Sketching on iOS with Apple Pencil

Hi Evernote Team,

I use Evernote daily, especially with the Apple Pencil.  I noticed that the quality of the sketches have deteriorated after updating to iOS 11.

I have attached a screenshot, which shows my attempts at drawing straight lines on Evernote.  Each attempt produces significantly different results. 

I particular dislike lines that produces little bumps.  These lines are drawn using the same Apple Pencil, same weight and speed (as I can possibly manage).

Are you able to let me know what causes this?  Are there workarounds?  Is this an iPad Pro hardware issue?  

Your advice and feedback on this issue is much appreciated.  

Cheers
Simon

evernote-lines.png

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, sgtsunshine said:

I have attached a screenshot, which shows my attempts at drawing straight lines on Evernote.  Each attempt produces significantly different results. 

I don't use the sketch feature much but my lines look ok

894F9CBF-11A5-4D35-9D7D-266A4DBBEF8D.thumb.jpeg.f1fd251981316aa2fd78e3309ae21ffa.jpeg

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, sgtsunshine said:

It looks like you have snap-to-shape enabled. How does it look if you have that disabled?

My suspicion is that palm detection issues can cause the lines to break unexpectedly (thus causing the little bumps)

Redrawn with snap disabled

11E6AA4B-32AF-4682-B624-6E156CBB7067.jpeg.b172f8ac68524e3d7efd7cddedd1ca13.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure you can replicate my issue if you use sketch enough.  You''ll notice that as you draw, your palm obviously moves slightly and this may cause Evernote to "decide" on how the line is to be drawn.

If I am conscious about my palm placement (i.e. when I'm drawing, I shouldn't move my palm too much), then the lines are drawn as expected.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived