Evernote for Windows 6.8 Beta 3 Released

emerick

Idea

• Level 5

Hi folks - 

I'm filling in with this post while Chantal is away this week.  We're excited to announce Windows 6.8 Beta 3. You can install it here or by checking for updates.

This update improves the rendering of our note, and in particular the behaviors around printing, and PDF preview. It also makes the note pan-able if you have a touch screen. Since this required quite a bit of under-the-hood work, not everything is working quite right yet - you'll notice find and replace isn't hooked up, and some edge cases around drag & drop of files in and out of a note may not work. We've also made changes to paste & match style so this should now behave like it did previously. There's so much here, we did want to release what's already improved to get your feedback.

Let us know what you think and if you have any questions on the changes! 

Thanks,

Emerick and the rest of the Windows team.

---------------------------------------

Release Notes for Windows version 6.8

Note: Version 6.8 is supported in OS versions Windows 7 and up.

Improved

• We've made a number of changes to how a note is displayed. Some of the key changes include:
  • Better Print results for notes including highlighting, italics and underline and the ability to print to PDF
  • If you have a touch monitor, you can now pan notes with the swipe of a finger
  • More quickly start a bulleted list using a hyphen. In addition to using the still supported '*'+space shortcut, you can now also use '-'+space shortcut

Fixed

This release has many bug fixes. Some notable fixes include

• A fix where words selected in a note using touch caused the application to crash
  • A fix where users were unable to record audio
  • A fix where attachments dropped in notes received a temporary filename
  • A fix where replace in note (Ctrl+H) wasn't replacing text
  • A fix where a debug port was inadvertently left active

51 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Couple of editing bugs:

1. Open a new note.
  2. Type some text
  3. Select the text, and apply a different color to it
  4. Move to the beginning of the text, and press Ctrl+Shift+B to make it a bullet point
  5. The color is removed from the text

You can also apply a different typeface to the text at step 3, or select a different font size. Adding a bullet point will remove them. Also, you don't need to move to the beginning of the text. This appears to be very reproducible.

Similar problem:

1. Open a new note.
  2. Type some text
  3. Type Enter a couple of times to open up some empty lines
  4. Type some more text
  5. Select the text, and apply a different color to it
  6. Move to the empty line above the colored text.
  7. Press Ctrl+Shift+B to make it a bullet point
  8. Press Del to move the colored text to the bullet point
  9. The color is removed from the text

Not sure if this is a bug or "feature".  The way EN sorts notes when sorting by title is different in EN Windows and EN Web and IOS 8.5.1.348501 (all 3 are different from the other 2).  This has probably been there a long time.  I rarely use web, so never reported it.  The attached images show the difference.

59f73de58b929_20171030sortinENWindows6.8.3_6052.thumb.jpg.7b572e5c1fe798d4385895427107f6ef.jpg59f73dee57e43_20171030sortinENWeb.thumb.jpg.71e1ea3624da04afafed102074bc5022.jpg59f73df6280e3_20171030sortinENiOS8.5.1.348501.thumb.jpg.b4743384db60e518d6a13333fcf36002.jpg

On 10/28/2017 at 2:14 PM, gustavgi said:

Bug: When I copy a part of the text in a note that includes a code block, the code block isn't included in the following paste.

I haven't been able to recreate this, so I think I am missing a step, I tried:

• Selecting text before a code block and the full code block - copy and paste in same note & new note - no problems
  • Selecting text after a code block and the full code block - copy and paste in same note - no problems
  • Selecting text before a code block and the some text in a code block - copy and paste in same note - no problems
  • Selecting text after a code block and the some text in a code block - copy and paste in same note - no problems
  • Selecting text before and after a code block and plus the code block - copy and paste in same note - no problems
16 minutes ago, eafpres said:

Not sure if this is a bug or "feature".  The way EN sorts notes when sorting by title is different in EN Windows and EN Web and IOS 8.5.1.348501 (all 3 are different from the other 2).  This has probably been there a long time.  I rarely use web, so never reported it.  The attached images show the difference.

