Jump to content
  • 138
ericwicklund

Please bring back GRID VIEW for notebooks

Idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0
On 9/25/2017 at 8:27 AM, DTLow said:

  I’m sure Evernote has taken note of it and included it it prioritization for future development

Nope :(

Screen-Shot-2017-10-06-at-5_26.10-PM.jpg.266484835cfaabcf980385f8b595bd81.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
12 hours ago, sublime said:

Nope :(

Screen-Shot-2017-10-06-at-5_26.10-PM.jpg.266484835cfaabcf980385f8b595bd81.jpg

 

This is really disappointing. It's making me think seriously about moving to Microsoft OneNote, where visual grid notebooks are not only possible, but you can choose the color of the notebook cover as well.

Maybe if more of us made noise about leaving -- especially the paying users -- there would be more openness to their responses.

Not happy!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 2
4 minutes ago, jcebersole said:

This is really disappointing. It's making me think seriously about moving to Microsoft OneNote, where visual grid notebooks are not only possible, but you can choose the color of the notebook cover as well.

Maybe if more of us made noise about leaving -- especially the paying users -- there would be more openness to their responses.

Not happy!

Thanks for that-- your comment inspired me to look into OneNote. This article is pretty convincing, even though the author chose to stay with Evernote for the time being. OneNote appears to offer all the key functionality of EN with the added very cool feature of converting handwriting to text. And yes, customizable grid notebooks. 

https://michaelhyatt.com/evernote-alternatives.html

The only real drawback I see is a problem with importing from EN, but It might be worth some extra work to get away from a platform that just pissing me off at this point. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

Evernote has kept me sane since 2012 and this is the first time I've ever posted to any of these forums.  I need to add my voice to the "bring back the visual notebook view." Begging you. I can't 

I, too hate the list view.  I'm going to have to find an alternative unless you PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE restore the graphic notebook view.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 2

I see I'm not the only one who is sooooo disappointed with the new layout change!  The new list format is far, far less efficient than the grid format.  I feel like we've gone back in time with this 'update'. I am amazed we aren't given the option to choose between the list format or grid. 

You now have four pages of complaints about this change, so I hope you will take this into consideration when you are doing your next update and at least give us the option of returning to the grid format please. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

Another vote to bring back the grid, please.   Single column does not work with many notebooks as others stated.   

Who asked for this?   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 2

PLEASE FIX. The list view is AWFUL. Will have to download the older version if this is not fixed.... yuck. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I absolutely HATE the new display of Notebooks in a long list.  Really, it's awful.  So bad in fact that even after being an Evernote user for YEARS, I'm thinking of looking for a more elegant solution.  BRING BACK the former view.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 10/10/2017 at 9:14 AM, Jennifer365 said:

I absolutely HATE the new display of Notebooks in a long list.  Really, it's awful.  So bad in fact that even after being an Evernote user for YEARS, I'm thinking of looking for a more elegant solution.  BRING BACK the former view.

i agree.. when i updated evernote app, the synching with my mac was so bad.. i had to delete and reinstall evernote again.. not sure why the display is so bad.. can we just return to the previous version ..

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I agree with what's been previously written, the old view was much better and easier to use than the new list. It also looked nicer, more professional.

It should be possible to choose between views as a matter of personal preference and I ask Evernote to respond to this request.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 3

So I do love Evernote. I've never liked their arrogance toward design though. They come up with fantastic ideas but then the think they "know it" ,  it seems they only design as THEY like it. Omniscient beings that always know what we the users --paying users!!!--  need or want.l

It's not a conspiracy, it's just business; THEY DON'T CARE!. It's about numbers. So, if enough users complain, they go back on their decision, but if not enough users complain, then they were infallibly right and they'll just keep being in many areas design gods.  

That arrogance is what irks me from Evernote- love everything else. To bad. 

