Evernote for Mac 6.13 Beta 3 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi all - 

Today we're announcing 6.13 Beta 3 - get it here or check for updates in your app. This release has additional bug and crash fixes to our Beta 2 including some alignment tweaks in the note list.  Let us know if you spot any issues with Beta 3, we're just around the corner on our GA! 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac team 

6.13 and app updates going forwards will be supported on OS X El Capitan (10.11) and above

Improved

• Sharing: consolidated share options under the "Share" button in Evernote. Share a note, choose to create a public link or modify share permissions all from one place. 
  • Navigation and Commanding UI: we've made some adjustments to provide more space for your content using a narrower toolbar, and making some tweaks to the sidebar to improve legibility. We've also improved the Move Note dialog to make it even faster to move a note across accounts by listing all notebooks from both your business and personal accounts directly in the dialog. 

Fixed
We fixed many issues in this release, here are some of the notable issues addressed. 

• Fixed an issue where notebooks are sometimes duplicated on upgrade
  • Fixed several crashes including intermittent issues around moving notes, app launch, and on PDF annotation
  • Fixed an issue where the Evernote app window sometimes appears black when in full screen mode

--------------

Screenshots

Simplified user interface with a more minimal toolbar 

image.thumb.png.14fb459dad0fd8298c4dc4f3263b4a4d.png 

Improved sharing dialog 

image.thumb.png.6e44be5c0f6f0e33a20b1cc07b5b3937.png

39 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Caractacus said:

Frankly, this is outrageous. Forcing unwelcome UI changes on paying customers

We are not forced to install the v12 upgrade.  If you’re happier using the v11 version, use that instead

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Simplify Formating: We've made a choice to simplify content including code blocks. I'd be curious to hear about your use case is for simplifying code blocks. 

I don't understand what this means.  Could you please provide details and an example?

Please be very careful with what you are doing with Simplify formatting.  I need to use that with about 50-60% of all web clips I do, so please don't break it or make it less capable.  The balance you have struck with it in Ver 6.11.1 is about right.  Why change it?

16 hours ago, Vincent Noel said:

Maybe you guys already know, but in beta 3 when I'm in "All Notes" I get this "subscribe to reminders" alert on top of my reminders list.

59e7084de6a5c_ScreenShot2017-10-18at09_49_36.png.9ff725c9976777cfed7f89fe962c4e1e.png

I try to dismiss the dialog by clicking "Yes" but nothing happens, the dialog remains in place. I still can hide the list of reminders all right. I do not see this dialog in the reminders list of specific notebooks. I also see this dialog when I'm in search results that contain reminders.

Experiencing exactly the same issue here. Don't understand how this did not get caught on the radar.

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

We are not forced to install the v12 upgrade.  If you’re happier using the v11 version, use that instead

This isn't a viable solution in the long-term. It makes no sense to run outdated software, especially since the Evernote database itself was "upgraded" in the 6.12 release. 

15 hours ago, Caractacus said:

Frankly, this is outrageous. Forcing unwelcome UI changes on paying customers is a fantastic way to lose business. The single-colum list view you imposed without warning completely ruined at a stroke the way many people have come to use Evernote notebooks. Perhaps your devs thought the whole visual paradigm was just embarrassingly old-school and deserved to go but it was far more accessible than the cumbersome replacement, which doesn't allow for all notebook stacks to be viewed on the screen at once. Swift workflow achieved through long-term muscle and visual memory was destroyed without warning or consultation. At one point, Evernote was the only viable choice. Certain things like searching for text within uploaded photos still just about keeps you there but you will start losing customers very swiftly indeed if you continue to treat them this way. In short, don't expect any commercial loyalty from long-term users if you decide to mess with their working day. Time is money.

Agreed. I also find it comical that in the 6.13 beta notes, they mention making changes in the form of a "narrower toolbar" and "changes to the sidebar" in order to "provide more space for your content". Removing the grid view and forcing users into a single list view adds so much visual clutter. If they're really concerned about providing more space for content, then bring the grid view back. A narrower toolbar isn't going to fix the problem that was created by killing the grid view. What a joke. 

