(Archived) nonsensical "Note too large." error

sporobolus

Idea

when i started a new note a new just now, and typed the first character, i was told:

"Note too large.

You cannot add anything new to this note because it will exceed the 25 MB Free user limit."

i searched the forum or this error message and don't find any entries

since i'm trying to type a single character, the note can't possibly be that large ...

nor does this seem related to the total size of my other notes (the error message is a bit vague) since i have only 31 notes, one is 442.9KB, one is 71.1KB and the rest are under 20KB; and my "current monthly usage" gauge is essentially on "empty"

i tried several times, deleting the new, empty note and trying again, with the same result; then as a test i quit and restarted Evernote; it now allows me to create a new note without emitting the error message

i am running Evernote 1.9.0 on Mac OS X 10.5.8; i can only assume 1.9.0 is the latest because although the site does not list any version numbers when i visit the download area, the application says there are not any updates

2 replies to this idea

when i started a new note a new just now, and typed the first character, i was told:

"Note too large.

You cannot add anything new to this note because it will exceed the 25 MB Free user limit."

i searched the forum or this error message and don't find any entries

since i'm trying to type a single character, the note can't possibly be that large ...

There must have been an attachment in the note you were trying to edit (or you were pasting text that would exceed the allowed note size) since there are no other reports (AFAIK) of someone getting that message when simply adding text to a new, blank note.

It's hardly nonsensical:post-11735-131906066813_thumb.jpg

i originally was pasting a short piece of text copied out of a textarea on a webform -- not styled, no graphics -- would be very surprised to find 25MB on my pasteboard -- and got the error and was prevented from pasting; but then found i couldn't even type a character into that note, so i deleted that empty note and looked for a simplest case for the bug report; the simplest case i found was:

• press command-n
    tab into the body area
    type a single character
    get the error message

however, restarting Evernote and repeating the minimum case worked with no error, and it has continued to work in the brief time since (including pasting in the contents of that same textarea) -- so it seems Evernote had gotten into an abnormal state; i'll post if i see it again

Archived