I don't think I can really stay any longer. I gave this arrogant design decision time for it "to grow on me". But it didn't. My work flow--which developed through time because of Evernote's design-- starts with the Notebook view. So scrolling  and searching is agains the grain for me --an ignorant non-flexible user--. Why not just add this awful new layout to the user choices for Notebook view so WE THE USERS CAN CHOSSE!

I will be moving to another platform. It's probably best for Evernote because it's obvious I'm not in their customer radar. To bad. :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • -1
20 minutes ago, jrzap said:

I will be moving to another platform.

Good bye,  Good Luck 

Please let us know what platform you picked

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

I have a big problem with this whole idea...

If I have to beg a software company to reinstate a feature that is critical to the user interface. And if the management of the software company is so utterly clueless that they remove critical aspects to the user interface. Then, folks, it is time to move on. That's exactly what I did and I'm not looking back. I switched to ZoHo Notebook after reviewing a few different software packages. I do not reward stupidity with loyalty. And over the years there have been several stupid changes to Evernote and quite frankly a clear and shameless disrespect to the user base. So to quote another dummy,  "Fool me once shame on you - fool me twice, can't get fooled again".  But that's another story. Good luck everyone!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

I also register my dislike to the new list format for notebooks.   The previous format was much more user-friendly, enabling me to see my groups at a glance.  Now, this multiple scrolling to get to my notebook is time-consuming and cumbersome.    I vote for the previous boxes/grid view.   At the least give us the option of choosing one or the other. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Perfect timing, the suggestion of ZOHO. My Evernote paid subscription ends in a few days and I'll be moving on. Any major layout change without notification/warning/option to change COMBINED WITH zero response to customer queries about future options to return to the old layout = not worth getting my $$.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, micheleley said:

Perfect timing, the suggestion of ZOHO. My Evernote paid subscription ends in a few days and I'll be moving on. Any major layout change without notification/warning/option to change COMBINED WITH zero response to customer queries about future options to return to the old layout = not worth getting my $$.

Agreed. Honestly the lack of response from customer support over this change is appalling. What's the point of a "feedback" forum if no one from the development team responds? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 10/15/2017 at 5:37 PM, SMX-CT said:

I have a big problem with this whole idea...

If I have to beg a software company to reinstate a feature that is critical to the user interface. And if the management of the software company is so utterly clueless that they remove critical aspects to the user interface. Then, folks, it is time to move on. That's exactly what I did and I'm not looking back. I switched to ZoHo Notebook after reviewing a few different software packages. I do not reward stupidity with loyalty. And over the years there have been several stupid changes to Evernote and quite frankly a clear and shameless disrespect to the user base. So to quote another dummy,  "Fool me once shame on you - fool me twice, can't get fooled again".  But that's another story. Good luck everyone!

Thanks for suggesting ZoHo - sounds like a great product. Maybe we need EverNote's arrogance to motivate us to move to another (better) product. And we save $50 yearly fee. AND we can import from Evernote! Bye Evernote Hello ZoHo!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Another vote to return to the grid view in notebooks. I have a large number of notebooks and the long vertical list makes it more difficult to navigate. Please return with option for grid view.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2017-10-16 at 4:33 PM, janstet said:

Honestly the lack of response from customer support over this change is appalling

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 3

This is typical of the behaviour of many tech/software companies. Apple, for one, is notorious for making forcing unwelcome changes on users. For example, when they dumbed-down Pages to the point of uselessness, they aggravated countless business users who then had to purchase alternative software because Apple had decided to "improve" a perfectly good product. However, it has a customer base which has heavily invested in their hardware and so has to be pushed very hard indeed to turn to other providers. 

Without this security Evernote is skating on thin ice when it messes around with the interface like this. Personally, I had no idea how much I actually used notebooks at all, rather than just searching by tags, until they made this change and my workflow was slapped down by the idiotic new single-colum list they decided to impose. Why the hell did they think that it would be more efficient for people who had got used to having a big screen will all notebooks visible at once to have to scroll up and down trying to find the right one? 

