Spen support in Samsung Note 8

mac evernote

Idea

Hi,

I use Evernote extensively in day to day work. I am planing to buy Samsung Note 8 with s pen. Does it supports handwriting via S pen in Evernote app to write a note or sketch. Please share how is the performance and productivity with this device.

Thank u

Abhishek

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  I also have a Samsung device.  S Pen is NOT supported in note bodies,  although the connected app S Notes can be backed up into an Evernote notebook.  Evernote's note titles (oddly) do support S Pen input.  Using the pen with Evernote directly however is not possible.

• Level 5

There's a long discussion of this here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/96200-handwriting-support-with-s-pen-no-longer-working-after-782/. The gist is that (a) the Chrome-based editor now used in Evernote for Android doesn't work with the S Pen; however, (b) the quick notes that can be created from the Android notification bar (activated in the Evernote app by Settings > Notifications > Add notes from notification bar) do take input from the S Pen, not only in the title but in the note area itself.

• Level 5*

Actually I have some good news...

Following Evernote's new Pixelbook enhancements - https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2017/10/31/whats-new-evernote-pixelbook/ - the handwriting area in a note does accept S-Pen input.  So to use S-Pen in an existing note,  Attach a handwriting section.  To create a new note,  start a Handwriting note.  Easy!!

(Actually a handwriting note may have been the way to go for a while - never thought to look at the handwriting options.  Doh!)

• Level 5
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Actually I have some good news...

Following Evernote's new Pixelbook enhancements - https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2017/10/31/whats-new-evernote-pixelbook/ - the handwriting area in a note does accept S-Pen input.  So to use S-Pen in an existing note,  Attach a handwriting section.  To create a new note,  start a Handwriting note.  Easy!!

(Actually a handwriting note may have been the way to go for a while - never thought to look at the handwriting options.  Doh!)

Not sure I understand about "attaching a handwriting section" in the Android app. But yes, it's always been possible to handwrite a note, using the S Pen or a finger. What we're talking about is something specific to S Pen: in compatible apps, when hovering the S Pen over the beginning of a text area, there is a little blue circle you can tap on. This opens a window that takes handwritten input and converts it to text. It's not perfect, but generally it's brilliant for creating short notes that are text notes just as if created with the keyboard, though they originate as handwriting. This is what the Evernote app can't do at present in the main note area, only in the title area and in the quick notes from the notification pull-down.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Not sure I understand about "attaching a handwriting section" in the Android app.

Not sure if this was possible before,  but now - in an existing note,  go into edit and click the paperclip icon to scroll down to 'handwriting' as an option - or if you already tried this once,  look for the pen icon next to the paperclip.  You'll get a 'squared paper' backdrop on which you can write or draw with your finger,  or the S-Pen.

Agreed it doesn't support Samsung's handwriting-to-text option,  but seems to me it is still an advance on 'ink' notes...  :)

• Level 5
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Not sure if this was possible before,  but now - in an existing note,  go into edit and click the paperclip icon to scroll down to 'handwriting' as an option - or if you already tried this once,  look for the pen icon next to the paperclip.  You'll get a 'squared paper' backdrop on which you can write or draw with your finger,  or the S-Pen.

Well I'll be darned--I didn't think to look for it behind the paperclip icon, but there it is, and probably has been for awhile. Could be handy I imagine!

Really no change from the previous Notes. The Wacom pen designed for the Notes are around $40USD. I bought an S-Pen with eraser for around $40, over 3 years ago and still works with a few quirks on the latest Note 8. And I've dropped it countless times and it still works on my Surface Pro 2, Note 2 and Note 8. Some offset is noticeable but still works fine.

Archived