How can I see Pdfs inline?

I have tons of Pdfs in Evernote.  On my Mac (& Windows machine) it never was an issue, as there‘s an option to to switch between inline view and attachment view.

On iOS (& Android) I can‘t find this option.  Drives me crazy as it brakes down my complete workflow.

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-17 at 2:13 AM, dr3do said:

On iOS (& Android) I can‘t find this option.  Drives me crazy as it brakes down my complete workflow.

There is no inline view on IOS (except for images).  I think it's more of an OS/device restriction

15 hours ago, DTLow said:

There is no inline view on IOS (except for images).  I think it's more of an OS/device restriction

Thanks for you answer. I‘m not sure if it‘s an limitation of iOS. There are Apps which shows the content of Pdfs without the need to open them.

On 10/26/2017 at 2:43 AM, DTLow said:

Do you have any examples?

AFAIR OneNote, Dropbox, Apple Note and several Note taking apps (like GoodNote, Notability)… and I guess there are many more. Some only show the first page, others the full Pdf. Only Evernote shows just an icon (even with offline Notebook). *****. Brakes my hole whole workflow.

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-19 at 5:14 AM, dr3do said:

There are Apps which shows the content of Pdfs without the need to open them....OneNote, Dropbox, Apple Note and several Note taking apps (like GoodNote, Notability)

It's a feature that files of any format can be attached to a note in Evernote.  The files are stored unaltered; the note itself is stored in .enml format (html based)

I am familiar with Notability.  While you can import pdfs, the file is not stored unaltered.  Notability does not store pdf file attachments; it converts them to .note format  (proprietary)

For an IOS inline view in Evernote.  

• You can convert your pdf text content by copy/pasting into the note
  • You can convert your  pdf to an image.  These display inline

52 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It's a feature that files of any format can be attached to a note in Evernote.  The files are stored unaltered; the note itself is stored in .enml format (html based)

Thanks for the explanation. If like to store files (the proper way) I save them as files and handle them via "file manager". Nonetheless it's a good feature to have it; some people may like that, some not. Always good to have a/the choice.

52 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I am familiar with Notability.  While you can import pdfs, the file is not stored unaltered.  Notability can not store pdf file attachments.  It can only convert them to Note format

I know that. That's perfectly fine for me. As long as I can see it inline in Evernote… it would work for me

51 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You can convert your pdf text content by copy/pasting into the note

Unfortunately this is not an option, as the Pdfs contain markups (by hand, visual stuff, annotations and so on). Often they are very similar or version/iterations, but usually visually very easy to recognise with a blink of an eye. While scrolling through the note I immediately now which one I have to pick.

56 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You can convert your  pdf to an image

Theoretically, yes. One page documents can work ok-ish, but multi page documents definitely. Blown up file size and multiple file handling becomes an issue, there too. Most of my document scans which have a very small size because of "Clear Scan" (http://blogs.adobe.com/acrolaw/2009/05/better_pdf_ocr_clearscan_is_smal/).

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, dr3do said:

Thanks for the explanation. If like to store files (the proper way) I save them as files and handle them via "file manager". Nonetheless it's a good feature to have it; some people may like that, some not. Always good to have a/the choice.

Confused, if you like to store files with a file manager, why the PDFs in EN?  Anywat, EN does not have the functionality to show PDFs inline on IOS.  Not sure if there is a feature request to up-vote relative to this.

Firstly, I‘m not a native english speaker, so it always takes me time/effort to write in english and my wording will unfortunately differ from yours. Secondly, I don‘t have the mood for discussion the „finiky style“, so I hope your answer had not the intention just to put me into a bad light.

6 hours ago, CalS said:

Confused, if you like to store files with a file manager

I didn‘t say that I like/prefer to store files with a file manager. In some use cases it‘s just the only option, as files can have extended attributes, which only can be preserved, when stored on an file system, that supports it. So every file, which has been saved into Evernote, *is* altered, as Evernote, at least for my knowledge, can’t handle extended attributes.

For EN it would be easy to make it possible, that PDFs are rendered inline – even only optional (for those users who like that and maybe only when using offline notebooks). PDFs are for a good reason widely spread good to handle.

6 hours ago, CalS said:

why the PDFs in EN?

In my use case (at least for PDFs)……it‘s good enough to have the altered always files with me. I need the „working copies“ on the go.

A „working copy“ can be many iterations (v1, v1.1, v2, v2.1, v3, v3.1 and so on) of a document, a scan (of an original, which always remains „in the shelf“) which then contains hand-made or digtal-made annotations, a digital copy or a result of it’s digital process or just a scan for reference.

At the end of the day… I need those documents on the go, so I can work with on the go. I can‘t (and won’t) take my clunky/heavy/expensive laptop with me, but the iPad (10.5“ with cellular) works perfect in my scenario. Only EN does not work (like expected).

6 hours ago, CalS said:

Not sure if there is a feature request to up-vote relative to this.

Thanks. I‘ll look for it.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, dr3do said:

Firstly, I‘m not a native english speaker, so it always takes me time/effort to write in english and my wording will unfortunately differ from yours. Secondly, I don‘t have the mood for discussion the „finiky style“, so I hope your answer had not the intention just to put me into a bad light.

No intention of putting you in a bad light, I just wasn't tracking the previous post.  No doubt just the wording. I'll chalk finicky up to wording as well   :)

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, dr3do said:

So every file, which has been saved into Evernote, *is* altered, as Evernote, at least for my knowledge, can’t handle extended attributes.

We've gone off topic; Inline View, which is also important to me.  The best I've seen is on the Mac platform 

Can you explain how the files are "altered".  Granted, they are embedded within the Evernote database but I consider it important that  I can retrieve these files in the original form

On 10/26/2017 at 2:43 AM, DTLow said:

Do you have any examples?

Found another one… PDF Expert and Documents can show a preview/thumbnail of documents, which helps with navigation/handling very much.

171108102656.png

On 11/2/2017 at 1:34 PM, DTLow said:

We've gone off topic; Inline View, which is also important to me.  The best I've seen is on the Mac platform 

Can you explain how the files are "altered".  Granted, they are embedded within the Evernote database but I consider it important that  I can retrieve these files in the original form

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_file_attributes

https://github.com/n8gray/Backup-Bouncer

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, dr3do said:

Found another one… PDF Expert and Documents can show a preview/thumbnail of documents, which helps with navigation/handling very much.

Looks kind of like card view in Evernote.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
On 2017-10-19 at 5:14 AM, dr3do said:

There are Apps which shows the content of Pdfs without the need to open them.

I'm looking at Devonthink features which include inline display of PDFs

• 11 months later...
On 11/8/2017 at 5:33 PM, dr3do said:

171108102656.png

The latest iteration of Evernote for iOS has removed PDF preview thumbnails, which really disrupts the experience. At least the previous version had fuzzy images, which were enough to allow me to recognise note contents in card view.

I'll put in a feature request for inline PDFs, similar to Readdle apps, as well.

11 minutes ago, Vincent Wong said:

I'll put in a feature request for inline PDFs, similar to Readdle apps, as well.

Best of luck with that. 💪

(I was since October 2009 a paid member, but eventually stopped using Evernote.)

Archived