If anyone from Evernote is actually reading this, please consider this point:
Serious users of any software do not value change for change's sake. We want to work efficiently. If we don't like something we will tell you and will appreciate it when you listen. If you have a great new idea than tell us and we'll probably love you for it, perhaps even pay you more. We remain loyal. But messing around with major parts of software UI is like sneaking into users' offices while they are out and rearranging their stuff. We do not like it at all if you encourage us to work a certain way and then suddenly make that impossible. We can — and will — take our money elsewhere if you make that a sensible choice. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I am complete agree it is really a bad move from Evernote staff to remove gridview, it make no sense.
Where can I see the reaction from the staff, maybe they can explain why they have moved this feature away, maybe it is just a fault.

Please give us the freedom back, so we can make our own choice.

This first time in my life writing to this kind of forums, but it is such a shame to spoil a good APP  just like that.

Best regards from 

Michael Schilling

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I'm gonna throw my vote in again - Please bring it back or make it a view option. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Someone should really create a Change.org petition about this, i'll RT and share.

It would  improve life for many Evernote users, and impact global happiness in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, Fab4real said:

Someone should really create a Change.org petition about this, i'll RT and share.

It would  improve life for many Evernote users, and impact global happiness in the world.

You could tweet to the CEO instead and ask him to wake up. He's obviously clueless or careless.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 10/6/2017 at 9:13 PM, sublime said:

Nope :(

Screen-Shot-2017-10-06-at-5_26.10-PM.jpg.266484835cfaabcf980385f8b595bd81.jpg

 

TRUE! or you could just move on - like I did. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and luckily no green elephant.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I am seriously put off by the new view as well. Not only is it a bad view, but it is discouraging that it even made it into implementation. I have always loved Evernote, but lately it seems to be missing the mark.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

This new view has serious ruined Evernote for me, and I am not being hyperbolic. I have started using Apple Notes... and I am a premium user on Evernote 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hello, I am wondering what happened to the page where I can view my notebooks in a HORIZONTAL view? That was the BEST feature of Evernote and why I chose it over OneNote. I am an ADHD Coach and work with ADHD college clients and young adults. My clients and I rely on VISUAL organization (NOT TAGS)...which includes a Left-to-Right view AND/OR color differences. I do wish you had color capabilities with Notebooks BUT at a minimum PLEASE BRING BACK THE LEFT TO RIGHT FORMAT. In addition, it seems harder to move notebooks around to different stacks. Can you please bring that back as well? I really do NOT want to change back to One Note.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Anyone here used Milanote? I just heard about it, "Evernote for Creatives," it says, and it does look pretty cool. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
16 hours ago, LindaElle said:

Anyone here used Milanote? I just heard about it, "Evernote for Creatives," it says, and it does look pretty cool. 

Personally, my purpose in using Evernote is as a filing cabinet, and not so much for "Creative"

There's a review at https://www.pcmag.com/review/351632/milanote

930CC6A8-410B-4DF5-BA30-D9A1A5C4BF53.thumb.jpeg.9792a8e344789b6ee99c41c3818064c1.jpeg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 minute ago, DTLow said:

There's a review at https://www.pcmag.com/review/351632/milanote

Personally, my purpose in using Evernote is as a filing cabinet, and not so much for "Creative"

Thanks for the link. The lack of a web clipper is a deal breaker for me. Zoho is still looking like my best alternative. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I know I'm in the minority here but I just wanted to say that I like the list view, personally. I could see where an option might be helpful (old vs new).

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
23 hours ago, cmartin44 said:

I know I'm in the minority here but I just wanted to say that I like the list view, personally. I could see where an option might be helpful (old vs new).

That's not the point. List view was always available.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
23 hours ago, cmartin44 said:

I know I'm in the minority here but I just wanted to say that I like the list view, personally. I could see where an option might be helpful (old vs new).

Before the view disappeared, we did have the option switch.  It's good compromise 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I can't believe this is even a thing - that the best notebook view isn't available anymore.  I absolutely can't stand scrolling through my notes.

All I want is the grid view of my notebooks again.  Just add the capability back as an option, that's all.

Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, westontsmith said:

I can't believe this is even a thing - that the best notebook view isn't available anymore.  I absolutely can't stand scrolling through my notes.

All I want is the grid view of my notebooks again.  Just add the capability back as an option, that's all.

Thanks!

Yeah - I mean it's surreal. WTF were they thinking? Well, I've moved on, I can't be around stupidity and the decision makers at Evernote are making really stupid choices and they don't seem to have any respect for the user. I had a fit a few years back when they took away the 3d notebook covers but gritted my teeth and dealt with it - but this is beyond that. I switched to ZoHo notebook but I just heard about another app called Milanote that I also want to check out. There are many options at this point and Evernote has jumped the shark. Sadly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 10/19/2017 at 9:17 AM, Fab4real said:

Someone should really create a Change.org petition about this, i'll RT and share.

It would  improve life for many Evernote users, and impact global happiness in the world.

UGH, Why bother? There are many alternatives. Just move on - it ain't getting better. and they obviously don't care about you the user.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 10/7/2017 at 9:50 AM, LindaElle said:

Thanks for that-- your comment inspired me to look into OneNote. This article is pretty convincing, even though the author chose to stay with Evernote for the time being. OneNote appears to offer all the key functionality of EN with the added very cool feature of converting handwriting to text. And yes, customizable grid notebooks. 

https://michaelhyatt.com/evernote-alternatives.html

The only real drawback I see is a problem with importing from EN, but It might be worth some extra work to get away from a platform that just pissing me off at this point. 

 

I just imported everything into ZoHo Notebook and it worked well enough. Plus I get to design my own notebook covers in photoshop and apply them to each notebook. It's still a young app and lacks several things but they are just starting out. I'm going to give them a shot. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
8 hours ago, SMX-CT said:

I just imported everything into ZoHo Notebook and it worked well enough. Plus I get to design my own notebook covers in photoshop and apply them to each notebook. It's still a young app and lacks several things but they are just starting out. I'm going to give them a shot. Good luck!

Were you able to do a multi-note import? I couldn't find a way to import more than one note at a time (though I didn't spend a lot of time investigating). Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It's very easy to export your notes from Evernote on the Win/Mac platforms.  I don't see an export option in Zoho Notebook which may be a problem in the future if you want to switch products

On a Mac, select the notes, then file > export; use the html format

On the Zoho Notebook side, use File > Import

Great! Thanks. :)

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, LindaElle said:

Great! Thanks. :)

 

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

It's very easy to export your notes from Evernote on the Win/Mac platforms.  I don't see an export option in Zoho Notebook which may be a problem in the future if you want to switch products

On a Mac, select the notes in Evernote, then file > export; use the html format

In Zoho Notebook, use File > Import

 

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

It's very easy to export your notes from Evernote on the Win/Mac platforms.  I don't see an export option in Zoho Notebook which may be a problem in the future if you want to switch products

On a Mac, select the notes in Evernote, then file > export; use the html format

In Zoho Notebook, use File > Import

That is a valid point. But like I said they are just starting out and I've been using them for about a month and so far so good for my needs. They do have an automated import that they sent me and the entire Evernote content was imported in one shot. I am concerned about the export - I'll need to find out about that.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
5 hours ago, LindaElle said:

Were you able to do a multi-note import? I couldn't find a way to import more than one note at a time (though I didn't spend a lot of time investigating). Thanks again!

Yes - they sent me a link that did it automatically. My entire contents of Evernote in one shot. It did wipe out the dates and times of when each evernote was saved. So you lose that - not sure if it matters. It didn't for me.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
6 hours ago, SMX-CT said:

Yes - they sent me a link that did it automatically. My entire contents of Evernote in one shot. It did wipe out the dates and times of when each evernote was saved. So you lose that - not sure if it matters. It didn't for me.

That's fantastic! Like you, I don't care about the date I saved the note. I just want to be able to work within a framework that doesn't make me angry every time I try to use it. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, LindaElle said:

That's fantastic! Like you, I don't care about the date I saved the note. I just want to be able to work within a framework that doesn't make me angry every time I try to use it. 