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, janstet said:

This isn't a viable solution in the long-term. It makes no sense to run outdated software, 

Depends on your definition of long term.  I think holding off on the upgrade will buy some  time while Evernote works out issues with bugs and feature changes

>>especially since the Evernote database itself was "upgraded" in the 6.12 release

I’d advise downgrading your database to if you downgrade the software.  I accomplish this by deleting the database and the software rebuilds from the servers.  Warning; the rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsuncd Notes 

13 hours ago, Old Timekeeper said:

Experiencing exactly the same issue here. Don't understand how this did not get caught on the radar.

Thanks for reporting. This has been resolved already. The next update will contain the fix. 

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Fixed
We fixed many issues in this release, here are some of the notable issues addressed. 

Looks like you have NOT fixed the sync issue:

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm getting a daily conflicting notebook/note at 7am

I'm in bed, just getting up but I have an ifttt script updating my journal note with a weather report
This is sync'd to my Mac, and it's doing some processing and generating it's own conflict

I am a user of Evernote with a Mac, Mac OS macOS 10.12.5  Version 6.13 Beta 3 (455627 Direct)

• Level 5
19 hours ago, rkapurple said:

The removal of more visual views (with photos / grid) on iOS and now Mac is indeed a retrograde step for long term customers who might have long ago bought into the ‘remember everything’ mantra. This might have resulted in customers using Evernote as a complete life journal. Both of exisiting events, and with the edit create date feature events from the past. This could have included huge numbers of photos in notes. 

Just to be clear, no views have been removed from the note list. You can still browse your notes in Card view or Snippet view.

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, Joe F said:

Please bring back drag and drop of images from a note to the desktop, which was available in previous releases of Evernote for Mac. 

You can drag and drop images from the image galery (implemented in v6.12)

New image gallery!
Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

On 10/18/2017 at 8:15 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Out of respect for Evernote, and to provide us with a central location to discuss ZoHo, why don't you start a new topic in the Third Party Application Discussions  forum?

Respect. Hmm how ironic. You mean the type of respect the users were given when EN yanked a fundamental navigation tool out from under the user. No warning, no choice. Basically, Evernote just flipped us the bird and said "No grid view for you". RESPECT - yeah you're funny.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, SMX-CT said:

You mean the type of respect the users were given when EN yanked a fundamental navigation tool out from under the user. No warning, no choice. Basically, Evernote just flipped us the bird and said "No grid view for you".

I don't see any disrespect on Evernote's part.  They made a design decision, perhaps a bad one, but one they thought was correct at the moment. 

OTOH, you are being disrespectful.  If you want respect from others, then you must show them respect, even if they don't at first.  Don't confuse disagreements or differences of opinion with respect.  Unfortunately, that seems to be what is happening today all over the world.

If you disagree with Evernote's design decisions (which I sometimes do), then tell them, tell us,  that you do, and why.  Tell all what problems their design decisions cause you, how it impacts your workflow.  Unfortunately, you may have to repeat, or restate, or clarify your issues from time-to-time, before a change is made that you want.  Sometimes, you may have to wait a long time.  Sometimes you may never get the change you want.  Then you have a decision, as we all do, either accept the current design, or switch to a product that provides the design you want.

IAC, please be respectful to your fellow users, and post your off-topic discussions elsewhere.

Thanks.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I don't see any disrespect on Evernote's part.  They made a design decision

I agree, design decisions are not an indication of disrespect.

I do find it disrespectful to not notify users of these changes.  Looking at the summary in the v12 release notice, I see  no mention of the change to the notebook view

In recent IOS releases, the post was upfront about listing features being removed

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, janstet said:

Can anyone verify if the "note list going blank" issue has been fixed in this update?

The “note list going blank” issue is still outstanding

You can see a summary of the changes in the first post of the discussion

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

This release has additional bugs and crash fixes to our Beta 2 including some alignment tweaks in the note list.

Thanks for the bug fixes -- always my favorite part of a release.

10 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Sharing: consolidated share options under the "Share" button in Evernote. Share a note, choose to create a public link or modify share permissions all from one place. 

I like the idea, but your screenshot still doesn't show all sharing options, and requires a click at the bottom for "more..."

