Easy Automation

DraggingCanoe

Idea

I'd like an easy way to automate evernote. Example automations I'd like to write at things like: 

• add a daily diary page with customizable content (like a list of things to do)
  • when I create a note with tag "foo", create a second note with a title based on the original one
  • etc.

I've tried the evernote api but haven't been able to get Oauth to work (I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but that stuff is seriously complicated). If the Evernote engine contained a python interpreter and a way to attach a script to a page so that it would be run on user-specifiable triggers (time of day, page open, page create, etc.), I think that would fill the bill.

5 replies to this idea

On 2017/10/12 at 6:32 PM, DraggingCanoe said:

I'd like an easy way to automate evernote. Example automations I'd like to write at things like: 

• add a daily diary page with customizable content (like a list of things to do)
  • when I create a note with tag "foo", create a second note with a title based on the original one
  • etc.

I've tried the evernote api but haven't been able to get Oauth to work (I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but that stuff is seriously complicated). If the Evernote engine contained a python interpreter and a way to attach a script to a page so that it would be run on user-specifiable triggers (time of day, page open, page create, etc.), I think that would fill the bill.

I assume you were using Python script to do the OAuth. I was doing something similar earlier and it is totally a doable thing I can assure you. Here is the code I used for OAuth. It's not originally written by me.

There is also a StackOverflow tag "Evernote" LINK. It really helped me a lot while developing my own scripts.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, kttann said:

I'd like an easy way to automate evernote

To automate my Evernote, I’m using Applescript on a Mac

Not a complete development platform, but no  OAuth required

6 hours ago, kttann said:

I assume you were using Python script to do the OAuth. I was doing something similar earlier and it is totally a doable thing I can assure you. Here is the code I used for OAuth. It's not originally written by me.

There is also a StackOverflow tag "Evernote" LINK. It really helped me a lot while developing my own scripts.

Cool! Thank you so much. Yes, I would like to be able to access my notes with python, so I appreciate the references. I'm using Applescript at the moment but I find Python much more straight-forward so I'd prefer to work in it.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

To automate my Evernote, I’m using Applescript on a Mac

Not a complete development platform, but no  OAuth required

15 minutes ago, DraggingCanoe said:

Yes, thanks! After posting my request, I discovered Applescript and have been making progress with it.

There is also a big advantage automating with Applescript if you intend to make a bunch of actions.
The API call rate limit in the production environment is astonishingly low. And there is no batch-like operation in the API either.
AFAIK Applescript doesn't really make requests to the API server, so there is no rate limit concern.

Archived