include: PHOTO METADATA for each picture added to a note

OneDrop

Idea

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Evernote imports the photo file as an attachment to the note
So, the metadata is available for display
Currently, I have to use an external program to display this information

I'm not sure I'd want Evernote to display the info for each photo; only on demand

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

So, the metadata is available for display
Currently, I have to use an external program to display this information

Thanks for sharing that, @DTLow.  I was under the erroneous impression that the metadata was lost.

Would you mind sharing what program you use, and how you get the metadata?
Thanks.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Would you mind sharing what program you use, and how you get the metadata?

Here's an example from my Mac59de799e0957d_ScreenShot2017-10-11at13_05_07.png.749c6b705b900faf8417a4bb19f8e7d7.png

1. Starting with the picture in a note
  2. open the picture in the Preview app
  3. select Preview > Tools > Show Inspector
  4. open Exif tab

On my iPad, I use the ViewEXIF app59de79a27b2bf_ScreenShot2017-10-11at13_05_22.png.412535f16dccda074ad9fbda37c15365.png

• Like 1

Hi, folks!
Why photos taken directly from the Evernote app (iOS) does not keep the EXIF photo info? I mean, I need to take a picture by using the photo app and after that share to Evernote app... 

IMHO, there are a lot of unnecessary steps here...
Any hints on this? 

Thanks a lot!

• Level 5

Yes, probably because EN is not meant to be a prime target of photo storage. There are programs better suited for this task.

This does not mean that the EXIF data would be lost. I shared a picture on my iPad from the camera roll into EN, synced the note to the server and to my Mac, and opened this photo there from EN with a photo editing program. There I exported the EXIF data.

The EXIF data was kept as in the original photo. So it is still there, you can just not see or edit it in EN.

EN behaves like this with many programs: It serves by offering notes as containers that can hold all kind of information and attachments. But it is not build to manipulate the thousands of file formats that are around. For this, you need a better suited program. After that you can save it back to EN.

Hi, @PinkElephant.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Well, as you've written, "EN behaves like this with many programs: It serves by offering notes as containers that can hold all kinds of information and attachments"... 
So, why not store the photo with this metadata? I agree that their primary use is not a photo manager, but we ended up using it to save a lot of information, which includes, for example, photos... 

But, anyway, I hope EN stop removing this information from photos taken directly by the EN app... 
Regards.

• Level 5

As I said, EN stores the EXIF data with the picture, when the picture provides them. It is not stripping them, they are all there when the picture is attached to a note.

I then ran another test: When I use the the iPhones camera directly inside of a note to take a picture, it will generate EXIF data as well. But much less so compared with pictures taken with the main camera app. One reason may be that some of the EXIF information is stored with the note itself, like the location where the note was created. It may be that this is mainly because EN uses the iPhones camera as a document scanner, not to take „real“ pictures. In documents most people prefer less metadata, because it gives away information you may not want to be send with the scanned document.

So the data is not taken away, it’s not generated when the camera is use to scan stuff. If you want pictures that have everything (think about advanced picture information like depth information, live pictures and Deep Fusion Processing ) you need to use the camera app of the iPhone, and send the pictures into EN later.