the Alpha or Beta stages in the testing cycle

There is documentation at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

5 hours ago, DTLow said:

The software is released for   General Availability; the testing cycle stages have been completed  

This compares to software releases that are at the Alpha or Beta stages in the testing cycle

There is documentation at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

I hate to be cynical here, but it seems that if you read these forums or try the so called GA releases, they are just betas released to general public. The bugs are either still there, or new ones are introduced that break things that used to work etc. I don't find that funny. I'm still using old version of Evernote 6.5.4. and carefully reading forums here, but it does not seems I am safe to upgrade anytime soon.... its really bad. GA might mean General Availability, but it does not mean safe for work. At least when it comes to Evernote team.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, Krunoslav said:

The bugs are either still there

Confirmed; Evernote's GA release does not mean all bugs are fixed

The testing stages identify the bugs and the development work is prioritized.

Ideally we know what to expect when the GA version is released, and can decide to upgrade or not.

5 hours ago, DTLow said:

Confirmed; Evernote's GA release does not mean all bugs are fixed

The testing stages identify the bugs and the development work is prioritized.

Ideally we know what to expect when the GA version is released, and can decide to upgrade or not.

Yes. However when you put some of the numbers in context its really disgraceful.... you have to admit.

The Evernote web service launched into open beta on June 24, 2008, 200 million users worldwide. That is over a decade later, decade later.... and we still can't get a working word editor in a note taking application. Application that works with words. That is its core functionality. That's crazy. 

Its riddled with bugs, even things that used to work, stop working or have weird bugs. Reported bugs are not all fixed and we are greeted with new features that either broke what used to work or are things no one asked for, like that weird new note button placement. As evident by reading the forums or testing yourself. We are still missing word editor features that virtually every other word application in existence had for probably as long as Evernote has been around. And that is just a tip of the iceberg. You have been around long enough in these forums to remember all the leadership bizarre decision, tight lip development team and security concerns.

If I didn't naively invested 17, 000 plus notes into this app, I would be crazy to stay. Things are not getting any better. Its been probably six months now since v6.5.4 and I still don't dare to upgrade. I mean who is crazy here!?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Krunoslav said:

However when you put some of the numbers in context its really disgraceful.... you have to admit.

My response was to the question asking the meaning of "GA"

I use Evernote as my digital filing cabinet
I don't consider the Evernote editor a replacement for a word processing app.  
It's fine for basic notes; I use dedicated apps when I need extended features.  
Word/Pages for word processing, Excel/Numbers for spreadsheets, ...

>>If I didn't naively invested 17, 000 plus notes into this app, I would be crazy to stay.

It's very easy to export your data from Evernote.  
That's one of the top reasons I use this service;  I don't feel I'm locked in.

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

My response was to the question asking the meaning of "GA"

I use Evernote as my digital filing cabinet

I don't consider the Evernote editor a replacement for a word processing app.  It's fine for basic notes; I use dedicated apps when I need extended features.  Word/Pages for word processing, Excel/Numbers for spreadsheets, ...

>>If I didn't naively invested 17, 000 plus notes into this app, I would be crazy to stay.

It's very easy to export your data from Evernote.  That's one of the top reasons I use this service;  I don't feel I'm locked in.

Yes, I agree, its not a replacement for word processing on a large scale, but things like highlighting and formatting tools, H1, H2, styles, etc. Basic stuff that it should have. On top of that, as you can see in these forums people have weird issues with font size not matching when using bullet points, as well as copy paste issues. These are basics. There should be no excuses for that. Basic table editing as well, which they try to add with new releases, but its still buggy as hell.

You said "It's very easy to export your data from Evernote." I don't see how that is possible and still maintain the structure, with images and text intact. Unless you know something I don't. If so do tell, because I have not found anything I can use yet. Mind you, I'm not using only text. Its a combination of text, images, fonts, highlighted elements etc.  

