BUG: New note with a tag I can't remove

Ever since the latest Evernote update the following bug has developed:

1. Click new note button to create a new note.
  2. A new note comes up, but instead of having no tags it already has one tag in it and this tag cannot be removed, not matter what I do.

Long time user of Evernote. Know what I'm talking about. I know normal Evernote functionality. This is not a normal. this is a bug. Please fix ASAP.

Thank you.

Windows desktop version: 6.7.5.5825 (305825)

Windows version: 10 Home latest

UPDATE: the bug occurs when you add a new note after having performed a search based on a tag. That should not happen. Just because I search something, doesn't mean I'm forced into using a tag in a new note.

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Have you tried the basics to clear caches and memory? - Log out of Evernote and back in / Log out and restart device,  then back in?  If so,  then with Windows the (relatively) easy next level is to uninstall and reinstall Evernote.

Looks like this is an actual bug. Pretty easily replicatable.

Workaround: once you add text or title to the note, and either sync or click to a different note, then back (causes an implicit sync, I believe), then you can remove the tag.

• Level 5*

Weird.  So I searched "tag:tech" and then set up a new note - no tag.  There's a setting in Evernote under Tools > Options > Note to "Assign selected tag to new notes" which might affect the situation if you're searching by selecting a tag from the left panel... ?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

"Assign selected tag to new notes"

Yes, good clarification; you need that enabled to reproduce the issue. Otherwise, your new note has no tags to not be able to delete.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Assign selected tag to new notes

I find this option helpful when downloading things or creating like notes.  Search for the like statement for example, download and inherit the tags, then copy paste to fix the title (typically change the date). 

Downside is any time you add a note with tag search in play, the new note inherits the tag search tags.

• 6 months later...

I've wrestled with this problem for about 6 months now, but understood that it was a result of having selected a tag in the left panel in the desktop app.  I would just delete the new note, click on "Notebooks", and then click on "New Note" whenever I stumbled back into this problem, e.g. navigating around my tag structure, having an idea, creating a new note, realizing it had tags that it didn't need or that were wrong for what I wanted to capture.

I finally got fed up enough to search to see if anyone else found this as bothersome as I and found this thread.  I'm happy that there is a configuration option to turn this behavior off.

I can imagine situations where having it on, though, would be helpful.   Which makes me think, is it a UX problem that there is a binary choice for how you'd like to create a new Note using the "New Note" button?

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, contributor said:

Which makes me think, is it a UX problem that there is a binary choice for how you'd like to create a new Note using the "New Note" button?

Dunno. Did you come up with an answer?

Myself, I have it turned off, and I tag by hand. That probably should be the default, since the alternative can be confusing (hence this topic). For others who understand the option, they can use it to good effect by selecting a tag or tags and creating a new note, and have it be tagged as such...

Archived