Tables on iOS devices

Alessandro_Evernote

Idea

I think that Evernote should add tables on the iOS app. I am a student and I use tables a lot with my pc, so I don’t understand why I can’t use them with my iPad when I am at school. They represent an incredible way to put things in order and I think they would improve the user experience a lot. Don’t you think so? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Create a table on your PC and you can use it on your iPad.  Create a template note and copy the template to create a new note with table.  Evernote haven't yet been able to introduce a table creation feature that works in mobile,  but it is a much requested update.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, stocky2605 said:

hmm, is it possible to add / remove colomns and rows on iOS then?

Nope, you can only display and update content in pre-existing tables

As per @gazumped, I have templates set up with default tables.  I can copy these to new notes

Table creation continues to be a missing feature in IOS

I dont understand how this has not been added yet. I have seen forms dated back to 2016 and im sure probably further of people asking for this to be added to mobile and ipad devices. Please like myself paying for this service expect at leastttttt that basic features like creating a table to be available. This isnt asking for something crazy like come on. 

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, Margret said:

I’d love to use some of the new templates on my iPad (especially the to-do lists) but if the tables feature doesn’t work, then I won’t be able to use it. 

Please add table editing!

Hi.  It should be possible to create a template with tables on a desktop,  and then edit/ add to the contents if you later create a new note from that template on the mobile...

Actually you can create table in iOS Evernote by turning on the “Table” feature. Go into Evernote settings in the app: Settings —> Notes —> Advanced Editing and turn on the Table setting. You can then create a table in a note by typing open/close brackets followed by ‘x’ and the number of rows you want your table to have followed by the return button. Example:

[][][]x5

Will insert a table with 3 columns and 5 rows.

51CF6C44-F2F4-4DE1-A477-19E89B35DA86.jpeg

• Thanks 2

That’s great to know and yet, my iPad Pro is probably a better machine than my home computer (which I never use anymore) so there is really no reason why creating and editing tables, with all the different formatting features can’t be introduced into Evernote for iPad. Long gone the days where you used the iPad as a consuming content tool or whatever the first vision was. It’s the primary work tool for many of its users and tables is really a very basic tool all things considered. Please!

• Thanks 1

I agree, I’d love to see tables introduced with formatting features. I’m copying Bible verses into the table, but it’s so narrow it’s impractical, with no widening feature. Also, I’m about to buy an iPad Pro & use it as exclusively as possible apart from any other computer.

On 10/29/2017 at 4:55 AM, DTLow said:

Nope, you can only display and update content in pre-existing tables

As per @gazumped, I have templates set up with default tables.  I can copy these to new notes

Table creation continues to be a missing feature in IOS

Ah. Disappointed yet again. You can do this in Notes on the iPad. I guess I'll have to some copy the table from Evernote to Notes and use it there.

I seem to find myself going more and more to Notes lately... Sigh.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, douglerner said:

Ah. Disappointed yet again. You can do this in Notes on the iPad. I guess I'll have to some copy the table from Evernote to Notes and use it there.

I seem to find myself going more and more to Notes lately... Sigh.

I also tried to do this via Safari on my iPad. Via Safari I cannot even see existing tables!

Not an easy way but maybe this work around will help:

Turn on the “Table” feature. Go into Evernote settings in the app: Settings —> Notes —> Advanced Editing and turn on the Table setting. You can then create a table in a note by typing open/close brackets followed by ‘x’ and the number of rows you want your table to have followed by the return button. Example:

[][][]x5

Will insert a table with 3 columns and 5 rows.

• Level 5

... and if you need another row, place your cursor in the last cell (bottom right) and press the „tab“ key.

On the standard soft keyboard there is no tab key. But many external keyboards do have one, as do 3rd parts soft keyboards that can be downloaded at the AppStore. Be aware that a 3rd parts keyboard might work as a keylogger (grabbing everything you type) - so pick one witha good reputation and maybe pay a few bucks instead of using the first freebie one from a obscure developer.

For adding a column or other table structure editing (like inserting a row in between, deleting rows or columns etc.) I have not found a workaround in iOS.