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Krunoslav said:

You said "It's very easy to export your data from Evernote." I don't see how that is possible and still maintain the structure, with images and text intact. Unless you know something I don't. If so do tell, 

I use the export to html feature on my Mac
The note content is exported as an html file.
Attachments are exported unchanged in the stored format.  If I stored an image in jpg format, I get a jpg file

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I use the export to html feature on my Mac
The note content is exported as an html file.
Attachments are exported unchanged in the stored format.  If I stored an image in jpg format, I get a jpg file

Yes, but that is not a replacement for the edit ability of note taking app such as Evernote. Its a backup feature at best. I am aware of that, but I need to continue to work on the files/notes, which means that it has to be hosted in a note taking app such as Evernote, not as static HTML file. Its a good way to backup notes maybe, but its not a way to replace functionality of Evernote with something better. OneNote would be a possibility and I'm using that as well, but their Evernote2OneNote feature is not that good, need lot of polish. Anything more complex does not translate well.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Krunoslav said:

I need to continue to work on the files/notes, which means that it has to be hosted in a note taking app such as Evernote, not as static HTML file.

I agree; it's not much fun editing at the html level.  I can get by with simple changes, but I think I'd possibly be importing into Word

@Krunoslav

Major improvements were promised or given as excuse for putting up charges to a substantial degree. 

As the honourable @DTLow tells each and everyone what his expectations of the Evernote editor amount to and what another Guru member very recently  had to say re an ongoing issue with italics formatting and its wayward behaviour  "'italics, weird stuff, never used it, cannot think of any application"  I see attitudes I cannot share, nor ever reconcile with.  Evernote will not see another cent from me again yet I will retain my notes, simply run as free account. Practically all my new stuff is done in the other application and as I pay for Office365 anyway I use the full fledged version. 

Just to make it clear how Evernote presents itself on their German site, just read how much emphasis is put on note creation  https://evernote.com/intl/de/  

"Mit Evernote kannst du Notizen jederzeit und überall erstellen, organisieren und teilen. Dank der Synchronisierung hast du deine Ideen so immer in Griffweite"

Evernote's description is quite similar to that by M$ (who opted for more formal wording, still the done way to approach customers). 

https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/store/p/onenote/9wzdncrfhvjl 

Evernote may make real efforts, but so far it has not paid off. Regardless of what build  released, not a single one was up to scratch.

If enough paying customers terminated their subscription Evernote might finally adopt a more respectful approach towards  their customers. 

Perhaps you should also consider a quiet retreat, because once you export a note in the pdf format MS word  can convert really very well to text and once tidied up transfer to the other note software is easy, reliable, above all free from unpleasant surprises when printed etc, apart from formatting scope unknown in Evernote.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

Perhaps you should also consider a quiet retreat, because once you export a note in the pdf format MS word  can convert really very well to text

I like using the Word editor; not sure about the EN>pdf>Word path compared to EN>html>Word

Can you share on the method for export to pdf; Evernote's export only offers .html and .enex formats so I suspect we need to use a third party application

edit; I found two export-to-pdf services  ExportNote and CloudHQ 

14 hours ago, DTLow said:

I like using the Word editor; not sure about the EN>pdf>Word path compared to EN>html>Word

Can you share on the method for export to pdf; Evernote's export only offers .html and .enex formats so I suspect we need to use a third party application

Saving to pdf is included in Evernote for Win (saving to and exporting to pdf has the same meaning, but because saving  involves the use of a filter filter, it is often called exporting).

Contrary to the html format,pdf is a genuine document format which includes everything in one file. If you prefer to go the html way then go ahead. 

If Evernote got round to exporting (aka saving) to the word format,dissatisfaction with the status of the editor might ease,thus giving Evernote the chance to radically redesign the built-in editor. Patching the current editor did not work out, too much time and effort wasted with marginal gains ,however at the price of on-going and increasing dissatisfaction. 

Nothing is ever perfect,but listening to customer wishes usually help both sides. Not a single soul wanted that new button and yet somebody gave the go-ahead.Notions of people who live in an ivory tower.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, DTLow said:

In the Windows client's main menu: File / Print to PDF...

