It's almost 2018 and Evernote's spell checker is still bad

emmgee

Idea

I am writing a note in version 6.7.5.5825 on a Windows 10 computer.  I just typed "isn't".  Evernote's spell checker doesn't recognize this word.  It underlines "isn" -- I guess Evernote doesn't know about contractions.  If I add to the dictionary the entry is "isn".  You gotta be kidding.

My biggest gripe about Evernote for Windows is that when you add a word to the dictionary, the underline doesn't go away.  Next time you write that word there is no underline, so that's good.  Every other spell checker that I know of (including Evernote for Mac) removes the underline after the word is added to the dictionary.

C'mon Evernote developers.  This should be easy to fix.

15 replies to this idea

I agree. I just wrote Art Deco and Evernote thought Deco was misspelled. It's now 2018. 

Evernote is also unaware of many proper nouns and company names, such as Bulova and Breitling, which Evernote wanted to change to Wrestling

Evernote's spelling suggestions are weak. Take the misspelled animal name, ekidna. My fault, I know, for not knowing how to spell this Australian animal. But Evernote suggested kidnap. Google, however, correctly suggested, echidna

I prefer using Evernote over Google Docs (my main word processing program), in part because it's super fast to summon and is on all of my devices. But Evernote would be better if its spellchecker was modernized and updated. 

• Level 5*
On 11/10/2018 at 7:54 PM, fac7or said:

I also agree on this. I keep encountering words that really ought to appear in the dictionary, like invariance. Although to be totally fair, my browser (Chrome) doesn't pick a lot of them up either...

So add them, pretty easy to do.

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, emmgee said:

I am writing a note in version 6.7.5.5825 on a Windows 10 computer.  I just typed "isn't".  Evernote's spell checker doesn't recognize this word.  It underlines "isn" -- I guess Evernote doesn't know about contractions.  If I add to the dictionary the entry is "isn".  You gotta be kidding.

My biggest gripe about Evernote for Windows is that when you add a word to the dictionary, the underline doesn't go away.  Next time you write that word there is no underline, so that's good.  Every other spell checker that I know of (including Evernote for Mac) removes the underline after the word is added to the dictionary.

C'mon Evernote developers.  This should be easy to fix.

Fixed it the 6.8 betas, going public at some point in the future I would suppose.

I got a new laptop a couple of weeks ago and installed Evernote.  All of a sudden the underline problem wasn't there anymore.  Turns out a later release seems to have fixed it.  I'm now on 6.8.7.6387 (306387) Public (CE Build ce-1.36.3494).  I checked my old laptop and it wasn't on this release.  For some reason Evernote didn't alert me even though my settings include auto-checking for updates.

Anyway...  Thanks for addressing this.   

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

And they are still choosing to do other things. [Gotta move the "New Note" button.]

PITA, but exiting and returning the note should remove the underline on the other USF.

I also agree on this. I keep encountering words that really ought to appear in the dictionary, like invariance. Although to be totally fair, my browser (Chrome) doesn't pick a lot of them up either...

• Level 5*
On 11/10/2018 at 4:54 PM, fac7or said:

Evernote's dictionary exhibits properties of invariance.