Jump to content
  • 0

Undo or revert changes is severely lacking


Teemu Helenius

Idea

I just accidentally replaced a large portion of text with a random image. In panic, I ran to my computer, wishing to copy the note in question to the clipboard before it syncs. I didn't make it, it immediately synced while I was opening the note. Now for the game-changer: there's no way to revert the changes. On the Mac app, I can select undo but it does nothing (can't undo a sync I guess). On the iPhone, I just found out about a "shake to undo" feature (WTF, how am I supposed to know this!), but it does nothing in this case. The edit is permanent. Note history is a premium feature, so no help there.

This finally made me decide on abandoning Evernote. I've been annoyed by the clunky interface and general slowness for a long time, but if something so simple as reverting latest changes requires a monthly fee, I'm out. I'm going back to Apple's own note app, which, even though limited in its features, at least is a safe place to store important information.

At least give the option to revert to the last version in the note history for free, for goodness sakes. Leave the full history as a premium option. As it is, you're just keeping people's personal information hostage.

Link to post

6 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Teemu Helenius said:

The edit is permanent. Note history is a premium feature, so no help there.

My process is to restore lost content from backups.
I have personal backups and as you noted Evernote has a Note History backup feature.
And yes, access to the Note History backup data is a paid feature, but you can subscribe for a single month

As per @CalS, I don't feel my data is being held hostage.  Exporting our data is an Evernote feature available to all accounts, and what I use for my backups

 

Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Teemu Helenius said:

As it is, you're just keeping people's personal information hostage.

Seems a bit harsh, you can export your data whenever you want.  

Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

My process is to restore lost content from backups.
I have personal backups and as you noted Evernote has a Note History backup feature.
And yes, access to the Note History backup data is a paid feature, but you can subscribe for a single month

 

There is no personal backup in this case. At least for me, backups are periodical, and notes are something that is constantly changing throughout the day. Personal backups can't always keep up with something that changes so rapidly.

Regarding Note History, the free month is probably a one-shot offer, yes? So I can't keep subscribing and unsubscribing every time something like this happens. Not a long term solution, therefore.

Link to post
  • 0
15 minutes ago, CalS said:

Seems a bit harsh, you can export your data whenever you want.  

Sorry for my choice of words, but that's what it feels like. My information is not safe and freely available for me. Content created and owned by me is locked behind a paywall whenever it has been overwritten for some reason, deliberately or not. I'd be willing to compromise and accept limiting free access to the backups to only the most recent backup, but as it is, I'm too worried about losing something important to continue using Evernote.

Obviously, I cannot be expected to export every single note after making changes, just to keep a backup!

Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Teemu Helenius said:

There is no personal backup in this case. At least for me, backups are periodical, and notes are something that is constantly changing throughout the day. Personal backups can't always keep up with something that changes so rapidly.

I run a weekly full backup and daily incremental backups.  
Evernote's Note History backup runs more frequently.  
I also have Mac TimeMachine backups (hourly).

>>Regarding Note History, the free month is probably a one-shot offer, yes?

I didn't intend to mislead you on this.  Access to the Note History feature is not free.  When you need it, you can subscribe for a single month

 

Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Teemu Helenius said:

Sorry for my choice of words, but that's what it feels like. My information is not safe and freely available for me. Content created and owned by me is locked behind a paywall whenever it has been overwritten for some reason, deliberately or not. I'd be willing to compromise and accept limiting free access to the backups to only the most recent backup, but as it is, I'm too worried about losing something important to continue using Evernote.

Obviously, I cannot be expected to export every single note after making changes, just to keep a backup!

Evernote's proposition is reasonably clear on their subscription model, free is what it is and other "goodies" are added in plus, premium and business.  The content is lost even with premium if you hose a note and don't use Ctrl-Z or shake (or undo doesn't work for some reason) in between history snapshots.  Not every edit causes a history version to be created.  I haven't lost any important content in my 8 years of EN use.  YMMV

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...