• Level 5*

34 minutes ago, JohnLongney said:

If Evernote got round to exporting (aka saving) to the word format,dissatisfaction with the status of the editor might ease,thus giving Evernote the chance to radically redesign the built-in editor. Patching the current editor did not work out, too much time and effort wasted with marginal gains ,however at the price of on-going and increasing dissatisfaction. 

Not necessary: if you export a note to HTML (which you can do with the Windows client, at least), then Word can read it. Regardless, I don't see how exporting to Word format gives Evernote the chance to do anything with respect to the design of their editor. The Evernote format will still remain as it is (ENML), and they still need to be able to edit it. Ability to export doesn't magically buy you new editing capabilities; it's just writing to a different format. BTW, they didn't just "patch their current editor", they switched to using a common editor component that should -- in theory -- be usable across all of their platforms (https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/09/22/the-future-of-writing-in-evernote/, https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/88637-the-evernote-editor/#comment-378812).  It's not been easy, nor perfect, and took a fair bit of time, but that already is the "radical redesign" you suggest. 

Oh, and radical redesigns are not foolproof either; in fact, they can be downright dangerous (e.g., https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/https://vibratingmelon.com/2011/06/10/why-you-should-almost-never-rewrite-code-a-graphical-guide/, etc.). But hey, it's easy to be glib about someone else's code base that you've actually never seen.

18 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

@Krunoslav

Major improvements were promised or given as excuse for putting up charges to a substantial degree. 

As the honourable @DTLow tells each and everyone what his expectations of the Evernote editor amount to and what another Guru member very recently  had to say re an ongoing issue with italics formatting and its wayward behaviour  "'italics, weird stuff, never used it, cannot think of any application"  I see attitudes I cannot share, nor ever reconcile with.  Evernote will not see another cent from me again yet I will retain my notes, simply run as free account. Practically all my new stuff is done in the other application and as I pay for Office365 anyway I use the full fledged version. 

Just to make it clear how Evernote presents itself on their German site, just read how much emphasis is put on note creation  https://evernote.com/intl/de/  

"Mit Evernote kannst du Notizen jederzeit und überall erstellen, organisieren und teilen. Dank der Synchronisierung hast du deine Ideen so immer in Griffweite"

Evernote's description is quite similar to that by M$ (who opted for more formal wording, still the done way to approach customers). 

https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/store/p/onenote/9wzdncrfhvjl 

Evernote may make real efforts, but so far it has not paid off. Regardless of what build  released, not a single one was up to scratch.

If enough paying customers terminated their subscription Evernote might finally adopt a more respectful approach towards  their customers. 

Perhaps you should also consider a quiet retreat, because once you export a note in the pdf format MS word  can convert really very well to text and once tidied up transfer to the other note software is easy, reliable, above all free from unpleasant surprises when printed etc, apart from formatting scope unknown in Evernote.

Yes, indeed. There were promises but not much has happened, or what did, it was really badly implemented and full of bugs. Such as changes to the main editor. I am on the lookout for alternatives, but sadly Evernote still offers some of the best web capture tool (webclipper) which is important in the researcher. Other than that, the list of reasons to stay are only linked to the amount of time and efforts I invested in notes.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

Regardless, I don't see how exporting to Word format gives Evernote the chance to do anything with respect to the design of their editor.

My motive is that I can only go so far with the Evernote editor/format.  
For extended features, I convert to a word processing format and add the document as a note attachment.  
Evernote works well with office/iwork documents, image files, PDFs, ...

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, DTLow said:

My motive is that I can only go so far with the Evernote editor/format.  
For extended features, I convert to a word processing format and add the document as a note attachment.  
Evernote works well with office/iwork documents, image files, PDFs, ...

Of course. My point was that even if Evernote implemented a way to export directly to Word format, then that doesn't automatically mean that the editor component is thereby magically enhanced, which is what @JohnLongneyseemed to be implying. And none of this is to say that Evernote shouldn't implement more advanced word-processing features like pre-defined  and user-defined styles, more highlighting colors, etc., etc. These features would be welcome. It's just that the editor is independent of export facilities. Evernote still needs to support unknown formats as attachments, like many other applications do.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jefito said:

And none of this is to say that Evernote shouldn't implement more advanced word-processing features like pre-defined  and user-defined styles, more highlighting colors, etc., etc. These features would be welcome.