Yeah - I love it. Still, needs a lot of work. Milanote looks good but it's $120/year. I do want to query NoHo about an important point that DTLow made. How do you export your materials. I don't want to invest a year into this thing and find I'm stuck on the platform without an exit strategy. In case they start charging high rate or decide to take Grid view away like our friends did here.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

ohgod! I miss my grid view! I am on the "give us a choice" side. Not sure whose "brilliant" idea it was to change this, but put it back. . . soon!!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Guys,

believe it or not but because of this I have now finally moved to Onenote. Was about to become a paying Evernote user. Onenote is not perfect either but I can always tell myself that I am at least not paying for something that I am not really happy with.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

So BAD!!!!

I started using Apple Notes app a lot due to ease of use (opening immediately, etc) for quick notes/updates. But I still love Evernote for its organizational capability, which I use for more important long term content that I want to remember. 

That means I do not have to log into Evernote as much anymore. Imagine my surprise to have this current notebook layout view. They did this before but still allowed you to revert back to original view. I expected they would learn a lesson when everyone opted for the old view, but now that option seems to have disappeared and the new view permanent.  So unfortunate. 

[I guess reverting back to the old version was so hidden and unadvertised that many people never knew. And Evernote made a business decision based on faulty data.]

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
6 minutes ago, Better D said:

when everyone opted for the old view

Everyone???  Where are you getting your data from....the vote count on this request

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Touche.

If my reckless use of the word Everyone hurt your feelings, I'm sorry. Perhaps I just can't imagine how anyone would like the new view, thereby creating a biased perspective.

Regardless, it's bad... very bad... to everyone that matters.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Could someone please tell me the process to revert Evernote back to the original version? 

I've tried account settings > Evernote web > Go back to the old version. But there's no option to save the change and it doesn't revert back to the original version where folder icons were visible.

This is extremely frustrating!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Totally agree - please bring back the covers or give us the option to see a list view or cover view.  I can't believe you would take away the cover view?  Why?  Seems like it would have been great to just add in a "list view".  

I hate the list view!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Personally, I find the new notebook view effective. I can scan the notebook titles from top to bottom quickly and find what I want. It’s this reason alone that when given a choice between list and grid view, I choose list, unless there is some outstanding visual reason to choose grid (like it’s easier to identify through imagery).

All of the notebooks looked the same, so grid offers no benefit in my opinion; however, as pointed out, my opinion doesn’t matter. 

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Agree with the rest here. I couldn't believe that this actually was the only option after the upgrade and searched around to figure out how to change the setting. Evernote now is HARD to use, not efficient. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I'm still in Evernote but I cancelled my subscription just because of this - trialing some other options.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I want to add a hearty "SECOND" to this motion! I came to this forum specifically to post this request and saw this post already addressed it. The new layout sucks and is driving me crazy. I already have a list view in my sidebar. Why in God's name would you force me to have the same exact layout in the main screen too? Bring back the boxes or tiles or whatever you call them! At the very least, give me the option of having it that way. In our modern world of advanced technology, there is no excuse for not at least giving me the option to see my notebooks the old way if I want to. That should be my choice. This new layout is a poor, poor idea by Evernote. Bring back the old view or give me the option to see it that way! 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Well done Evernote. People who need the grid view the most are people who have a lot of notebooks.

The grid view was the best way to quickly find a book without having to scroll a lot. 

Which means. most likely, the unhappy users are long term users, accumulating a lot of notes over time.

But also, it will be hard for these long time users like me to leave if they're not happy, as their data is stuck in here. 

It feels like a calculated risk on Evernote's part, to not care about these users needs, although it's hard to a see a worthwhile advantage of taking that risk. 

But if the focus is not on keeping loyal long term customers happy what is Evernote trying to do?

Is it all about acquiring new customers, who will never know or care about the grid view?

If so, what should the old timers do? 