59f73de58b929_20171030sortinENWindows6.8.3_6052.thumb.jpg.7b572e5c1fe798d4385895427107f6ef.jpg59f73dee57e43_20171030sortinENWeb.thumb.jpg.71e1ea3624da04afafed102074bc5022.jpg59f73df6280e3_20171030sortinENiOS8.5.1.348501.thumb.jpg.b4743384db60e518d6a13333fcf36002.jpg

Interesting, I will chat with the test folks about this

• Level 5*
On 10/30/2017 at 10:59 AM, eafpres said:

Punctuation and sorting in Evernote has been a problem -- or at least inconsistent between platforms -- for a long time. I think that it not just note titles, but also tags and notebook names. I  stopped depending on that sort of thing for forcing order in lists.

I'm having an issue with beta 3 that I have seen off and on in prior versions.  I have a number of save searches.  Some of them use the modifier "any" with a list of text items.  In beta 3, these often revert to "all" when I use the shortcut to launch the search. It seems that if I use ctrl-Q and choose the search from there, it usually works.  This is very hard to reproduce.  Anyone else seeing it?

Bug: with the beta, when I open pdf in Foxit I can no longer save changes back to Evernote. If, for example, I add a bookmark and then save the pdf I am requested to save a new copy of the file to the Documents folder. 

Is anyone else seeing this? I am concerned that Evernote are trying to lock you into their pdf annotation - and force Plus customers to move to Premium.

8 hours ago, motz said:

Bug: with the beta, when I open pdf in Foxit I can no longer save changes back to Evernote. If, for example, I add a bookmark and then save the pdf I am requested to save a new copy of the file to the Documents folder. 

Is anyone else seeing this? I am concerned that Evernote are trying to lock you into their pdf annotation - and force Plus customers to move to Premium.

It worked for me. I opened Phrase Express Manual PDF that I created  by printing webpage to PDF, created my bookmarks, and by pressing Save button in Foxit Reader  the changes were saved in PDF viewer in Evernote. The only thing in my opinion that might have happened is that you used "Save As" instead of "Save".  It is very easy to confuse them. But I could be wrong.

59fb63183fd99_FoxitMenu.png.ddc9f2b32c6e1b0fc082088071f5444b.png

Speaking of creating bookmarks.There is difference in how self-created bookmarks behave in Foxit Reader and how they work in PDF Viewer in Evernote. When I click on bookmark in Foxit Reader I brought directly to the location I specified when bookmark was created. Not so in PDF viewer in Evernote. When selecting bookmark in PDF in Evernote, I am being brought near the specified location and have to scroll down to reach it. It is only applies to self-created bookmarks. The built-in bookmarks that come with rare PDF that supported it behave the same way in Reader and PDF Viewer in Evernote. Also, if PDF comes with Table of Contents, and those topics are clickable in Foxit Reader they remain clickable in Evernote. I do not know how this feature worked in previous versions of PDF viewer in Evernote since I never tried it. I can only talk about what I noticed now. 

49 minutes ago, keisoko said:

The only thing in my opinion that might have happened is that you used "Save As" instead of "Save".

Thanks for the suggestion, but I just checked and I am not making that mistake. However, I created a new pdf file in foxit saved it to Evernote then opened it, modified again and that saved the changes to Evernote. So there are a few possibilities

1. It is problem for pdfs already stored before I upgraded to the latest beta.
  2. It is a problem for big pdfs.
  3. You now need Premium to use this feature ( I have Plus)
  4. ... something else :-)

Sharing is badly broken!

I recently discovered that if you share the public link of a note from a Windows machine, another Windows machine (with a fully updated and synced Evernote client) will tell you that the public link of the same note is OFF. Moreover, if you share again the public URL of same note, the two links (which are different!) will keep living happily together.

Essentially, one machine will never know what was shared from the other, and vice versa.

They told me that this is a known issue and that they are working on a fix and that it will be fixed in an upcoming update.

