Make dashboards out of favorite notes

msfz751

Idea

What about giving the user the option of creating dashboards from the notes?

1. The user tags notes with .dashboard.todo, or .dashboard.articles, or .dashboard.snippets over time

2. Then, by pressing F10 or F11 Evernote goes to Dashboard mode which shows a full screen with the notes on it

3. These are favorite notes or most opened or most clicked on notes.

4. New notes on the dashboard displace older down but ranking can be improved by clicking or opening older notes more frequently

5. The dashboards can be switched by using tabs on the left or top of the dashboard

6. The Dashboard can be published online if the notes are marked with special tag .publish or .web

7. The Dashboard contains statistics on the notes showing there: how long been on the dashboard, how many clicks it had, words on it, number of keywords or tags, and other data mining features

17 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  I agree it would be good to have far more usage data on the popularity of notes - particularly if the content is shared with others,  but it seems like a saved search would do most of the rest of your suggestion,  and there already are options to see recently opened notes and (Tools > Options > Sync) to purge infrequently viewed notes.  Will be interested to see if others are keen...  (please vote - top left of the page)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Some of this functionality can be accomplished using an Evernote Shortcut:

• Create a search that's something like "tag:.dashboard.*"
  • Save it as, say, "Dashboard"
  • Add it to the shortcuts
  • Now run that shortcut
  • Sort the results according your wishes (e.g. Updated, reversed)
  • Right-click the shortcut and select "Remember View Settings"

You just made a dashboard: it will select anything that's tagged with a tag that begins with ".dashboard", and will appear in the sort order you've chosen. You can edit it to be more specific.

You can then make other dashboards to your liking. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, msfz751 said:

Then, by pressing F10 or F11 Evernote goes to Dashboard mode which shows a full screen with the notes on it

Can you expand on what the Dashboard view looks like.  I only use the top-list view, and use saved search shortcuts to control the selection of notes listed

1 hour ago, jefito said:

Some of this functionality can be accomplished using an Evernote Shortcut:

• Create a search that's something like "tag:.dashboard.*"
  • Save it as, say, "Dashboard"
  • Add it to the shortcuts
  • Now run that shortcut
  • Sort the results according your wishes (e.g. Updated, reversed)
  • Right-click the shortcut and select "Remember View Settings"

You just made a dashboard: it will select anything that's tagged with a tag that begins with ".dashboard", and will appear in the sort order you've chosen. You can edit it to be more specific.

You can then make other dashboards to your liking. 

Of course. But it is not visually appealing. I am talking about a DASHBOARD. It has to show more than notes: statistics, plots, text mining, and last bu tnot least the ability of publishing it in the web.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, msfz751 said:

and last bu tnot least the ability of publishing it in the web.

Hmmn.  It is possible to use Evernote as a limited form of content manager for a website but I'm not sure that Evernote has any ambition to become a serious web publishing route. 

Access to their servers is already busy with 220M users syncronising their various devices.  If a significant number of non-users start to access the service by browsing websites hosted there,  existing users may find it more difficult to connect and Evernote would have to invest in the supporting tech services to meet the demand.  Not to mention that they would also have to create virtually a new product to link notes together as you suggest and publish an active list of notes that includes links to specific pages. 

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, msfz751 said:

Of course. But it is not visually appealing. I am talking about a DASHBOARD. It has to show more than notes: statistics, plots, text mining, and last bu tnot least the ability of publishing it in the web.

Sure, I understand. But I put this in the category of mind-mapping, full-on task management, etc. Nice to have for some segment of the user base, and an interesting suggestion, sure, but not a core piece of Evernote functionality. And so therefore probably not a focus of development, at least at this time. In other words, I wouldn't bet my lunch money on seeing anything like it anytime soon. So in the meantime, if you can accomplish some of it via workaround...

We at Filterize like the idea of a dashboard and we build a tool to create dashboards. You can create a note with different sections, like open todos, new notes or anything else you can search. Then Filterize can create a list of notes, fitting to a given search, into these section.

If you are done, it could look like this:

dashboard.thumb.gif.a9d01ba9edad90ed5f37f4288135310d.gif

More details, on how to create such a dashboard could be find at https://fltrz.io/xZs75N3Y2S

Disclaimer: I'm the CEO of Filterize. Filterize is an online cloud service that acts like your personal Evernote assistant. Tell Filterize what to do and it starts working instantly in the background for you. It simplifies repetitive tasks, avoids errors and saves time.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Pascal Held said:

we build a tool to create dashboards

Hi.  I was aware of Filterize,  but not that you could create dashboards / TOCs in this way. At first glance it looks potentially very valuable - I propose to play! (When I can find some time to do it...) 

If I may suggest - I think it would be worth you moving this post to the 'Integrations' part of the forum,  since it looks like this would be generally useful for a lot of the requests that are coming in for additional functionality within Evernote.  It certainly means that a bespoke workflow is much easier to set up...

Thanks for the headsup - I look forward to getting into this in more depth...  😎

EDIT: I'll do some research into this too,  but it looks like it should be possible to share a dashboard with other users,  who could use the links there to navigate around a set of shared pages which they might otherwise find difficult without knowing the framework that the owner of the notes has applied. 

My ideal project would be to create a sort of activated 'site map' for a group of shared pages that automatically updates as new pages are added...

Hmmn.... 🤔

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Pascal Held said:

We at Filterize like the idea of a dashboard and we build a tool to create dashboards.

Thanks Pascal.  Filterize is a great automation tool for Evernote users.

