How to speed up Evernote

From I click a note to the content appears it often takes between 3 and 20 seconds (W10 app). This simply cannot be right. I have tried:

- a complete reinstall of EN after having uninstalled using revo uninstaller
- Cleared the database and refreshed it from the web
- Made sure that I do not use import folders in cloud based folders

There is a specially long wait after having changed to another notebook or performed a saved search. Then it takes ages for the first note I select to display, but the following notes typically just 1-6 seconds. Sometimes the content display immediately.

Any advise on how to remedy this? Do you experience similar long waiting times?

• Level 5*

Hi.  I take it from the context that we're talking Windows here,  but as a matter of interest is this 7, 8 or 10?  Do you run Evernote from a local hard drive or a network connection?  And is the parent drive an SSD,  a hybrid or a full platter version.

As you may know,  this is a (mainly) user-supported forum where you'll get the benefit(?) of my,  and other experienced users' suggestions.   Evernote staff do read these posts,  but they're not support - just developers looking for new ideas and generic issues with various applications .  The Support team is available on https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a paying customer,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not.  

You've already done most of the fixes we'd normally suggest,  so I'd recommend that you report this to Support if you haven't already done so.  Do you monitor your system activity through Task Manager?  What level of disk and memory resource is Evernote consuming when it is temporarily AWOL?

EDIT:  Sorry - it's a weekend,  the brain's running slow:  there are three other things you could look at.

1. Have a look at Tools > Options > Sync and 'enable on-demand sync' (ODS).  You'll be able to either: set the purge note content setting to a low number and allow the app to delete notes from your local drive only* that you haven't looked at in that period,  or: exit Evernote with ODS active and rename your existing database.  When Evernote rebuilds the file it will be a search index only.  I tried the latter method on my own 16GB and occasionally laggy database and had it down to 200MB or less and no lags.  But no backups either,  other than what's on the server.  I went back to a full database,  lags and a regular backup.  YMMV.

*The full database remains in place on the server.

2. Reinstall Evernote again for your user profile only (the default is 'for all users').  One user tried this and was happy with the improvements he saw.  I did likewise and saw no difference.

3. Use a Firewall blocker to stop Evernote chatting with its home server.  This worked for me,  but requires extra faffing.

Thanks a lot Gazumped! I'm using W10 with EN on a local SSD drive. Will try to do some experimenting with the "purge note setting" and if no success a fresh install.

I  did actually have support from EN about this, but that didn't  solve the problem.

Will let you know if any of your suggestions remedies the situation :) 

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, mlu said:

Thanks a lot Gazumped! I'm using W10 with EN on a local SSD drive. Will try to do some experimenting with the "purge note setting" and if no success a fresh install.

How much memory on your machine?  I have two laptops I use, neither of which is all that new.  The oldest has 4GB of memory and can run slow from time to time.  The newer has 8MB and very rarely runs slow.  So memory can have an impact.

Same issue on my Windows 10 laptop.

Evernote client jumps to 25% cpu usage when in foreground and is slow. 

At some point closing Slack app helped, but only once, so it was not the reason. Support is not helpfull as well.

mlu: did you try newest beta?

1 hour ago, twkrol said:

Same issue on my Windows 10 laptop.

Evernote client jumps to 25% cpu usage when in foreground and is slow. 

At some point closing Slack app helped, but only once, so it was not the reason. Support is not helpfull as well.

mlu: did you try newest beta?

@twkrol: On your advise I have just tried to install EN 6.8.3.6052, and it might have helped, although too early to say. Will try seeing during my work the coming week. But exiting:D

But even better for me -  yihaaaaaa!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D pdf's are now improved so that when you double click a word/number/date, it no longer opens the pdf, but rather highligts the text!!!! This is so amazing that I hardly have words for it - the paint > copy > paste so often failed in the old/current release, and I inadvertedly pasted the previous copy due to a failed copy.

However there is a slight delay (2 secs) in opening the pdf's, but this is nothing compared to the slowness I experienced earlier. Guess this is something Evernote will improve in coming releases.

I am a truly happy man today!

On 10/30/2017 at 6:17 PM, CalS said:

How much memory on your machine?  I have two laptops I use, neither of which is all that new.  The oldest has 4GB of memory and can run slow from time to time.  The newer has 8MB and very rarely runs slow.  So memory can have an impact.

8 GB - so I guess this should do. But thanks for the advise.

Archived