My I  suggest that you first present a list of ALL sharing options, and if the user clicks on one option, it expands to provide the necessary UI.
You could then show that option expanded the next time the user invokes "Sharing".  This way, whatever sharing option the user uses the most will be immediately available.  Also, please provide keyboard shortcuts for all of the options.

15 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Simplified user interface with a more minimal toolbar 

It would be more helpful if you showed a screenshot of the main editing window.  Please do not over-minimalize the screen without providing preference/option to set how it would appear.  I know many users appear to have ADHD these days, and seem to be distracted by anything. :(  But there are still lots of us that prefer to see a full toolbar, so we know immediately what is available, and is easy to click on any toolbar button.  Of course, you should also provide shortcuts for all toolbar buttons.

Thanks.

• Level 5
26 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

It would be more helpful if you showed a screenshot of the main editing window.  Please do not over-minimalize the screen without providing preference/option to set how it would appear.  I know many users appear to have ADHD these days, and seem to be distracted by anything. :(  But there are still lots of us that prefer to see a full toolbar, so we know immediately what is available, and is easy to click on any toolbar button.  Of course, you should also provide shortcuts for all toolbar buttons.

The main app toolbar is what has been simplified; It remains customizable, and is fully visible in the screenshot. The editing toolbar has not changed.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Adjusting said:

The main app toolbar is what has been simplified; It remains customizable,

OK, that is good.  Thanks for the clarification.  So, I could still move the Search box over to the left side of the window, if I want, correct?

3 hours ago, janstet said:

Are there plans to bring the grid view back moving forward? A simple yes or no answer would be much appreciated. Not sure why the development team is avoiding this.

Not for the 6.13 release, but something we may consider in the future. 

3 hours ago, janstet said:

Are there plans to bring the grid view back moving forward? A simple yes or no answer would be much appreciated. Not sure why the development team is avoiding this.

Ha, Ha, Ha. That is RICH!!!!! You can't have your grid view. Nya, Nya, Nya, Nya Nya Nya.  Why even bother with this ***** software that basically flips the bird to it's customers. I've never seen such disrespect.  I am sooooooo over Evernote it's not funny. Do yourself a favor and git yourself onto ZoHo notebook pronto. You can thank me later. Sheeesh.

49 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Thanks for the update on the grid view issue. 

Can anyone verify if the "note list going blank" issue has been fixed in this update?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Toph said:

The Sync button always shows a red exclamation mark for me, despite no discernible error having occurred, and I can't figure out why.

I’d want to follow up on this (red mark on sync icon).  You might see something in the activity log

43 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The “note list going blank” issue is still outstanding

You can see a summary of the changes in the first post of the discussion

I saw the summary of changes in the first post of the discussion. It didn't mention anything about the "note list going blank" issue being fixed, which is why I asked about it in this thread...

48 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

Any Bugs fixed???  Tables, Code Block, Blank note list, Simplify Formatting, File Links.... ??? Evernote management is asleep at the wheel.  "narrower toolbar" ... are you kidding me? Who cares... fix the damn bugs!  Jesus, unbelievable.  Why do we even report the bugs? Farting into the wind.

Agreed. I'd much rather have some of these bugs fixed than a narrower toolbar or smaller sidebar font. 

Maybe you guys already know, but in beta 3 when I'm in "All Notes" I get this "subscribe to reminders" alert on top of my reminders list.

59e7084de6a5c_ScreenShot2017-10-18at09_49_36.png.9ff725c9976777cfed7f89fe962c4e1e.png

I try to dismiss the dialog by clicking "Yes" but nothing happens, the dialog remains in place. I still can hide the list of reminders all right. I do not see this dialog in the reminders list of specific notebooks. I also see this dialog when I'm in search results that contain reminders.

Bug in this beta 3:

When All Notes is selected this pane appears above Reminders:

Reminders.png.193958c8edd3ea0167e75929dbdbb61c.png

The pane cannot be dismissed by clicking on either Yes or No, or by hitting Enter.

When a single notebook is selected, Reminders are listed as normal, without the pane above them. But as soon as I return to All Notes the pane reappears and refuses to go away.

Tried restarting EN a couple of times, to no avail.

EDIT: Ha! Vincent Noel just beat me to it. But it's good, or not, to know other users are experiencing this bug.