I maintain my "dashboard" in a daily journal note, which I build each morning.
I rarely refresh during the day;  I think Filterize has an hourly refresh rate.
All my data is accesed by searches or links; its easy to obtain current data at any time.

The only Evernote data I include is Current Task and Active Project Lists, and links to important reference notes.

Other data is pulled from external sources; Calendar, Weather, Tide and Sun/Moon Schedules, ...
I have links in the template, but also include current screenshots

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

EDIT: I'll do some research into this too,  but it looks like it should be possible to share a dashboard with other users,  who could use the links there to navigate around a set of shared pages which they might otherwise find difficult without knowing the framework that the owner of the notes has applied. 

My ideal project would be to create a sort of activated 'site map' for a group of shared pages that automatically updates as new pages are added...

Hmmn.... 🤔

Sharing should be possible too. All links within the dashboard are normal note links, so you can navigate. If you share the dashboard note to other users, they can click and follow the links, as long as they have access to the target notes too.

41 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Thanks Pascal.  Filterize is a great automation tool for Evernote users.

I maintain my "dashboard" in a daily journal note, which I build each morning.
I rarely refresh during the day;  I think Filterize has an hourly refresh rate.
All my data is accesed by searches or links; its easy to obtain current data at any time.

The only Evernote data I include is Current Task and Active Project Lists, and links to important reference notes.

Other data is pulled from external sources; Calendar, Weather, Tide and Sun/Moon Schedules, ...
I have links in the template, but also include current screenshots

I also started to create dashboards with Evernotes table of content feature, but I didn't like that if I added new notes I have to take care of the table of contents manually.

Yes the Filterize table of contents are based on Evernote search queries and refreshed automatically once an hour (if you are active in Evernote, during non active times, it will skip the rewriting of the note).

I use IFTTT to pull data from external sources, like a daily weather notification or interesting articles into separate notes which could be combined into the dashboard.

• Like 1
On 12/29/2018 at 6:53 PM, gazumped said:

If I may suggest - I think it would be worth you moving this post to the 'Integrations' part of the forum,  since it looks like this would be generally useful for a lot of the requests that are coming in for additional functionality within Evernote.  It certainly means that a bespoke workflow is much easier to set up...

I think this is a great idea! Who can move it to the integrations part? Can you do it @DTLow or is it up to @msfz751 as the thread creator?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Pascal Held said:

I think this is a great idea! Who can move it to the integrations part? Can you do it @DTLow or is it up to @msfz751 as the thread creator?

Sorry, the discussion is a feature request and belongs in this forum
My superpowers don't include moving individual posts.

You can repost your comments in the Integrations forum.
I already posted about Filterize and Table of Contents at the note linked below.  There would be value in adding your dashboard comments and a link back to this discussion.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, Pascal Held said:

Yes,  sorry - my intention was for you to copy and paste the content rather than move it within the forum - we can all move topics,  but not individual posts.  I see @DTLow already mentioned this feature nearly a year ago - and the implications flew straight over my head.  Sorry to both!  No reason to do more than you already have by posting in that thread.

• Like 1

My question is this, Pascal Held.  I greatly appreciate Evernote's absolute dedication to keeping my Evernote content safe, private, and totally in my control and ability to view/edit.  If I were to use Filterize, wouldn't that diminish that safety and privacy by giving access to my Evernote to Filterize?  This concerns me greatly, no matter how much I like the idea of what Filterize could do to assist me with my daily productivity.  Response?  Thanks!

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, Corybe said:

My question is this, Pascal Held.  I greatly appreciate Evernote's absolute dedication to keeping my Evernote content safe, private, and totally in my control and ability to view/edit.  If I were to use Filterize, wouldn't that diminish that safety and privacy by giving access to my Evernote to Filterize?  This concerns me greatly, no matter how much I like the idea of what Filterize could do to assist me with my daily productivity.  Response?  Thanks!

Hi.  The previous post is now more than a year old,  and at least two of us have been using Filterize for at least that long without any obvious issues...  from their web pages...

"We store and process only necessary data like your notebook and tag names, but not the content of your notes. All data that is transmitted between you, Evernote and our server uses military grade SSL/TLS encryption. Data that we have to store is encrypted with AES-256."

If that doesn't seem sufficient security,  you have the option not to use the service.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Corybe said:

Hallo Corybe,

you are totally right. If you connect your Evernote account to any third-party tool, you will grant access to your notes. As developers could change the code in any way, every developer could change code so that note content could be accessible to him/her. Even Evernote themself could theoretical access your notes. Nevertheless, we respect your privacy and it is totally not in our sense to access your notes without your approval, otherwise we would risk our complete business model.

At Filterize, there are exactly two persons at the moment, that have access to the production code base, which includes access to the database keeping your Evernote access token. That's me and one of our developers. Both of us have no interest in your notes. Also there are laws, that we have to keep your privacy, especially here in Germany.

Concluding we can say that, yes you are right, there is a potential risk, but we're doing everything to keep your privacy. If you want to be totally safe you have to keep your notes locally on your machine.

Best regards,

Pascal

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Corybe said:

wouldn't that diminish that safety and privacy by giving access to my Evernote to Filterize?

16 minutes ago, Pascal Held said:

Also there are laws, that we have to keep your privacy, especially here in Germany.

I think the European privacy laws are stronger than US/Canada laws.

For myself,  I trust Evernote and Filterize with access to my data    
... and I encrypt my sensitive data