1. Waste time posting on forums

2. Lookup this lifehacker post: How to Jump Ship From Evernote and Take Your Data With You 

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-jump-ship-from-evernote-and-take-your-data-with-1782841075

As soon as I can find some time now...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Notebook List view not as intuitive and workable.  Old Notebook display method was one of the strongest points of the Evernote product IMHO.  Now Evernote looks, acts, and performs like others in the herd.  For me there is no need to keep paying for Evernote 'Premium'.  I've already started moving my information to another service.  Pity.  Perhaps Evernote could offer some explanation to longtime, loyal customers like me.  I am happy to stay with the product if there is a net-new benefit of the new structure/function.  But I just can't see it.  So it's goodbye Evernote, Hello Onenote.  Best of luck to the Evernote Team.  Up to now, you've been top notch.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Regarding the removal of multi-columns to a list presentation - why move from greater to lesser with no options provided?  Was loving Evernote.  Now thinking of dropping it altogether.  Please bring it back.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 11/9/2017 at 7:54 PM, micheleley said:

I'm still in Evernote but I cancelled my subscription just because of this - trialing some other options.

I understand people have wishes for the software (we all do), but is really a subscription-cancelling level issue for you? I'm just curious because to me, while yes Evernote is imperfect, it is valuable service for me and I would not subscribe/cancel based on something like this. Are (were) you a paying customer? Legit curious why this is a dealbreaker.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

@cmartin44 - Yes, I think it probably is a subscription-cancelling level issue for me too.  I've been a premium user for 5+ years, and the lack of having multiple columns for notebooks has made it unusable for me... I'm in awe that they did this in a "upgrade"

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
21 hours ago, cmartin44 said:

I understand people have wishes for the software (we all do), but is really a subscription-cancelling level issue for you? I'm just curious because to me, while yes Evernote is imperfect, it is valuable service for me and I would not subscribe/cancel based on something like this. Are (were) you a paying customer? Legit curious why this is a dealbreaker.  

If you're asking about the loss of grid view then definitely YES! It shows a lack of respect toward the user

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
28 minutes ago, SMX-CT said:

It shows a lack of respect toward the user

How do design changes become "lack of respect"
Does this also mean the other many design changes also "show lack of respect"

Lack of notification?  We had to ask about the missing option to find out it was a design change

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
21 hours ago, cmartin44 said:

is really a subscription-cancelling level issue

Personally, I would just delay implementing the software upgrade; or downgrade to a previous version
I'm not being forced to use this version

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
21 hours ago, cmartin44 said:

I understand people have wishes for the software (we all do), but is really a subscription-cancelling level issue for you? I'm just curious because to me, while yes Evernote is imperfect, it is valuable service for me and I would not subscribe/cancel based on something like this. Are (were) you a paying customer? Legit curious why this is a dealbreaker.  

I've previously had the experience with a software provider who refused to respond to user queries about whether or not they were planning to fix a product broken by an iOS update. This lack of communication shows me disrespect for users. I ended up feeling like a circus chump. This experience of what clearly is a major design change (based on the strength of response by the number of users taking time to write about this, which reflects my sense as well) with no communication to users about it before they downloaded the update, no communication about it since, makes me feel the company has the same customer service sensibility. This I don't respect. I didn't particularly need the paid benefits of Evernote, but will pay when a product is providing good service. I feel they betrayed that good service and thus I choose to quit paying for the subscription (which I did this month when it came due, and which I wouldn't have otherwise.)

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Personally, I would just delay implementing the software upgrade; or downgrade to a previous version
I'm not being forced to use this version

I would have had they clearly communicated what the upgrade included. I'm unwilling to pay to have to downgrade.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
13 minutes ago, micheleley said:

I'm unwilling to pay to have to downgrade.

Evernote does not charge for any of the software versions.

>>I would have had they clearly communicated what the upgrade included.

I agree; it should have been clearly stated

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
43 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote does not charge for any of the software versions.

>>I would have had they clearly communicated what the upgrade included.