8 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Frankly, this is outrageous. Forcing unwelcome UI changes on paying customers is a fantastic way to lose business. The single-colum list view you imposed without warning completely ruined at a stroke the way many people have come to use Evernote notebooks. Perhaps your devs thought the whole visual paradigm was just embarrassingly old-school and deserved to go but it was far more accessible than the cumbersome replacement, which doesn't allow for all notebook stacks to be viewed on the screen at once. Swift workflow achieved through long-term muscle and visual memory was destroyed without warning or consultation. At one point, Evernote was the only viable choice. Certain things like searching for text within uploaded photos still just about keeps you there but you will start losing customers very swiftly indeed if you continue to treat them this way. In short, don't expect any commercial loyalty from long-term users if you decide to mess with their working day. Time is money.

20 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

Any Bugs fixed???  Tables, Code Block, Blank note list, Simplify Formatting, File Links.... ??? Evernote management is asleep at the wheel.  "narrower toolbar" ... are you kidding me? Who cares... fix the damn bugs!  Jesus, unbelievable.  Why do we even report the bugs? Farting into the wind.

Thanks for catching the typo, this should've read 'bug and crash fixes'. Every release we have included bug and stability fixes. We mention the key ones in our release notes. In terms of the specific ones you're curious about. 

• Tables: Simplify Formating: The dev team is aware and investigating 
  • Code Blocks: Semi-colons no longer get added, we're tracking the issue with URLs being added 
  • Simplify Formating: We've made a choice to simplify content including code blocks. I'd be curious to hear about your use case is for simplifying code blocks. 
  • File links: thanks for reporting!  

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:
  • Tables: Simplify Formating: The dev team is aware and investigating 
  • Code Blocks: Semi-colons no longer get added, we're tracking the issue with URLs being added 
  • Simplify Formating: We've made a choice to simplify content including code blocks. I'd be curious to hear about your use case is for simplifying code blocks. 
  • File links: thanks for reporting!  

Code Blocks- it's not just the overly-aggressive URL creation. There are issues with the cursor jumping around within the codeblock, with extra HTML entities (gremlins) getting created (hurts copy & paste), fonts getting mysteriously styled within a block (shrinking font size, or text reverting to "Times New Roman"), the list goes on.  There are dozens of little bugs and glitches with the codeblock handling. Anyone who actually uses them for more than a few minutes will notice them immediately, which is why I wish the EN devs would dogfood their own product instead of handing us c.rap and using paying customers as beta testers.

Simplify Formatting- "Simplify" vs "Remove". If you guys are treating Simplify Formatting as Remove Formatting then name it Remove Formatting and get rid of the duplicate "Make Plain Text" menu item which I guess serves no purpose. My "use case" is that in a note with mixed content (some text of varying sizes, some code blocks, some highlighted parts) it is extremely tedious to have to go and select each individual block of text to re-format it. But sometimes you have to copy+paste something from the web that has all kinds of nightmarish formatting in it.  That's what Simplify Formatting was supposed to solve. Here's a simple example:

before.png.eda64ad9e94c193f3fc956d5bc1eda28.png

after.png.dada6e285c3684b12b257ff0f0af5a20.png

Why does it have to strip away the code blocks, mess up the table, remove the highlight? I can understand changing all the Fonts to my default Font Face + Size (good) but everything else is just wrong.  The way I get around this now is I make a NEW note, paste my formtted stuff in, run Simplify, and then copy it again, paste it into the actual note I wanted to add it to, then finally delete the temporary note.  It's all very cumbersome.  If I wanted everything turned into plain text, I would select that option.

In general, I like the newer simplified toolbar. However, I have some issues with the actual buttons themselves.

• The Back and Forward buttons on the left look weird as separate buttons — shouldn't they be a joined pair (like Safari, Finder, etc.)?
  • The Sync button always shows a red exclamation mark for me, despite no discernible error having occurred, and I can't figure out why.
  • The Notification icon (the bell) is super low-res and looks out of place — but perhaps it's just a placeholder.

59e7886ce6a4f_ScreenShot2017-10-18at12_57_48PM.thumb.png.21a36464f539e09419de46de49bbfe29.png

Archived