Error when opening attachments

I get the attached message sometimes when opening attached word documents in evernote. It seems to happen nearly 50% of my attempts to open attachments. That is, the same document could open at the first attempt, but if I close the document and try 5 seconds it later I could get the error message.  Does anyone know why this is happening?

Error.PNG

• Level 5*

Hi.  Looks like a communications problem with Word somehow.  Documents aren't just 'attached' to a note,  in Windows they're encoded into the Evernote database and have to be decoded and saved into your Databases/Attachments folder as separate files before Word can 'see' them.  In the case of that error message Word is looking for the file as part of your normal folder structure,  and not in the Attachments folder.  Are you double-clicking the attachment to open it,  and saving the completed changes back to the same file?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Jorgen321 said:

Does anyone know why this is happening?

As @gazumped said, there seems to be a delay in exporting the Word file from the Evernote database

You might look at optimizing or rebuilding the database

• Level 5*

There was a bit of a delay in accessing my database too - I remember now that Word has a nasty habit of hanging on to a file as long as it is open;  you can close the file down,  but if word is still active,  the system believes the file is still in play,  so won't allow further access.  I found it necessary to shut word down to release a file before I could open it again as a new process.

On 11.10.2017 at 5:19 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Looks like a communications problem with Word somehow.  Documents aren't just 'attached' to a note,  in Windows they're encoded into the Evernote database and have to be decoded and saved into your Databases/Attachments folder as separate files before Word can 'see' them.  In the case of that error message Word is looking for the file as part of your normal folder structure,  and not in the Attachments folder.  Are you double-clicking the attachment to open it,  and saving the completed changes back to the same file?

It seems I only get the error when double-clicking. Have not managed to ge the error when right-clicking. Edits are saved back to the same file (the one in EN directory). 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Jorgen321 said:

Edits are saved back to the same file (the one in EN directory). 

Yes, that's correct. That's the file that Evernote create for you when you double click on it to edit it, and the idea is that when you save, the edited file is picked up by Evernote and stored in your note, and theoretically, that file is removed from disk.

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, jefito said:

and theoretically, that file is removed from disk.

And therein lies the rub.  Best to go to the Attachments folder and delete its contents from time to time.  Just about every Word doc I open leaves a DocumentName.doc.backup file in Attachments.  Ditto for Excel.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, csihilling said:

And therein lies the rub.  Best to go to the Attachments folder and delete its contents from time to time.  Just about every Word doc I open leaves a DocumentName.doc.backup file in Attachments.  Ditto for Excel.

Yep. It's not clear to me who's creating the .doc.backup file. If it's Word, then removing it isn't up to Evernote. Flip side is that I don't see word creating .doc.backup files on normal files, so it's a bit of a mystery.

• Level 5*

Weird too that I have ordinary DOC files in there.  I'm sure I had a quote somewhere from one of the devs that Windows apps need a separate file to work on,  so the Attachment file is created to allow the app to open and edit the document.  When Word (for example) 'closes' the file however,  there's no way for Evernote to tell whether that's a complete close-down,  or just a temporary lull in activity.  Evernote will update the Note copy of the file whenever it's closed,  but Evernote can't delete the file because you might still be working on it...

Don't know whether the situation has changed more recently...

Archived