I agree; it should have been clearly stated

I didn't communicate clearly - I meant that if I have to downgrade to a functional-to-me version, I'm unwilling to pay. If they'd communicated clearly beforehand, that's another story.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

Is it possible to downgrade to get the grid layout? I'm a daily user of Evernote for several years now and am having so much trouble using it without the grid layout. Has anyone found a link or a way to downgrade? 

I'm spending time looking into Zoho and some other options, but if I could just downgrade today, I'd do it. Please let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
16 hours ago, dinamande said:

Is it possible to downgrade to get the grid layout?

Yes, it's easy to switch to a different version

I can obtain the app version I need from my backups.  The application can also be obtained from Evernote.  Each release has a post with a link to the application; for example the v6.13 release post is linked below

My installation process is

  • Completely remove Evernote; app, database, ...  The app AppCleaner is recommended for this
  • Install the Evernote app and the database will be rebuilt from the servers.  Warning: The rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 2

For the love of god, Evernote team! Why haven't you addressed this issue yet? This is so disappointing.

Mark my words, if you don't listen to the feedback of your loyal user base you're putting the future of Evernote at risk!

The column view can be hidden in the settings for all I care but bring it back ASAP

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
On 11/17/2017 at 11:06 PM, cmartin44 said:

I understand people have wishes for the software (we all do), but is really a subscription-cancelling level issue for you? I'm just curious because to me, while yes Evernote is imperfect, it is valuable service for me and I would not subscribe/cancel based on something like this. Are (were) you a paying customer? Legit curious why this is a dealbreaker.  

Yes, it absolutely IS a subscription-cancelling-level issue for me. I have been a paying customer for quite a few years, and the ability to view my items in the way that works best for me is imperative. The grid view feature has been an integral part of EN for as long as I've used it. EN's unwillingness to even acknowledge unhappy users' concerns only adds to the frustration. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
6 hours ago, LindaElle said:

Yes, it absolutely IS a subscription-cancelling-level issue for me. I have been a paying customer for quite a few years, and the ability to view my items in the way that works best for me is imperative. The grid view feature has been an integral part of EN for as long as I've used it. EN's unwillingness to even acknowledge unhappy users' concerns only adds to the frustration. 

+1

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

First time in 5 years I regret being so deep into my usage of Evernote. 

Hate the new set up. 

Mostly not having one interface where I can view all my notes, where is the benefit to me of having to come out of business and into personal notes (and visa versa). 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

Why isn't this feature listed in Evernote Feature Requests

I agree completely that the "grid view" was highly preferable for Notebooks view. At the very least, there should be an option to toggle from "grid view" to "list view".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
37 minutes ago, RSB said:

Why isn't this feature listed in Evernote Feature Requests

The  Evernote Feature Requests forum is used for general cross-platform requests.
This request is specific to the Mac, and is correctly posted in the Mac feedback forum

You can indicate your support for the request using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I've been so lost ever since the update that deleted the grid view for notebooks. Please bring it back! If you agree, please comment and let's be heard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
30 minutes ago, dinamande said:

I've been so lost ever since the update that deleted the grid view for notebooks.

The notebook grid view was dropped in the v6.12 Mac upgrade.  I think it was dropped a while back in the Windows platform.  afaik, the other platforms always had a simple notebook list view

I recall the Mac notebook grid view showed a grid of notebooks, along with large icons of a generic notebook.  The icons were not customizable, although that was requested in a different discussion

I only have 6 notebooks but I actually prefer the list view

To indicate your support for this request, please use the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

This issue has still not been fixed!?!?!!!!! 

Has anyone known of these forums actually promoting a positive response from Evernote, or any response for that matter? Or is this platform a way of Evernote fobbing off its paying customers off, due to its lack of actual support?

6 pages of outraged customers and no response......Evernote doesn't give a flying F*@K about us.