Does this beta already address this problem too? This is a very urgent issue, as it makes the whole sharing utterly unreliable!

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, FactMan said:

The only thing that seems to have changed is that we now have the ability to quickly scroll through the entire pdf (much better than having to click for each page, and not being able to read it because it was so small, or off the screen). As was pointed out to me, the right click on the pdf itself gives the option to view as an attachment. If you want to have all pdfs viewed as attachments, there is still the option in the Tools/Options dialog. There is a slight adjustment in the way I work, but overall I like the improvements. Perhaps EN could do a better job of explaining _all_ of the changes - but part of that is our role as beta testers?

The main change is that the note "browser" is now using Google Chrome including the Chrome PDF viewer with its functionality built in. This is what makes touch scrolling etc. possible in 6.8. It seems like a good move, but some functionality has to be re-implemented. They have already acknowleged this in the first post of all three 6.8 betas, and that find and replace, drag-and-drop should be back soon.

Enhancement request: A back button for the pdf viewer.

I really like the new pdf viewer. It gives much better access to the pdf than the previous one. The table of contents drop down makes larger pdfs usable without opening a pdf viewer. I would like to request one enhancement. When I click on an internal link in the pdf (e.g a link to Figure 8.2) it jumps perfectly to that point, but there is no way to jump back to where I was reading. This makes internal links much less useful, because it is a lot of work to get back to where you were. You avoid using them unless you really need to. What would be really useful is a "back button" in the bar at the top of the pdf. A "forward button" would be useful as well, but just getting back to where you clicked the link is the essential feature. 

Keyboard shortcuts would also be really nice...

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, motz said:

Enhancement request: A back button for the pdf viewer.

I really like the new pdf viewer. It gives much better access to the pdf than the previous one. The table of contents drop down makes larger pdfs usable without opening a pdf viewer. I would like to request one enhancement. When I click on an internal link in the pdf (e.g a link to Figure 8.2) it jumps perfectly to that point, but there is no way to jump back to where I was reading. This makes internal links much less useful, because it is a lot of work to get back to where you were. You avoid using them unless you really need to. What would be really useful is a "back button" in the bar at the top of the pdf. A "forward button" would be useful as well, but just getting back to where you clicked the link is the essential feature. 

Agree, but since the viewer is tied in with the Chrome pdf viewer, it may be 'difficult' to get what we want - although it would be great if you could do that on the Chrome viewer as well - maybe an enhanced viewer plug-in?

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, motz said:

No help with the back to the page you left.  As far as shortcuts, what I've found is when in the PDF: 

• right arrow to go forward a page
  • left arrow to go back a page
  • page down to go down a screen
  • page up to go up a screen
  • home to go to first page
  • end to go to last page
  • click on the number in the header area to enter a page to go to.
On 10/26/2017 at 3:04 PM, HerbyDE said:

New PDF viewer: very important thing for me was drag and drop functionality with the old PDF viewer - it was very easy to "grip" the file (Hamburger symbol) and drag it outside of the Evernote note. Seems this is no more possible with the new browser like PDF viewer ...

Agree, this should be fixed.

On 25/10/2017 at 12:36 AM, emerick said:

This update improves the rendering of our note, and in particular the behaviors around printing, and PDF preview.

Let us know what you think and if you have any questions on the changes!

• Better Print results for notes including highlighting, italics and underline and the ability to print to PDF

This is a great improvement.   I write theatrical reviews in Evernote for ultimate publishing on a website where the style policy for referencing show names is in Italics.   When I printed a hard copy of Saturday's review in beta 6.8.1 yesterday I saw the familiar broken italics - but having just upgraded to the 6.8.3 beta I now get properly formatted italic characters.  Long overdue - but very welcome.

KD

A huge problem for me, that I thought was solved with the new pdf-reader, is that copy>paste often fails. I have error reported this earlier re the old version. The problem is that when you double-click a string, press ctrl+c, and then paste another place via ctrl+v. Very often, and now worse than before, the copy does not get the marked text, and you inadvertedly paste the previous copy. This is a problem that only relates to copy, pasting from Evernote pdf's. I experience this nowhere else.

