Strange Copy / Paste issue

Been using Evernote for a few years. Have never had a single issue. Out of nowhere yesterday, I'm no longer able to copy and paste text without it adding a strange syntax (&npsp;). Here's an example:

ORIGINAL COPIED TEXT

Up to product team, come up with content to support them, making sure content gets created, briefing creative to creative services team so that it looks good in email and suits product, writing product, come a long way over the past few years

PASTED TEXT

Up to product team, come up with content to support them, making sure content gets created, briefing creative to creative services team so that it looks good in email and suits product, writing product, come a long way over the past few years=

Any ideas how to fix this? Using Macbook Air, updated to the latest version of the free Evernote. Thanks everyone!!

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered two things on this...  is the html code for a space. Second is a partial solution. If you click into a note where you're having the issue, select Format from the menu above and then select "simplify formatting". This will get rid of the problem in that note. But it will also remove most formatting (e.g. if you have anything highlighted).  And you still have to simplify formatting for each individual note. Note ideal but does solve the problem till Evernote creates a better fix. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was having that problem too - cutting and pasting within the same note in Evernote on my Mac and getting " " - but it has stopped.  One of the things I had tried was clicking on "Simplify formatting."  I had been reluctant to do that because I didn't want to lose bold.  But if memory serves, I kept my bolds and the issue stopped. 

I'm also experiencing something like this on the latest Mac desktop version (6.13.3 455969 Direct). When I copy something with ampersands in my Evernote doc, it pastes each ampersand as "&". 

I've found something that might be very useful for tracking this bug down (and/or for a quick workaround while this is being addressed). This bug only happens when I change the font of the text snippet from the default

Example workflow:

1. Write down the text snippet "copy & paste" with default formatting. Result: copy/paste yields the correct text.
  2. Change the font of that snippet to anything. Result: copy/paste yields "copy & paste".
  3. Change the font of that snippet back to the default manually (i.e.: not by using 'simplify formatting'). Result: copy/paste yields "copy & paste".
  4. Highlight the snippet and use 'simplify formatting'. Result: copy/paste yields the correct text again.

Me Too. 

MacOS 10.13.2 (High Sierra)

Evernote 6.13.1

Original text typed in Evernote = "call for appointment"

Cut and paste inside Evernote = "call for appointment"

Cut and paste from Evernote to this forum = "call for appointment"

To all others on this thread: I submitted a support ticket (#2340825, if it matters) and got a response. They know about the issue and they're working on it. Would've been nice for one of them to respond here directly, but oh well. Here's the text:

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to Evernote. My name is Anderson and I'll be assisting you.

I understand when pasting text into Evernote that contains reserved HTML, some encoded characters appear.

I can assure you that we are aware of this issue and we are working on a solution, we're hopeful to have an update with a fix released soon.

Also, I'll be sure to let our Forum team know about the thread and to reply to it––thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best,

Anderson

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, GSide said:

To all others on this thread: I submitted a support ticket (#2340825, if it matters) and got a response. They know about the issue and they're working on it. Would've been nice for one of them to respond here directly, but oh well. Here's the text:

Thank YOU for having the courtesy to let us know even if they did not!!

Same! :-(

I love Evernote, but this is a deal-breaker for me, if not resolved soon. I use Evernote as a primary text editor, and can't be wasting time cleaning up unwanted tags every time I move a sentence or paragraph around... Please make fixing this a priority! :-)

On 1/13/2018 at 6:14 PM, mapski99 said:

Me Too. 

MacOS 10.13.2 (High Sierra)

Evernote 6.13.1

Original text typed in Evernote = "call for appointment"

Cut and paste inside Evernote = "call for appointment"

Cut and paste from Evernote to this forum = "call for appointment"

Same problem, EN 6.13.1 on Mac 10.11.6.  For me, when it happens, if I Select Edit > Undo, I see the text "Clear Tags" beside Undo.  But I can't get it to replicate just now.