Agreed, features are welcome; but in the end, we are still limited by the .enml/html format  8349205B-B1B2-4DA8-8ED9-571EF32A45E6.jpeg.b4c93caa6087d021536ab50169398aa1.jpeg

Since the update, every time I insert a logo, JPG file into my notes, (ALT F + F which is attach files) it does not insert it where my cursor is.

I use this option a lot in my notes and it is frustrating at this time. Not to mention the delay before I can edit the note. It almost freezes for 2 minutes before I see the icon I inserted.

I don't know how I feel about the new PDF interface, I was happy with how a PDF looked within the note. It felt like it was part of the note and now it kind of feels like a separate entity. Obviously I'll know more as I use it more.

@jefito

pardon me, I never wrote that Evernote should stick to the feature-lacking, bug-ridden editor, regardless of whether it is redesign Mk I or XL.

All I tried to do was to point to one way of overcoming the situation right now. Any workaround period with Word or any other editor must be regarded as grace period given to Evernote.
I  would suggest  Evernote take a good look at the Office 365 OneNote features and graphic interface. Nothing to stop Evernote to do better still, but right now Evernote is 7 or 8 years behind that editor. (I'm going by the efforts/results of the past 15 months).

Everyone must be aware that the present software base must have limitations that Evernote cannot overcome. 

Evernote though does quite well with storage of documents created with other software. Anything created within Evernote can be nightmare to make something decent of.

So, with due respect, for the money they charge, the editor has to be at par with others. How they do it is not my worry.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, JohnLongney said:

Evernote though does quite well with storage of documents created with other software.

I agree with this; Evernote can store files of any format, and works well with office/iwork documents, images, pdfs, text files

>>the editor has to be at par with others

I don't agree with this.  Evernote's editor is fine for basic notes, other editors are more suited to specific requirements; word processing, spreadsheets, code syntax, ....

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

pardon me, I never wrote that Evernote should stick to the feature-lacking, bug-ridden editor, regardless of whether it is redesign Mk I or XL.

And I never said that you did.

All I tried to do was to point to one way of overcoming the situation right now. Any workaround period with Word or any other editor must be regarded as grace period given to Evernote.

It's a puzzle to me how implementing export to Word format has any effect whatsoever on the editing capabilities of Evernote.

I  would suggest  Evernote take a good look at the Office 365 OneNote features and graphic interface. Nothing to stop Evernote to do better still, but right now Evernote is 7 or 8 years behind that editor. (I'm going by the efforts/results of the past 15 months).

I don't think that anyone disputes that OneNote's editing capabilities are beyond what Evernote offers (or even that Evernote should fix the bugs in its editor). 

Everyone must be aware that the present software base must have limitations that Evernote cannot overcome. 

How do you draw that conclusion?

Evernote though does quite well with storage of documents created with other software. Anything created within Evernote can be nightmare to make something decent of.

But for many of us, we don't need to export Evernote notes to other formats often, if at all. I'm generally happy to live in the world of Evernote. Even so, you can export to PDF and HTML, and that may be enough for some users. Whether it is or not is the choice we all need to make for ourselves.

So, with due respect, for the money they charge, the editor has to be at par with others. How they do it is not my worry.

Aside from the fact that at least part of what you're paying for is the Evernote service, my feeling is that it needs to be good enough for some decent percentage of  users. It doesn't need to match up with MS Word (an extremely mature product that's been available for over 30 years, since the time of DOS). That's not to say that Evernote couldn't be better, or that improvements wouldn't be welcome. My point is that a (or another) complete redesign may not be the panacea that some people are looking for.

On ‎15‎-‎12‎-‎2017 at 12:58 AM, CalS said:

Nope.  Maybe EN will comment as to whether this is a fix in the works or not.

Workaround for me now is using the Windows Menu key to open up the Right Click menu and then hit O. Not as quick as double click to open but if you use it a lot you get used to it.

@jefito

I am not going to reply in detail, but 2 points I'll pick up. 