I have an example right now where I can select this text and press copy, and the old clipboard item is pasted. Sometimes it helps to do the copy again, but now I have tried to do it 5 times with the same result. This simply must be solved. Please PM me if you want an example pdf

Win10
EN 6.8.3.6052

15 hours ago, CalS said:

No help with the back to the page you left.  As far as shortcuts, what I've found is when in the PDF: 

• right arrow to go forward a page
  • left arrow to go back a page
  • page down to go down a screen
  • page up to go up a screen
  • home to go to first page
  • end to go to last page
  • click on the number in the header area to enter a page to go to.

FYI - I have found that you can use all the pdf viewer keyboard shortcuts from chrome (except Crl-S). I find Ctrl-\ very useful.

Here are the shortcuts you need:

• Zoom in: CTRL++
  • Zoom out: CTRL+-
  • Toggle between Fit Width and Fit Page: CTRL+\
  • Rotate clockwise: CTRL+]
  • Rotate counter-clockwise: CTRL+[
  • Download PDF: CTRL+S
  • Print PDF: CTRL+P
  • Scroll one page up: PgUp
  • Scroll one page down: PgDn

I'm running 6.8.3.6052 (306052) Prerelease (CE Build ce-1.30.2726) and I've encountered two issues on "Pure" Text notes.

Issue 1:

I'm using the Note Window as a Text box for my Nanowrimo novel Scenes. (Thanks for the points from last year, by the way.) So after I stop typing for a moment, the Context section disappears and then reappears about sixth of a second later. (I recorded video of this happening.) The Entire note is pulled down by a few lines then pushed back up during this refresh section.

This is annoying as it happens when I am reading what just typed. 

Issue 2:

In the Live Branch (6.7.5.5825), you can zoom using the Ctrl+Mouse Wheel, as like most other apps do. This no longer works in the Beta branch: 6.8.3.6052 . I have two Computers, one running live, while the second running Beta branch. These keys work still work.

8 hours ago, motz said:
  • Zoom in: CTRL++
  • Zoom out: CTRL+-

The pdf viewer is asolutely working bad:

- Very unrealiable selection of text when copying / pasting as mentioned in earlier thread

- The bottom part of the page cannot be seen on screen - you have to open the pdf in its entirety via default pdf app

- No possibility to drag and drop pdf's into for example gmail

- A lot of space is lost due to the grey background. Why can't you expand to fit width? 

On 11/6/2017 at 3:45 PM, MikeSharpeWriter said:

I'm running 6.8.3.6052 (306052) Prerelease (CE Build ce-1.30.2726) and I've encountered two issues on "Pure" Text notes.

Issue 1:

I'm using the Note Window as a Text box for my Nanowrimo novel Scenes. (Thanks for the points from last year, by the way.) So after I stop typing for a moment, the Context section disappears and then reappears about sixth of a second later. (I recorded video of this happening.) The Entire note is pulled down by a few lines then pushed back up during this refresh section.

This is annoying as it happens when I am reading what just typed. 

Issue 2:

In the Live Branch (6.7.5.5825), you can zoom using the Ctrl+Mouse Wheel, as like most other apps do. This no longer works in the Beta branch: 6.8.3.6052 . I have two Computers, one running live, while the second running Beta branch. These keys work still work.

Can you share the video your created (or did I over look the link to it) and I'm checking in the mouse zoom issue

On 08/11/2017 at 6:34 PM, Jason Miller said:

Can you share the video your created (or did I over look the link to it) and I'm checking in the mouse zoom issue

Sadly, as it contained Clearly Visible Confidential Information, I didn't upload it, and my local copy has been deleted since I made the post.

As it's since has been a update since I posted, and the previously mentioned issues still remains on this later build (6.8.4.6134 (306134) Prerelease (CE Build ce-1.30.2933)).

