Is it possible to import .enex file directly into a local notebook?

Hi. I have a large note, about >100MB note. My subscription was ended earlier and I wasn't aware I have such a note.
Now I cannot edit, sync or even tag this note. 

Moving it directly to a local notebook is not an option because that would require syncing. So I plan to:
1. Export it into .enex
2. Import it back into a local notebook

But it turned out to be not possible. I can only import note <25MB because this window will show up while I am doing the importing step.

image.png.854ecd7965298333d6ee02102d2087e1.png
Although I would like to directly import it into a local notebook (no syncing) but I can't.

The other possible solution would be:
1. Split main note (>100MB) into several smaller notes (<25MB each) ahead
2. Export into .enex
3. Import .enex back into a local notebook
But I am afraid this may consume all my quota this month. Which is totally unfair because I was trying to import into a local notebook.

Is there any other possible solution? Thanks for reading.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, kttann said:

1. Split main note (>100MB) into several smaller notes (<25MB each) ahead
2. Export into .enex
3. Import .enex back into a local notebook

Do you even need to do an export?  Why not just view the note and copy sections from the original note.

You could also

1. Export to a .html file
  2. Open the file in a web browser
  3. Copy/Paste sections into notes in a Local Notebook

Note; You can subscribe to a Plus/Premium Account for a single month.  This will give you the access levels you need to process the note

• Level 5*
On 10/20/2017 at 5:51 AM, DTLow said:

Do you even need to do an export?

You should need to, but it seems that there is a bug or design flaw in moving a Note from a Sync'd NB to a Local NB.

On 10/20/2017 at 1:23 AM, kttann said:

But it turned out to be not possible. I can only import note <25MB because this window will show up while I am doing the importing step.

Please report this a BUG.

On 10/20/2017 at 1:23 AM, kttann said:

Moving it directly to a local notebook is not an option because that would require syncing

Did you actually try this?  Since this is reducing your online storage, it should work.  If not, it is also a BUG.  Please report it.

• Level 5*
On 10/19/2017 at 11:23 PM, kttann said:

Is there any other possible solution? Thanks for reading.

You could try to drag the enex into the local notebook versus using import.  But the issue may be that the 25MB limit is by subscription type not notebook type.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, csihilling said:

But the issue may be that the 25MB limit is by subscription type not notebook type.

The limit is indeed by subscription type. See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005247-What-are-the-system-limits-of-Evernote-. This is also backed up by the limits given in the API: EDAM_NOTE_SIZE_MAX_FREE:

EDAM_NOTE_SIZE_MAX_FREE i32 26214400
Maximum total size of a Note that can be added to a Free account. The size of a note is calculated as: ENML content length (in Unicode characters) plus the sum of all resource sizes (in bytes). 

(26214400 = 25 * 1024 * 1024, or 25 megabytes)

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, csihilling said:

You could try to drag the enex into the local notebook versus using import.  But the issue may be that the 25MB limit is by subscription type not notebook type.

This would be my understanding; Basic Accounts can not create or edit a note > 25MB

However, if there are notes > 25MB; they can be viewed

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, DTLow said:

This would be my understanding; Basic Accounts can not create or edit a note > 25MB

However, if there are notes > 25MB; they can be viewed

Problematic if someone wants to downgrade to basic and edit the note.  It would seem one needs to parse the note prior to the downgrade.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I always assumed that if you can view the note,  you'd be able to save attached files / copy paste content elsewhere / print the content...

Could be, I just don't know that you can edit the note, 

The issue presented itself to me a few betas back when if you erased a note open in its own window some other seemingly random note got deleted.  I lost some notes in the process and tried to load the ENEX backup of the notebook into my basic account so as to be able to do a compare of some sort and recover the deleted notes.  I figured I would just keep it local so the multi GB size of the notebook wouldn't make any difference. 

Problem was any note over 25 MB caused the import to fail.  EN support gifted me a months premium on the account, based upon the source of the problem, so that I could do the import and compare and I got my notes back.  I didn't leave the the notebook in the basic account so I can't test it now.  Anyway....

Archived