# 1 Subscription rates were raised on the grounds of financing improvements. Now, if you don't consider that 15 - 18 months is time enough for a team of good programmers to redevelop an editor then I do not know what planet you live on. 

As I'm loathe to think that the whole Evernote team is composed of staff barely learned on the job,  nobody with any experience and formal training,   I am left with just one conclusion which is that the whole framework, the code, is simply not suitable for those  improvements that even Evernote thought necessary. 

In this world of displaying and exchanging digital documents, presentations and whatever else,  style and appearance are more important than ever. Time spent on a job, whatever nature, is a premium cost factor. So nobody can afford to fiddle with basic stuff for hours on end. I have a webclip (article) of a page on automatic replies of absence by MS Outlook which I meant to pass on to a friend of mine, augmented with a few annotations. Suffice to say that the Evernote clip showed the headline in font wf_segoe-ui_light,  size 158.  Clipped through Chrome, latest build. I can assure you that display of webpage on monitor and clipped note in EN did not relate at all. I copied the heading from the webpage and pasted into Word, and got same font,  size 55. So much for staying within Evernote.

# 2 Service, as part of the charge.  OK, but what kind of service?  No message of upcoming subscription renewal, no helpfiles to download,  support chat hours geared to US time, notebook numbers limited, each note limited to 200 MB, search cumbersome with varying results. Basically, so it seems to me, I pay for the use of basic software, use of webspace with some version control, but other than that?  Windows browser web service is dreadful, Android version, forget it. Pen support, non-existent. 

Best Wishes to All Elephant Lovers for 2018

@jefito

I am not going to reply in detail, but 2 points I'll pick up. 

# 1 Subscription rates were raised on the grounds of financing improvements. Now, if you don't consider that 15 - 18 months is time enough for a team of good programmers to redevelop an editor then I do not know what planet you live on. 

As I'm loathe to think that the whole Evernote team is composed of staff barely learned on the job,  nobody with any experience and formal training,   I am left with just one conclusion which is that the whole framework, the code, is simply not suitable for those  improvements that even Evernote thought necessary. 

In this world of displaying and exchanging digital documents, presentations and whatever else,  style and appearance are more important than ever. Time spent on a job, whatever nature, is a premium cost factor. So nobody can afford to fiddle with basic stuff for hours on end. I have a webclip (article) of a page on automatic replies of absence by MS Outlook which I meant to pass on to a friend of mine, augmented with a few annotations. Suffice to say that the Evernote clip showed the headline in font wf_segoe-ui_light,  size 158.  Clipped through Chrome, latest build. I can assure you that display of webpage on monitor and clipped note in EN did not relate at all. I copied the heading from the webpage and pasted into Word, and got same font,  size 55. So much for staying within Evernote.

# 2 Service, as part of the charge.  OK, but what kind of service?  No message of upcoming subscription renewal, no helpfiles to download,  support chat hours geared to US time, notebook numbers limited, each note limited to 200 MB, search cumbersome with varying results. Basically, so it seems to me, I pay for the use of basic software, use of webspace with some version control, but other than that?  Windows browser web service is dreadful, Android version, forget it. Pen support, non-existent. 

Best Wishes to All Elephant Lovers for 2018

Couldn't agree more. I have been pointing this out for a while, no reply off course from the actual team or people responsible. Its like howling to the moon. Frustrating.

9 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

@jefito

Now, if you don't consider that 15 - 18 months is time enough for a team of good programmers to redevelop an editor then I do not know what planet you live on. 

I have the impression that Evernote  constantly redesigns its editor from scratch (probably by different developers) and this without detailed requirements  or user manuals describing the current behaviour. This  leads to a lot of regression and broken workflows. By always starting from scratch it never gets further than the previous edition.

I also think that there are very few developers  for evernote for windows, I guess one or two programmers at most who actually write the software.

That being said, if it would be that easy as you suggest, why are there no real competing products after 10 years? Many have tried  it without much success, look for instance at Synology's Note Station which was very promising a couple of years ago. It still can't compete with evernote's features and is unreliable...

Archived