I've created a Video here:

I used NVidia's Share (Formally called Shadowplay) Feature to record, which also brings up another minor yet Visible issue.

Issue 3: Prior to the latest Beta, the Green number (Which is meshed together so it Looks like a 8 with a 1 in the centre) was not present. This may be issue with Nvidia's Drivers and Nvidia's Geforce Experience thinking that Evernote is a "game" and overlays FPS counter. (I speculate that this could be a result of the updated backend showing my notes.)

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, HerbyDE said:

New PDF viewer: very important thing for me was drag and drop functionality with the old PDF viewer - it was very easy to "grip" the file (Hamburger symbol) and drag it outside of the Evernote note. Seems this is no more possible with the new browser like PDF viewer ...

I understand that the pdf viewer is a work in progress. However, I did notice that if you check the box that says always show pdf documents as attachments on the Tools/Options/Note dialog box, you can drag the pdf to your chosen definition. However, there is no right click, view file as attachment in the current version beta 3. I hope EN will bring this back ASAP.

• Ex Employees
On 10/25/2017 at 8:43 AM, korni said:

Local links stopped working (file:///.../.../) for me in Beta 3. Downgraded back to 6.7 and links work fine now.

Thanks for the report. I've merged it with our 6.8 beta 3 post. 

• Level 5*

So in the previous Beta I was dropping emails into a table and got the 'temp file name' problem,  but got the paperclip workaround from @EdH - I have a few notes with lists of emails and with the new beta now I have good news - and bad news.

Good news.  DragnDrop from the Windows desktop brings the full filename like it should.

Bad news. The email will NOT drop into a table.  Using the paperclip means it appears - not into the cell I chose with the cursor,  but the one above it.  This pic is of multiple attempts to drop the same email into a cell (the third in that list that is still empty).  Importing the attachment with the paperclip puts the email into the cell above where the cursor was.  Four separate dnd attempts are piled up below the table.  Cut and paste from within that table and the email icon winds up outside it again.  Confusing...   <_<59f0b09b46403_ScreenClip1.png.687445f453d694fc76f8f72a7bdb5d68.png

Dragging & Dropping or simple Copying of document files directly from MS Outlook into Evernote does not work. You have to move Outlook attachment documents out of Outlook first, and then Dragging & Dropping or simple Copying into Evernote will work. 

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, fchandler said:

Dragging & Dropping or simple Copying of document files directly from MS Outlook into Evernote does not work. You have to move Outlook attachment documents out of Outlook first, and then Dragging & Dropping or simple Copying into Evernote will work. 

Should have specified.  I DnD to my Windows desktop and attach,  or DnD again from there.

• Level 5*

Oops - update:  Note in my post above there's a thick grey line under the table?  This is the scroll bar because the table width is slightly more than that window.  Increase the size of the window,  and the email shows up in the right cell.  Decrease the size again,  and it pops back to the bottom.

Example 1 - narrow column 3

59f0b97a9b3f9_ScreenClip2.png.99fcec865ee348371b2a8bf6f313e941.png

Example 2 - wider column 3

59f0b97d75937_ScreenClip3.png.a315863b16958bb2e94bc08a396ba1cd.png

Weird hunh?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, korni said:

Local links stopped working (file:///.../.../) for me in Beta 3. Downgraded back to 6.7 and links work fine now.

Yeah, stopped in 6.8.2 for me, reported it there, and still doesn't in 6.8.3.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Bad news. The email will NOT drop into a table.  Using the paperclip means it appears - not into the cell I chose with the cursor,  but the one above it.

Another issue with email.  I use eM Client for email and when I drag a PDF to EN all I get is the name of the pdf as text, no attachment. 

EDIT.  Also, copy/paste does not work either from email.  Or more accurately, paste does not work since paste works fine for other apps.  Saving from eM Client to my import folder does work, but then I have to move the PDF to the right note.

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

So in the previous Beta I was dropping emails into a table and got the 'temp file name' problem,  but got the paperclip workaround from @EdH - I have a few notes with lists of emails and with the new beta now I have good news - and bad news.

