Due to the restrictions set by the browser, you cannot clip this page

OBL

I have installed the Evernote Webclipper App but get this prompt when trying to activate it:

Have looked over Settings but not found where I can configure the settings to make it work?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  Hadn't realised it before but Firefox's Add-on pages are immune to clipping  I get the same result.  There's even another add-on called Firefox Screenshots which normally does exactly what it says on the can,  but that gives a similar message  - 'This isn't a normal web page.. unable to screenshot'

You'll be able to copy sections of the page and paste into a new note,  or take a Windows screenshot of the visible area,  but that's about it...  :(

• 2 months later...

Linux KDE Neon using Chromium browser. I installed the "pop-up as tab" extension to overcome the inability to clip popup windows (for whatever reason that escapes me, my bank likes to provide reports in insecure popup windows that I normally block because they can bypass the protection provided by browser extensions). The extension converts all popup windows into tabs that are protected by my security extensions, and that can be clipped by Evernote. After I installed this extension, I attempted to clip the chrome webstore page to save the documentation of how this extension works, and I got the error message copied below:

Chromium Version 63.0.3239.84 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on neon 16.04 (64-bit)
Evernote Web Clipper Version: 6.13.1 Updated: December 15, 2017 Size: 3.79MiB

I tried to check the page source code, but I could not find anything in the HTML code to explain why the page could not be clipped. This is an image of the page. 

Spectacle.L26565.png

I was able to resolve this.

I have No-Script installed and I allowed zen desk related stuff (zdassets etc). Not sure if that was related to Evernote or Evernote web clipper though, or just the related to the pages I currently had open.

The other thing I did was allow third party cookies, then checked all the Evernote-related hosts. (Note the first one starts with a . ) Then I saved those changes, and re-enabled Blocking Third-Party Cookies.

image.png.00df601847113ceb5a8e0096e63d12f8.png

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 12/10/2017 at 10:47 PM, OBL said:

I have installed the Evernote Webclipper App but get this prompt when trying to activate it:

Have looked over Settings but not found where I can configure the settings to make it work?

Browsers (like Chrome) often restrict us from enabling Extensions on their extensions / settings / application store pages. Please navigate to any non-settings page and you should be able to start clipping.

• 2 months later...
On 2/15/2018 at 2:10 AM, Kati said:

Browsers (like Chrome) often restrict us from enabling Extensions on their extensions / settings / application store pages. Please navigate to any non-settings page and you should be able to start clipping.

I have this problem as well. How do I know what is a non-settings page?

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, jamcgovern said:

I have this problem as well. How do I know what is a non-settings page?

If you can clip the page,  it's a non-settings page.  Also if you got there through a standard URL rather than going through your browser's menu.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone, 

Even I have the same problem. I want to open an offline video in my computer using chrome browser and  clip the page but can't do so. I tried the above steps but still it displays "Due to the restrictions set by the browser, you cannot clip this page. ". Please help me. 

ever.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have never posted before, so, consider that in regard to this response.  

I encountered the problem as described above using chrome.  I downloaded a bank statement, went to the download page in Chrome and the only options inculded using WebClipper.  As noted above, I got the message saying that "Due to..."?  I found, though, that if I just clicked on the view in file link, that I could right click on the file and use "Send to" to send the file to Evernote.  Seemed to work fine for me.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 1/4/2019 at 6:34 PM, rpwilt said:

I downloaded a bank statement, went to the download page in Chrome and the only options inculded using WebClipper

Hi.  As was already posted,  some web pages are fussy about what they allow on their page - I can imagine a Bank would be unhappy about a third-party application like Evernote leaning in to steal a customer's information.  I always save the PDF files my statements come in to my system,  and then attach them to my notes.  Clipper isn't always effective on web pages - just most of the time.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 1/7/2019 at 7:14 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  As was already posted,  some web pages are fussy about what they allow on their page - I can imagine a Bank would be unhappy about a third-party application like Evernote leaning in to steal a customer's information.  I always save the PDF files my statements come in to my system,  and then attach them to my notes.  Clipper isn't always effective on web pages - just most of the time.

The topic of discussion is X function not working as expected, i think side discussions that doesnt directly correlate to that one specific topic is a misuse for evernote discussions platform.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5

Yes - get yourself a choice of browsers, and if clipping does not work with one, try another.

Sorry, but this has to do more with the browsers and their restrictions, than with EN. Usually if it does not work on one browser, it works with another.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Suncat2000 said:

what settings is Evernote Clipper complaining about

The browser has refused permission to an external app to copy the page

7 hours ago, Suncat2000 said:

what do I need to change to make it work

Find a different way to copy the content

On 10/18/2017 at 2:09 PM, gazumped said:

You'll be able to copy sections of the page and paste into a new note,  or take a Windows screenshot of the visible area,  but that's about it...

• Evernote Expert
20 hours ago, Suncat2000 said:

Everybody is "beating about the bush" here. Let's rephrase: what settings is Evernote Clipper complaining about and what do I need to change to make it work?

Welcome to this thread which is over a year old ;)

The browser and the website producers make security decisions which prevent clipping under some situations. An example, I cannot clip on screens inside my bank's website. Nothing to do with Evernote web clipper, not even the browser but, in this case, the bank's website design. I can capture a screen dump or expert using the bank's options and import into a note.

• Level 5

2 options:

Evernote helper on desktop has options for crosshairs, window or screen shots, that will be placed into a new note.

On iOS the screenshot tool does allow to grab an image of a complete website (if it is not extremely long, there is a pdf restriction) as a very long pdf file. It can be directly shared into EN as a new note.