Emailing a copy of Local Notes from Evernote

Hi,

I used to be able to share Local Notes via email until updating to Evernote for Mac 6.13.1.

I used to right click on the note in column/list of snippets, which brought up the contextual menu.

I then selected Sharing, More Sharing and Email a Copy, which brought up a mail window and allowed me to send a copy of the Local Note.

I did this countless times despite the note being a Local Note.

When seeking help on this, I was told that this function never existed.    Really? Was it some kind of fluke in my case? Am I the only person who was able to do this? I have had Local Notes that have remained private for almost a year, and yet I used to email myself and a few others copies of the Local notes each time I updated them.

I would be glad to hear of other people's experiences with this

• Level 5*

Hi.  Not a Mac user,  but if I go to Share > Send a Copy (of a Local Notebook note) in Evernote Windows Desktop 6.8.5 Beta I get a blank email form. Hit Send and I get a copy note by email.  It does work,  but the blank form is not reassuring...

• Level 5*
On 2017-12-07 at 4:09 PM, evernoteforumQ said:

I used to be able to share Local Notes via email until updating to Evernote for Mac 6.13.1.

The issue is that on Evernote/Mac, the  Share Menu is not available for Local Notes

We haven't heard anything back on this.  
In the meantime, we can still copy/paste into a mail message.  I actually prefer to use my own mail client

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, evernoteforumQ said:

was able to use the More Sharing > Email a Copy options in the menu for Local Notes on previous versions of Evernote for Mac.

Were you able to do this on previous versions, as I was?

3 hours ago, evernoteforumQ said:

Do you mean you contacted Evernote to ask why the Share Menu became unavailable for Local Notes?

Sorry, I never did much with using Local Notebooks or emailing notes; I don't recall the process in previous versions.  You could downgrade to test it out

I do know the email function is run on the Evernote servers; Local Notebooks would not be accessible.

I posted the question in the release discussion

Thanks for the reply DTLow,

Yes I was told that I should not have been able to do that, but I was able to, and I have many copies of different edits of the same Local Notebook note in my mail account to prove it. I guess my Local Notebooks must have been connected to the server temporarily (when I hit send email the sync sign rotated). Whether this was a fluke or a feature, I don't know until more people share their experiences. I thought about doing a downgrade but I have about 5000 local notes and I don't want the hassle. Also, if I were to downgrade, are previous versions of Evernote more vulnerable in terms of cyber security?

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, evernoteforumQ said:

Also, if I were to downgrade, are previous versions of Evernote more vulnerable in terms of cyber security?

I don't see any security impact to downgrading.  I use it as a tool to cherry pick on features or unworkable bugs

• 1 month later...

I used to email local notes in previous versions as well. I was disappointed and frustrated to see it unavailable under the consolidated sharing option in GA version 6.13.3. So you'd have to downgrade before that version to get it back.

• 5 weeks later...

BTW, I just noticed that Evernote have made it harder to create Local Notebooks in the first place (you have to hold down Alt on a Mac before clicking on the File menu, if you want to see the option Create Local Notebook).  It really seems like they don't want us to use Local Notebooks. One user said this was to avoid the risk of notes getting lost when the database gets reloaded. 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/108584-cant-create-local-notebook/

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, evernoteforumQ said:

It really seems like they don't want us to use Local Notebooks. One user said this was to avoid the risk of notes getting lost when the database gets reloaded. 

There's one of the issues with using Local Notebooks.  We have to implement our own backups to recover lost or corrupted data.

Archived