Good news.  DragnDrop from the Windows desktop brings the full filename like it should.

Bad news. The email will NOT drop into a table.  Using the paperclip means it appears - not into the cell I chose with the cursor,  but the one above it.  This pic is of multiple attempts to drop the same email into a cell (the third in that list that is still empty).  Importing the attachment with the paperclip puts the email into the cell above where the cursor was.  Four separate dnd attempts are piled up below the table.  Cut and paste from within that table and the email icon winds up outside it again.  Confusing...   <_<59f0b09b46403_ScreenClip1.png.687445f453d694fc76f8f72a7bdb5d68.png

There is an issue with attachments not always ending up at the location where the cursor - currently being worked on 

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, grunicanada said:

I have to add my voice to the loss of Drag and Drop functionality for PDFs I scan a ton of PDFs that I then want to quickly attach to an email. The process was always, scan, open the note and drag the PDF straight into the email, that workflow is completely broken now. Please bring that back in the next beta.

The only thing that seems to have changed is that we now have the ability to quickly scroll through the entire pdf (much better than having to click for each page, and not being able to read it because it was so small, or off the screen). As was pointed out to me, the right click on the pdf itself gives the option to view as an attachment. If you want to have all pdfs viewed as attachments, there is still the option in the Tools/Options dialog. There is a slight adjustment in the way I work, but overall I like the improvements. Perhaps EN could do a better job of explaining _all_ of the changes - but part of that is our role as beta testers?

17 minutes ago, FactMan said:

I understand that the pdf viewer is a work in progress. However, I did notice that if you check the box that says always show pdf documents as attachments on the Tools/Options/Note dialog box, you can drag the pdf to your chosen definition. However, there is no right click, view file as attachment in the current version beta 3. I hope EN will bring this back ASAP.

"View as Attachment" option in the right-click menu only becomes available if you uncheck "Always show PDF documents as attachment".  It is either always show PDF as attachment or use "View..."  from the right-click menu. You can't have both. 

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, FactMan said:

It's still in the same context menu as "Open with" etc. You have to right click on the pdf content.

I am now running the new beta.  I recognize it is a beta there I understand why it crashes and also runs slow at times.  Will there a stable feature in the near future with many of the identified bug fixes addressed.  Also, as mentioned above, can the left hand margin be eliminated.  It is poor use of space when building notes.  

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, gustavgi said:

It's still in the same context menu as "Open with" etc. You have to right click on the pdf content.

Thank you - I must have been right-clicking on the gray area with the file name at the top of the document. D'Oh!

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, keisoko said:

"View as Attachment" option in the right-click menu only becomes available if you uncheck "Always show PDF documents as attachment".  It is either always show PDF as attachment or use "View..."  from the right-click menu. You can't have both. 

Thanks - I worked that out several years ago, so that wasn't the problem. The issue was that I wasn't controlling my mouse properly! I am now back to my normal operating status!

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, gustavgi said:

t's still in the same context menu as "Open with" etc. You have to right click on the pdf content.

True, but still more steps than with the previous controls for PDFs.  :(

• Level 5*

Feedback - in a previous update I noted that the search and replace was not working - now it is replacing, but a previously available function is not. When moving from one note to another, the search and replace strings are deleted from the S&R dialog box. Not a major disaster, but it would be good to have that functionality replaced. Thanks.

I have to add my voice to the loss of Drag and Drop functionality for PDFs I scan a ton of PDFs that I then want to quickly attach to an email. The process was always, scan, open the note and drag the PDF straight into the email, that workflow is completely broken now. Please bring that back in the next beta.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, CalS said:

True, but still more steps than with the previous controls for PDFs.  :(

He was talking about "Show as attachment", which hasn't been changed. I guess you are talking about the "Open with" feature itself.

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

He was talking about "Show as attachment", which hasn't been changed. I guess you are talking about the "Open with" feature itself.

Yup. 

Archived