iOS client has become very slow for displaying pdfs within notes

On iOS it takes very long to display embedded pdf files that are stored within notes. I'm a premium user, and the notebooks are available offline.

When I tap on the pdf file within the note it seems that Evernote is trying to download another copy over the web. I get the spinning sun-dial BOTH inside the note AND in the top bar, right beside the WiFi signal icon.

As I said -- it takes tens of seconds to finally get the icon of the pdf file to be displayed inside the note. Tapping that icon (rectangle with rounded corners) displays the pdf, instantly.

I just discovered that if I switch to Airplane mode, the behavior changes dramatically. Since the notebook is stored for offline, the rectangle icons inside the notes display instantly, and display at once when tapped.

So why or what does Evernote have to check and why does this take so long? Is it trying to see if the note was changed in the online database? Even if so, that operation should be handled much more efficiently.

Anybody have the same problem? This is not a problem for the other clients I use Evernote on, i.e. on Windows 10 and on macOS.

iOS version = 11.0.2

Evernote version (latest from app store) = 8.4.1

Archived