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

I wonder who is behind the new layout, this is so bad, I'm now looking for an alternate solution. I'm not sure the reason behind not having the grid view.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
19 hours ago, llcamilo said:

I wonder who is behind the new layout, this is so bad, I'm now looking for an alternate solution. I'm not sure the reason behind not having the grid view.

I don't need any of the bells and whistles of Evernote. I'm a visual thinker so I've switched to ZoHo Notebook. Which is new and has yet to develop a lot of important and fundamental features that are painfully missing. But the visual aspect of it sold me so I've exported over to them. Crossing my fingers they will continue to refine it and add features. IE: Like export as an example. but I am done with Evernote for sure. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I've been living with this new layout thinking I was doing something wrong. Today I decided to dive in and correct this pain in the patootie view, and alas, found this thread. Count me in. The notebook list is terrible. Why would this have been changed? I use Evernote for school and the notebook list means I can't see everything I need to, and organizing is difficult. I am not at the point where I'm considering moving but that may change once the new semester starts. I'll then look into some of the other tools others have mentioned. But please, Evernote, bring back the tiled view. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Here here.

Ever curious, it would be fascinating to hear the basis for removing this...Evernote, please could you give us a "fly on the wall" insight into the decision to drop this time-saving feature?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I am due to renew my 9th year of Evernote premium. This single column view is going to make me use everything I can in my Google Suite instead of paying for this horrid layout. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2018-01-03 at 12:26 PM, Robbin_G said:

use everything I can in my Google Suite instead of paying for this horrid layout. 

Please give us more details on how notebooks are displayed in the Google Suite

edit: Answering my own question, I did some research.  Google Docs doesn't use notebooks, but organizes by folders. There is a grid option5a4e46264fb54_ScreenShot2018-01-04at07_16_37.png.05525d741a22a637a379641636969f17.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
51 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Please give us more details on how notebooks are displayed in the Google Suite

If I'm going to fight with a list view, I'm going to do it for free, not $69 a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
57 minutes ago, Robbin_G said:

I am due to renew my 9th year of Evernote premium. This single column view is going to make me use everything I can in my Google Suite instead of paying for this horrid layout. 

I've just downgraded to 6.11. Lets see how long it takes before something breaks from age!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
On 11/18/2017 at 10:37 PM, DTLow said:

How do design changes become "lack of respect"
Does this also mean the other many design changes also "show lack of respect"

Lack of notification?  We had to ask about the missing option to find out it was a design change

For example. Say you are driving a FORD Explorer and you take it in for a tuneup to Ford Service. When you get it back, FORD management decided to remove the gas peddle. They tell you that you now have to push your car and jump in and steer when it reached proper velocity. Oh " but I needed the gas peddle to make my car accelerate".  "Well too bad Mr. Consumer - you now have to push your car" says FORD management. We decided you no longer need your accelerator. I would say that is pretty damn disrespectful to you as a customer. I don't want to be notified - what I want is to leave my ***** alone. You can add but never, NEVER, take stuff away that you've given. A major rule in keeping a customer happy. Or anyone for that matter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 minutes ago, SMX-CT said:

FORD management decided to remove the gas peddle

So you equate the notebook grid with a gas pedal on your car

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

I consider Grid view as ABSOLUTELY essential to working with Evernote. Is that too much of a stretch for you?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 2

The disrespect is in not communicating about what clearly for some is a major design change - or being responsive about. I'm only one little customer but it cost them my paid subscription. I find the new layout very much not to my liking, but it was the way it was handled that most rankled.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • -1
35 minutes ago, SMX-CT said:

I consider Grid view as ABSOLUTELY essential to working with Evernote. Is that too much of a stretch for you?

Less stretch than the gas pedal.  Not "ABSOLUTELY essential" for me (7 notebooks), but different strokes ...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 3

This was the response I received from support:

 

Quote

With the 6.13.2 release, we are trying our best to maintain a common view across all platforms due to customer requests. I understand that this change is not ideal for certain customers.

 

I responded with, OK so ADD that option, not take away options.  Whoever ASKED for a list view doesn't have over 100 notebooks spanning a decade as I do. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...