I am unable to duplicate this issue on my MacBook using EN for MacOS.

Could you be more specific on where the original text came from, did you paste it into a note, or did you type it? And are you pasting it into a new note, or are you using another application?

On 22/01/2018 at 6:54 PM, GSide said:

Any responses yet to the support ticket?

+1 in the past month or so this appeared... really frustrating.. i cant even copy from one note to another.... without gettin .  instead of space.  and ya i dont want to remove formatting - its there for a reason.

any idea when you're going to fix this?

Version 6.13.1 (455786 App Store)

mac os 10.13.3 (17D47)

On 2/4/2018 at 6:17 PM, macneilpi said:

I am unable to duplicate this issue on my MacBook using EN for MacOS.

Could you be more specific on where the original text came from, did you paste it into a note, or did you type it? And are you pasting it into a new note, or are you using another application?

@macneilpi I wrote down detailed steps to reproduce here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/110066-strange-copy-paste-issue/?do=findComment&comment=489369. The text is copied to the clipboard with the HTML-encoded characters. It doesn't matter where you paste it.

On 12/28/2017 at 11:36 AM, GSide said:

I'm also experiencing something like this on the latest Mac desktop version (6.13.3 455969 Direct). When I copy something with ampersands in my Evernote doc, it pastes each ampersand as "&". 

I've found something that might be very useful for tracking this bug down (and/or for a quick workaround while this is being addressed). This bug only happens when I change the font of the text snippet from the default

Example workflow:

1. Write down the text snippet "copy & paste" with default formatting. Result: copy/paste yields the correct text.
  2. Change the font of that snippet to anything. Result: copy/paste yields "copy & paste".
  3. Change the font of that snippet back to the default manually (i.e.: not by using 'simplify formatting'). Result: copy/paste yields "copy & paste".
  4. Highlight the snippet and use 'simplify formatting'. Result: copy/paste yields the correct text again.

I cannot duplicate this error. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's VERY annoying and very inconsistent. But it's nothing to do with cross-platform as I get in Evernote to Evernote. For example, I've just typed this line...[Pls don't judge me on content!],

Copied it..

"Opiniator - wants to tell everyone what and why their opinion is uniquely brilliant, insightful, correct. They believe this demonstrates their genius and moral superiority as a person." [Quotes added.]

Pasted it... a few lines above in area with an identical page font etc and Hey Presto... its march of the  

"Opiniator - wants to tell everyone what and why their opinion is uniquely brilliant & correct. They  believe this demonstrates their genius and moral superiority as a person." 

If I then copy paste   it transforms to    copy paste that to :  etc etc 

A brief investigation I've concluded that its the COPY into the buffer that inserts the fallacious content. Once a copy source has been 'infected' it'll paste into everything with   snuggling randomly into the spaces between words. Happening about 1/5 which seems  an increase?
This is one many irritating bugs and usability deficiencies that have persisted in the 2 years I’ve been a paying customer - which Evernote appears unmotivated to resolve.

I wonder if a representative from Evernote will respond? Plenty of Alternatives. Just a migration hassle...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have this issue also. I hope Evernote fixes this problem in an update. I have many thousands of notes. Fixing the TOC manually would take an extremely long time, and new notes would still have the problem.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Its December 13th, and I'm still having this &nbsp error, especially when I load previously created templates, which, incidentally do not have this error. Is there a fix anyone knows about? I tried the "simplify formatting," it erased all the formatting I had on my template, and the bug persisted.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5

This thread was quiet now for 13 months.

Which means

a) it was fixed, meanwhile, just nobody told it was

b) it was not fixed, but is is not important, so it does not need a fix

c) everybody complaining was completely exhausted by the phenomenal ability of EN not to listen to it‘s users, made famous by some inexhaustible participants in this forum, who always cry „mimimi , they ignore us, mimimi “, and so on

Pick your choice, please !